Appealing disciplinary?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    damoC wrote: »
    Thanks, I will do. No one was hurt but the bottom panel needs replacing. My boss said it's not uncommon but he also said it would be disciplinary.

It sounds from your boss's comment that a disciplinary investigation is automatic after an incident such as that, and to be honest it really should be. What happened was basically a lapse in concentration and it could just as easily have been a person stood where you didn't expect them to be.
    I wouldn't expect the outcome to be anything more than a slap on the wrist, again because of your boss's reaction and comment.
  • mariefab
    mariefab Posts: 320 Forumite
    Didn't the training you received before you passed your test stress that you should always travel with the forks lowered, but clear of the ground?

I ask because it's normal for this to be emphasised in any FTL training but your boss says that that this sort of accident isn't uncommon.
  • FLT accidents are very,very common. My last work place you often had to bring in loads lifted high in order to clear other objects that were around, and this could cause very,very close misses with the shutter doors.

A few people clipped the top of them because some people develop a habit of if you are lifting a load up as you are moving in order to bring it above ground level or to clear other objects, you often forget to check the height that the mast is sitting at, rather than the forks.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How about waiting until something "happens"?

It maybe just a simple verbal.

A fair company would consider you were newly qualified I would hope.
  • Why is it an unfair decision?

You damaged company property due to your own negligence. A disciplinary would be the right course for your employer.

Hopefully you are not an employer or manager.

Bearing in mind the OP was a rookie fork truck driver, this would have some bearing on the cause of the incident.

I defy anyone who has just passed their driving test to state they never made a mistake in their first few months of driving. I certainly did!

I would suggest the incident was not due to negligence, but inexperience. The OP would certainly have learned a lesson.

Maybe the employer could install air doors that lift and lower when a flat requires access or instruct staff that doors should either be fully raised or closed to avoid a repeat incident.

These things happen and it would be a harsh decision to discipline someone for an incident that was neither malicious or intentional.
  • damoC wrote: »
    Thanks, I will do. No one was hurt but the bottom panel needs replacing. My boss said it's not uncommon but he also said it would be disciplinary. I've been there for 3 years so I know they won't get rid of me. I can afford to have a disciplinary as my record is squeeky clean but would prefer not to have one.

@JReacher1 yes I agree and have been beating myself up the second I heard the noise.
    They need to discipline you based on the point that if they don't and you screw up again it makes it more difficult to sack you.

A mistake like that as a one off employers on the whole can accept....repeated !!!! ups.....well.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Hopefully you are not an employer or manager.

Bearing in mind the OP was a rookie fork truck driver, this would have some bearing on the cause of the incident.

I defy anyone who has just passed their driving test to state they never made a mistake in their first few months of driving. I certainly did!

I would suggest the incident was not due to negligence, but inexperience. The OP would certainly have learned a lesson.

Maybe the employer could install air doors that lift and lower when a flat requires access or instruct staff that doors should either be fully raised or closed to avoid a repeat incident.

These things happen and it would be a harsh decision to discipline someone for an incident that was neither malicious or intentional.
    I normally agree with you but the OP clearly was negligent, being a new FLT driver doesn't have any bearing on it. If someone crashed a car a day after passing their test due to negiligence the effect wouldn't be more leniant due to their newness.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I normally agree with you but the OP clearly was negligent, being a new FLT driver doesn't have any bearing on it. If someone crashed a car a day after passing their test due to negiligence the effect wouldn't be more leniant due to their newness.

Fair enough.....let’s just agree to disagree.

One of the telling aspects however, was the apparent frequency of these incidents.

Now that could suggest from an investigative perspective that there is something other than human factors having a contributory element.

It could be the physical features of the area the incidents occur such as layout, congested routings, lighting, , the quality of training ( some fork truck drivers are trained in house and may not be RTTIB accredited), lack of attention caused by tiredness or long working hours.

Where I was responsible for H&S at a former workplace, we had one guy who was having a lot of similar incidents on his FLT and the damage to plant and stock was becoming an issue.

Disciplining the guy would be a futile exercise if there was another factor causing these frequent events.

He was deemed ‘accident prone’ ‘clumsy’ and many other derogatory names by management and colleagues.

Having discussed the problem with HR, it was decided that ALL flt drivers should have to undergo a dvla type medical.

It turned out the guy in question had an eye problem where he couldn’t gauge distance. Not only that, many of his colleagues were discovered to have problems such as high blood pressure and other medical issues that could be addressed.

Accidents are not caused by one single failure.....there will be other factors that will have a bearing on the cause.....unfortunately, it is too easy to blame an individual.
  • damoC wrote: »
    So long story short I passed my FLT test at work last week and unfortunatley I 'crashed' into some roller doors.
    It was a complete accident. I thought the doors were high enough but didn't account for the forks being raised when backing out of the warehouse(I got in fine). My boss says it's a classic flt driver mistake.

If I get a disciplinary, would I have reasonable grounds to appeal it as an unfair desicion?
    Since it was a complete accident and I've only been on them for 1 week.
    Cheers

No. You shouldn't be driving with the forks raised.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hopefully you are not an employer or manager.

I have been a manager, but in the days before disciplinaries.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure