Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PS156
    • By PS156 12th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PS156
    Paying off Mortgage with Credit Card after PSD2
    • 12th Feb 18, 9:25 PM
    Paying off Mortgage with Credit Card after PSD2 12th Feb 18 at 9:25 PM
    Hi All,

I'm about to start paying off my first Mortgage. Now that PSD2 has been introduced and firms can no longer apply a surcharge for credit card payments, I wondered if it would be worth paying the mortgage every month on a rewards/airmiles card to get something back?

I'd set up a Direct Debit to pay it off from my bank account immediately. Anyone know if HSBC [my lender] would accept this set-up?

Cheers.
    Last edited by PS156; 12-02-2018 at 9:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 1
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 13th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 13th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    Just because they cannot apply a surcharge doesn't mean that they have to accept a credit card as a payment method. The vast majority of lenders will not accept the payment of a mortgage (or loan) by a credit card. AFAIK, HSBC would not accept payment in this way.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 13th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 9,878 Posts
    • 5,312 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 13th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    Sorry but most if not all Lenders will refuse to accept mortgage payments from a credit card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,777Posts Today

5,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin