Experiences of claiming pip on mental health grounds.

Options
I currently claim DLA as I have Bipolar disorder which has a great impact on my life. However, my claim is due to end in August.

I know I will soon receive an invite to claim pip, however I have heard some horror stories relating to applying for this benefit on mental health grounds.

I would just like to hear peoples experiences please.

Comments

• Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First claim in 2013. 0 points after my GP (who I now realise was useless) said I had very mild depression. Taken to MR stage then dropped after they continued to insist that there was nothing wrong.
    Second claim, made initially last year. Awarded six points for care after letter sent from psychiatrist confirming diagnosis of severe anxiety and depressive disorder as a result of cancer. Now at MR stage after they ignored my food and choking phobias but Im not confident!!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have bipolar too, the devi lmade me do it, and i'm dreading my DLA running out next year. The thought of applying (and most likely being turned down for) PIP scares the hell out of me, so i shall be following your thread to see what other have expereience.
  • mad_spaniel
    Options
    Bipolar 1
    recount exuberant, over the top behaviour or thoughts, not stopping or caring about self because too busy, thoughts speech,whizzing over confidence ,not washing, taking medication for that reason, forgetting things on the stove or too busy to eat, not realising when to seek medical help or support, grandiose ideas, spending too much, too busy to attend to post, bills. appropriateness of behaviour
    Then contrast it with examples of deep depression, lethargy, indifference, hiding away, not washing, changing clothes, suicidal ideas or examples of being an in patient. All the negatives of what it means to you of being bipolar.
    Bipolar 2. Describe the less manic aspects and all the depressive elements, as above
  • mad_spaniel
    Options
    Just to add- I helped a friend fill in her PIP form. It contained all of the above. She didn't get called for a medical and got enhanced rate care and mobility for Bipolar 1, so it's not all doom and gloom. Plus it was all done, dusted and arrears paid within 11 weeks. Look up the Descriptors and points at
    https://www.adviceguide.org.uk/.../pip_9_table_of_activities_descriptors_and_
    Focus your form filling to address each point in turn
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Properly looking at the descriptors i think i could potentially get the lower rate, thanks for the info. I was worried being on the lower rates for mobility and care i wouldn't get anything for PIP, i have bipolar 2 but have many of the manic symptoms you listed, generally the only manic one i don't get is psychosis.
  • 925dancer
    925dancer Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    I have BPII, agroaphobia, anxiety, PTSD. First time declined, MR was awarded low rate care (at that time I didn't have the BPII diagnosis, was on the endless waiting list to see psychiatrist).

Just had my renewal, no face to face this time and was awarded low rate care until 2018. Goof form filling and good evidence are key I'd say.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Thanks all. Much appreciated.

It just seems that those of us with mental health problems really get the short straw. Our conditions do have a detrimental impact on our lives and it's hardly recognised.
  • Chouette
    Chouette Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I wish I had a good experience to relate.
    Originally on low rate care and mobility, I scored 0 points on moving to PIP. It very much focused on what I could physically do, regardless of whether or not I could motivate myself to actually do it and the reasoning on the refusal letter was a bit strange. Nothing I said about my suspected ASD could be considered because I'm stuck on the eternal waiting list for diagnosis, and the assessor was very clear that if I don't have a diagnosis it won't count for PIP.

I was somewhat baffled to read that I apparently told the assessor I go out shopping every day and chat a lot to my friends on the phone. I must have been delusional, because I get my shopping delivered and barely make it out the house once a week. And I HATE phone calls.

On the positive side, that triggered an ESA review, which I'm pleased to say got me moved from the WRAG group to the support group!

On balance, I think it was probably a positive outcome, but not for any reason connected to PIP.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    I am already in the support group fortunately.

My partner has joined the local carers society, so am hoping when the dreaded day comes they will be able to offer advice\help filling in the forms.

I'm so stressed about it already and haven't even received an invitation to claim pip yet.
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    I currently claim DLA as I have Bipolar disorder which has a great impact on my life. However, my claim is due to end in August.

I know I will soon receive an invite to claim pip, however I have heard some horror stories relating to applying for this benefit on mental health grounds.

I would just like to hear peoples experiences please.

I heard the same. I don't claim any benefit for my problems, I see it as a waste of my time filling in the forms especially after seeing what they did to my wife's claim as well as to friends I know.

Amongst my many difficulties is mental health. I am still seeing a doctor at the Neuro Psychiatry dept at the hospital following brain damage to the frontal lobe caused by an accident years ago. \I wouldn't know where to start trying to explain my difficulties to a stranger.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure