Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:56 PM
    Ebico energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ebico

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 2:02 PM.
Page 7
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 20th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    footyguy

"There are a number of no standing charge tariffs available from alternative suppliers."

Can you let me know who they are please? I see that one of them is

solarplicity but who are the others?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 21st Jan 18, 3:11 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    If you go to the MSE Cheap Energy club - it allows you to filter results to just zero standing charge tariffs.

No idea why anyone would, as I'm interested in paying the lowest cost irrespective of how the tariff is actually made up. But if you want it, the facility is there.

Other comparison sites are available
    (but not sure off the top of my head any with the same filter)
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I answered how to uncover the details in the post you quoted the first line of

There are a number of no standing charge tariffs available from alternative suppliers.

If you use the MSE Cheap Energy Club, you can filter by zero standing charge tariffs if you want, but I suggest you don't - afterall, surely you just want the lowest cost no matter how the tariff is made up?

However, if you really want a zero standing charge tariff at whatever cost, ensure you check all the alternative forms of payment, as some are direct debit only, etc, so are only displayed when you choose the appropriate payment method.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 13th Feb 18, 5:56 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Xenon
    I have to echo some of the points already made in this thread

Ebico Zero tariff

Just had my 1st bill - will not bother going into detail but again an estimate when i have given readings - which are way wrong and in their favour...surprise surprise.

About 4 times what my actual bill should be - will give them a chance to fix or i go elsewhere.

Not good enough
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 14th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Xenon
    I have to echo some of the points already made in this thread

Ebico Zero tariff

Just had my 1st bill - will not bother going into detail but again an estimate when i have given readings - which are way wrong and in their favour...surprise surprise.

About 4 times what my actual bill should be - will give them a chance to fix or i go elsewhere.

Not good enough
    Originally posted by Xenon
    To update for reference - called today - quickly sorted with new correct bill arriving by email soon after.

So previous rant can be downgraded to minor quibble !

Happy with that
    • hehoho
    • By hehoho 18th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    hehoho
    I'm off to Octopus!
    In December Ebico sent me a bill for 150% of my annual energy useage...

Rang Ebico last month to say that I'd been with them since April 2017 and had yet to receive an accurate bill, despite providing readings. The person I spoke to was surprisingly helpful and sent me an accurate bill, including all the readings I'd provided in the previous 9 months.

However with the previous overwhelming rudeness, poor service, and forthcoming price rise, CLC's deal from Which-rated Octopus meant it was a no-brainer.

I'm off to Octopus!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 18th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 5,942 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    LeeUK
    When I was on Robin Hood, you had to submit your readings on the 5th night of the 5 day "meter reading" window if you wanted an accurate bill. If you submitted a reading on say the 1st day, they would still send you an estimated bill.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 18th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    Anthorn
    When I was on Robin Hood, you had to submit your readings on the 5th night of the 5 day "meter reading" window if you wanted an accurate bill. If you submitted a reading on say the 1st day, they would still send you an estimated bill.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Well, if a meter reading is submitted too early the resulting bill should be based on that reading. Pretty easy to do: Divide the energy used by the number of days since the last reading and then estimate the actual bill over a greater number of days based on that. This is exactly what Scottish Power does and it's pretty accurate.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 18th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 5,942 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Well, if a meter reading is submitted too early the resulting bill should be based on that reading. Pretty easy to do: Divide the energy used by the number of days since the last reading and then estimate the actual bill over a greater number of days based on that. This is exactly what Scottish Power does and it's pretty accurate.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Was never accurate and was discussed on here a year ago or so. Also how is it submitted too early if it was submitted after they had asked for the reading?

No idea about Scottish Power, I would never touch them.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 19th Feb 18, 8:27 AM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Was never accurate and was discussed on here a year ago or so. Also how is it submitted too early if it was submitted after they had asked for the reading?

No idea about Scottish Power, I would never touch them.
    Contradictory: You quote my post about Scottish Power and criticise it and then state you have no idea about Scottish Power.

I pay by monthly direct debit, submit readings monthly and Scottish Power produce the bill monthly at the same time every month. Usually my monthly payment is taken by direct debit, two days later I submit my readings and then two days after that SP produce the bill. There have been occasions when I could not be at home at the time the readings are due and I submit the readings early. Then Scottish Power estimate that reading based on my early reading and as I said the estimated reading is pretty accurate.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 19th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 5,942 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Contradictory: You quote my post about Scottish Power and criticise it and then state you have no idea about Scottish Power.
    I'm talking about Ebico, which is the subject of this thread. Ebico is just Robin Hood Energy with a different colour scheme.

My beef with Scottish Power is because they wanted £200 per fuel upfront when I moved into a rented flat some years ago when I was under the deemed contract. Also the way they spoke to me on the phone about it as if I was !!!!ing on their lawn.

Needless to say it didn't happen, I started a switch straight away and only paid them for the few weeks usage that I had used.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 4th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3,592 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I'm talking about Ebico, which is the subject of this thread. Ebico is just Robin Hood Energy with a different colour scheme.

My beef with Scottish Power is because they wanted £200 per fuel upfront when I moved into a rented flat some years ago when I was under the deemed contract. Also the way they spoke to me on the phone about it as if I was !!!!ing on their lawn.

Needless to say it didn't happen, I started a switch straight away and only paid them for the few weeks usage that I had used.
    Certainly not my experience of Scottish Power. When I moved Scottish Power ended my contract without charging me the exit fee because the property was already served by British Gas which insisted that I had an account with them in order to immediately continue supplying me with gas and electric. I then switched to Scottish Power which was my free choice.

What it comes down to is whether a tariff is transferrable and as far as I know SP online tariffs are not transferrable. In that case the tariff and the account is closed when moving to a new address.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 15th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Is the use of night time electricity free of charge?

I have never looked at this firm before, I am with EDF at the moment in my small flat. I use a lot of night time electricity.

Info from Energy helpline today.

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 15th Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    2.3. Whilst on this Tariff, you should not consume more than 60% of your electricity during the
    night period.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 5,942 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Certainly not my experience of Scottish Power. When I moved Scottish Power ended my contract without charging me the exit fee because the property was already served by British Gas which insisted that I had an account with them in order to immediately continue supplying me with gas and electric. I then switched to Scottish Power which was my free choice.

What it comes down to is whether a tariff is transferrable and as far as I know SP online tariffs are not transferrable. In that case the tariff and the account is closed when moving to a new address.
    I wasn't a SP customer, they were already supplying the flat I moved into. They wanted £200 per fuel (£400) upfront when I phone them to put the account into my name. I was never a SP customer before or after.

Obviously Scottish Power don't like dirty renters.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 5,942 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Is the use of night time electricity free of charge?

I have never looked at this firm before, I am with EDF at the moment in my small flat. I use a lot of night time electricity.

Info from Energy helpline today.

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
    Originally posted by Fortyfoot
    https://ebico.org.uk/energy-plans/ebico-night-owl/
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 16th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Thanks to all of you, I use over 60%, so this and all the other problems listed on here I will definitely give them a miss!

I will stay with EDF I think.

Fortyfoot
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 5,942 Posts
    • 2,709 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Thanks to all of you, I use over 60%, so this and all the other problems listed on here I will definitely give them a miss!

I will stay with EDF I think.

Fortyfoot
    Originally posted by Fortyfoot
    Night time rate on Ebico Night Owl E7 tariff is indeed 0p but it's a higher day rate and the standing charge is 50p a day!

So unless you're planning on mining bitcoins only at night, then it's probably not worth it.
    • dave_dph
    • By dave_dph 16th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    dave_dph
    My Scottish Power tariff expires at the end of this month and I'm about to switch to Ebico Night Owl. Between April and the end of September my night usage is about 57%, obviously this increases drastically once the storage heaters go on. Even if I get booted off the Night Owl tariff after 6 - 9 months I'll have saved substantially against the next cheapest tariff available to me. I just need to time my switch to Ebico to coincide with the storage heaters being switched off in the next few weeks.
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 26th Mar 18, 10:49 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    I am almost in the same position as dave_dph. My SP tarrif expires at the end of the month (I know I am late considering switching). My night usage seems to be almost 66%. So what will happen if I switch to Night Owl? Will they start charging for the 6% over the limit?
    I thank you for reading this message. Maybe you will thank me for posting it!
    • dave_dph
    • By dave_dph 27th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    dave_dph
    I decided against it!

I called them up to clarify a few points and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it. They assess the account every month. If they haven't fitted (or as in my case can't fit) a smart meter, you need to submit readings on a monthly basis. Once your night usage goes over 60% they give you notice (2 weeks if I remember correctly) that they will be moving you onto their Ebico Zero tariff; at this point you can choose to switch supplier with no exit fee.

My own calculations prove Night Owl to give little saving against other suppliers during April to October; and it was likely I would only get one autumn month on the tariff before being booted off! For me it wasn't going to achieve major savings as I wouldn't benefit from 'free' heating for 6 months.

The guy I spoke to agreed that 60% usage is far too low for people using storage heaters, but said it wouldn't be cost effective for them to increase the threshold! He estimated that 80% of customers currently on the tariff would be booted off once we get to the cooler months.

I have gone with EDF Online Saver April '19 with £30 Quidco cashback. For me it works out about £45 per year more that the cheapest suppliers (not including Night Owl), but having got fingers burnt helping family members switch to Extra Energy a few years back, I decided against the cheapest smaller suppliers, all of which have very bad reviews.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,097Posts Today

5,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin