Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    maman wrote: »

That's the ethos of many, if not most, schools currently. It's probably the main reason for the retention crisis in the profession. Teachers generally cite workload above the relatively poor salaries and unruly pupils. Unfortunately it's often exacerbated in schools that offer training on the job as they see themselves as 'outstanding' and have achieved that through working 24/7.

It's the stories from current teachers that put my eldest son off from going into it finally. All through university he had plans to be a teacher, had even tentatively organised a placement for this September but the horror stories made him think again.

He's starting a graduate office job in a few weeks although he has promised to look into teaching again in a year or so time when he is more financially sorted and has more life experience.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Thats absolutely the thing to keep in mind as you go forward.
    Save

Thanks, Karmacat. :)
    This is very true. If you get through the training and get your qualified teacher status, there will be other doors open besides full time school positions.

A very good friend of mine was ambitious when she started her teaching career, was head of department within 5 years, but was getting burned out and exhausted.

Then she dropped to two days a week after having her first child, and she's never looked back. Two days allows her to get back to basics and just enjoy teaching while also having plenty of time with her young family.

I do hope you can get some decent rest soon and start to feel more on top of things, and I am delighted to hear that your wife and your cousin are supporting you and coming through for you.

Thanks, Red Squirrel. :)
    Alex, may I pick your brains regarding a musical issue? It's a bit silly but you might be able to help...

HBS x

Of course. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    SingleSue wrote: »
    It's the stories from current teachers that put my eldest son off from going into it finally. All through university he had plans to be a teacher, had even tentatively organised a placement for this September but the horror stories made him think again.

He's starting a graduate office job in a few weeks although he has promised to look into teaching again in a year or so time when he is more financially sorted and has more life experience.

I hope it works out for him, Single Sue. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Going to admit to not keeping up with this and the spending getting out of control. On the plus side, my business interests seem to be working really well (typical! :rotfl:) and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying working with my wife on the property project. Learning lots. :)

Start as I mean to go on with ... Organise end of month treat ... :D
    Overpayment: Make one even if it is only £50. :rotfl:
    Food budget: Dread to think. :o
    Meat free days: 7/10.
    No work weekends: 3 / 3.
    15 minutes piano practise each morning: Most days. :)
    At least 10,000 steps per day: 18,000 today.
    10 minutes exercise (not inc. walking): :rotfl:
    A/F school nights: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    but most importantly ... Get through the month!:eek:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I know how easy it is for the spending controls to unravel Alex...just saying :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 25 September 2017 at 10:06PM
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I know how easy it is for the spending controls to unravel Alex...just saying :)

Thanks, Watty. I know I’m outnumbered on here but I struggle not to buy things on most days, to be honest. Only dared to have a look at next months CC bill and it’s not good. Won’t be getting into any debt as it’ll be paid in full but I’ve started buying things without thinking again.

Apart from the property and antiques business I’m not doing very well. Even my son was really annoying me tonight. Dreading Mrs K being away later on in the week. Seem to be finding people in general annoying, to be honest. Really cannot get on with anyone at the moment apart from Mrs. K. strangely. :rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AlexLK wrote: »
    I know I’m outnumbered on here but I struggle not to buy things on most days, to be honest.
    Then thats one of the reasons that you're here! Good for you for saying it.
    Only dared to have a look at next months CC bill and it’s not good. Won’t be getting into any debt as it’ll be paid in full but I’ve started buying things without thinking again.
    And you've become conscious of it after only a month. We all fall back on old behaviours during stressful times. And doing a teaching course is a stressful time. Yes. It is!
    Apart from the property and antiques business I’m not doing very well. Even my son was really annoying me tonight. Dreading Mrs K being away later on in the week. Seem to be finding people in general annoying, to be honest. Really cannot get on with anyone at the moment apart from Mrs. K. strangely. :rotfl:
    See above. Its a stressful time! So use the adrenaline of stress to do jumping jacks or do an exercise video off youtube or something. With your son, maybe :)

And how lovely is it that even during this stressful time, Mrs K is the one person not annoying you :j

You're doing great :j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Then thats one of the reasons that you're here! Good for you for saying it.

And you've become conscious of it after only a month. We all fall back on old behaviours during stressful times. And doing a teaching course is a stressful time. Yes. It is!

See above. Its a stressful time! So use the adrenaline of stress to do jumping jacks or do an exercise video off youtube or something. With your son, maybe :)

And how lovely is it that even during this stressful time, Mrs K is the one person not annoying you :j

You're doing great :j
    Save

Thanks, karmacat. :)

I’m managing not to be too indulgent this week and have cut back on the wine with (and after) dinner. We have also made a £50 token gesture overpayment.

Think I’ll try the youtube exercise video as I’m sure my son will find it fun. :j Most of my time is being spent on the businesses and I’m struggling to find the will to carry on with the course. Spent a lot of time looking into this and as much time as I could in schools beforehand but am having a complete change of outlook about it at the moment, unfortunately.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    There is no shame in (a) stopping if you have realised it is not for you (b) deciding to gain the qualification and then re-think as you will always have it to "fall back to" if you change your mind later.
    I'm rethinking a lot at the moment. I think it is fine to learn and move on.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Watty1 wrote: »
    There is no shame in (a) stopping if you have realised it is not for you (b) deciding to gain the qualification and then re-think as you will always have it to "fall back to" if you change your mind later.
    I'm rethinking a lot at the moment. I think it is fine to learn and move on.

I agree.

I know you did your research and lots of volunteering before starting the course. If the problem is the particular school you're training in then it may be worth just biting the bullet and getting the qualification. What is it that's making you have this change of outlook?:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure