Excellent credit score, likelihood, earnings...yet can't get a loan

hiohaa
hiohaa Posts: 44 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
My net income is £2636 a month. I have savings of £4k.
My monthly outgoings are £1200 including rent at £600.
I was employed from 2009-2012 earning 30k.
Then employed from 2014-2016 earning 45k.
Went back to uni, did a masters. Been at my new job 6 months, earning 49k.

I have no debts. No dependents, no loans. No nothing. I've been using a santander credit card since 2014 which i always paid off in full every month via direct debit without fail. Never been in debt since i graduated back in 2009.
At the moment there's a balance of 3k on it out of 7k, because i bought a decent tv last month.

My credit history is flawless, my credit score via experian report + the moneysavingexpert club thing all checked out - scores of 970, loan eligibility all 90%+ for 3% loans. All the soft searches came back good.

I've just tried applying for loans today, for £24,500, for a car purchase.
Most of them came back with unable to provide the loan. The best rate i got was from the post office at 7.9%.

I just don't understand it. What do you have to do to be eligible for a 3% loan these days??

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    hiohaa wrote: »
    My net income is £2636 a month. I have savings of £4k.
    My monthly outgoings are £1200 including rent at £600.
    I was employed from 2009-2012 earning 30k.
    Then employed from 2014-2016 earning 45k.
    Went back to uni, did a masters. Been at my new job 6 months, earning 49k.

I have no debts. No dependents, no loans. No nothing. I've been using a santander credit card since 2014 which i always paid off in full every month via direct debit without fail. Never been in debt since i graduated back in 2009.
    At the moment there's a balance of 3k on it out of 7k, because i bought a decent tv last month.

My credit history is flawless, my credit score via experian report + the moneysavingexpert club thing all checked out - scores of 970, loan eligibility all 90%+ for 3% loans. All the soft searches came back good.

I've just tried applying for loans today, for £24,500, for a car purchase.
    Most of them came back with unable to provide the loan. The best rate i got was from the post office at 7.9%.

I just don't understand it. What do you have to do to be eligible for a 3% loan these days??

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

It could be anything, affordability, length of time in your current job. Have you checked all 3 credit (Equifax and Call Credit in addition to Equifax) files to view your history?

How many applications have you made so far? More the two and you will look like a desperado to lenders.
  • Pixie5740
    If you're hellbent on borrow that much to buy a car have you considered finance from the dealership as that often comes with incentives?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Affordability looks to be the main issue.
  • hiohaa
    edited 11 May 2018 at 8:02PM
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

It could be anything, affordability, length of time in your current job. Have you checked all 3 credit (Equifax and Call Credit in addition to Equifax) files to view your history?

How many applications have you made so far? More the two and you will look like a desperado to lenders.

well i did the experian thing and the moneysavingexpert thing also...
    didn't try the other 2.

Well as for Applying to more than 2 lenders - I did some research into this and i don't think its accurate - the systems are clever enough to distinguish between someone shopping around for a loan rate, or whether they are seeking funds because they are in trouble.
    If i've been firing away say 6 applications in last 3 hours, it shouldn't affect the rating.

I will find the source for that info, read it somewhere in an article....

on the flip side many articles also say this:
    "If you make several applications for credit in a short period of time, this may have an even greater impact on your credit score. This is because having several hard searches carried out in quick succession may appear to anyone looking at your credit report that you!!!8217;re desperate for credit, or that you!!!8217;re suddenly struggling with your current debt."

which i don't get, because how else are you supposed to shop around for the best quote?
  • hiohaa
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

here we go - found the article on this:
    https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/will-rate-shopping-hurt-my-score/

So will rate shopping hurt my credit score?
    Yes and no. You probably know that each time you apply for a new line of credit you’re normally hit with a hard inquiry. Hard inquiries can negatively affect your score, so moving from lender to lender and piling up a bunch of these in a small period of time is probably not a great idea.

Still, depending on what type of credit you’re shopping around for and what model you’re getting your score from, the extent of the damage can vary. If you’re looking for an auto loan or mortgage specifically, some credit score models will allow for some level of shopping around by essentially viewing multiple inquiries within a certain time period as just one. Bureaus usually identify the fact that you’re comparison shopping by noticing the types of credit lines you’re applying for and the size of your requested loan, so it may be best to stay consistent. The time period over which you can rate shop under these models without feeling the effect of multiple inquiries can vary and is often from around 14 days to up to 45.

Beware that a single inquiry could still have a somewhat negative effect on your credit. Also keep in in mind that this rate shopping adjustment is only adopted by some credit score models and usually only applies to auto loans and mortgages. So if you’re applying for a dozen credit cards over a month or two, you’re likely to still incur a bunch of hard inquiries.
  • hiohaa
    oh well - if i can't get a decent rate i can't get it - simple as that. I'll just have to do it the traditional way, and save up for 2 years.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    You are asking to borrow half a hear!!!8217;s Gross salary (not net) only a few months into a new job. This does not sound like a brilliant idea from the perspective of the lender.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    That looks like an American article.

Lenders in the UK do tend to be cautious around multiple applications for most types of credit.
  • Pixie5740
    That looks and sounds like a website based in the US of A talking about credit reference agencies in the US of A, not the UK.
  • hiohaa
    John-K wrote: »
    You are asking to borrow half a hear!!!8217;s Gross salary (not net) only a few months into a new job. This does not sound like a brilliant idea from the perspective of the lender.

so you reckon the algorithms can see that then, and go 'he's been earning this much for 6 months only, bit dodgy'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure