Correction in progress!

I've just seen the largest (single day) spike in volatility I've ever experienced (currently @ 106%). Certainly it's looking like this is going to be the largest correction since 2015!

https://uk.investing.com/indices/volatility-s-p-500-chart

Time to look at what to buy with the cash I've been holding!

More inclined to look at overseas assets/equities, but I have been thinking about buying some UK micro-cap for a while, and possibly some Chinese equities. Any one else shopping right now? :D

Comments

• bcfclee27
    bcfclee27 Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been debating whether to Start investing for a while now.
    With prices dropping as they are would now be a good time to dip my toe......
  • I would say so, depending on which asset. I wouldn't necessarily go all in right away though. Today might just be the start.
  • If you look at past corrections, you will see that they can last quite a long while. At present we have seen no more than a few gentle waves hitting the coastline. The tsunami may well be out at sea and approaching. I invested twice during the GFC, with a substantial drop between the first and second.
  • bcfclee27
    Good advice.

Think I may dip my toe in with a small amount and add in as and when I see fit...
  • bcfclee27
    I would say so, depending on which asset. I wouldn't necessarily go all in right away though. Today might just be the start.

Would VLS or HSBC global strategy be worth a little amount with how things have gone ?

One is more uk bias and the other quite heavy US
  • Both are down. This isn't even remotely a crash. so as long as you are mentally prepared to see as I have 1000 knocked off a 25k investment then crack on. I find it helps to compare to my pension which is also In a 100%equity tracker and has fallen 5k as I have alot more in that. I'm not concerned and will be putting my standard amount in as normal this month plus maybe a bit extra
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Wow the s&p is tanking pretty hard now. Someone hit up Donald Trump on twitter and ask him to fix it.
  • bcfclee27 wrote: »
    Would VLS or HSBC global strategy be worth a little amount with how things have gone ?

One is more uk bias and the other quite heavy US

I don't monitor those two funds, so I couldn't say for sure.

In the past I have found it easier to time my buys better with US/overseas equities due to the time difference. I like to look at the top 10 asset holdings of a fund, and see how they have done, then if there has been a dip, I'll buy overnight to catch the valuation point the following day. This works better with more concentrated funds that have around 50% or more of their portfolio invested in the top 10 assets.

I do suspect that today may just be the start, so if you do buy now, definitely dip your toe in with a smallish (but still significant) amount first. I could be wrong of course, in which case you may regret not having bought more, but look out for the "dead cat bounces".
  • Yep Down Jones -1100 points......so about 7% in two days. Of course 10% swings are nothing abnormal, but the recent run up in stocks is......so I expect this to continue for a while until we get back to sensible levels which I think is Dow below 20k
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    As a new investor, I have been saving up a lump sum of £4000 to add to my currently maxed Nutmeg LISA in the new tax year.

Maybe I can get more for my money in April! I will be watching with interest :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure