Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Debbo1
    • By Debbo1 8th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Court action for overpayment of Child Support
    • #1
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:09 PM
    Court action for overpayment of Child Support 8th Feb 18 at 1:09 PM
    Hi, My ex is threatening to take me to small claims court to recoup overpayment of Child Maintenance. Situation is that my child left college course to complete next level of course on apprenticeship. I assumed this came under continued education and therefore didn't tel ex of the move. He continued to pay as I thought he would wish to. He's discovered he didn't need to pay now my son is on apprenticeship and wants almost 2k back or he'll go to the police saying I've obtained money by deception and then he will get the money off me via small claims court. We had a private arrangement in place following the CMS move to charge for administration of transactions. I don't have this kind of money and I genuinely didn't know the apprenticeship wasn't education. What are the legalities on this.
Page 1
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    The police are very unlikely to get involved as they will deem it a civil matter and his only redress would be the small claims court if he has indeed overpaid. Alternatively you could reach agreement with him to pay over a reasonable period of time.

    Apprentenships cause quite a bit of confusion but it seems that if they are of the unpaid type (foundation apprentenships) then child maintennace can continue.
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 8th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    You should pay him back IF he has overpaid, simple as that.

    If he had underpaid, would you just let it go? Or would you want what you should have received?

    If you can't afford it then make a repayment plan to pay it off over a period of time.....just like he would have to do if the roles were reversed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,097Posts Today

5,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin