Prolific Academic Survey Alerts

Comments

• mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I seem to recall this was mentioned ages ago, probably on this thread's last incarnation, that the assistant is nothing to do with PA. Were it so, one would think they could exert some control over it and stop it from crashing their server as it does. What do I know? I'm not an IT lecturer, nor have I ever been. :cool:

LOL. If only eh.....its effectively hitting F5 on the website constantly....and many listeners are doing it and basically turning it into a DDOS attack.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I seem to recall this was mentioned ages ago, probably on this thread's last incarnation, that the assistant is nothing to do with PA. Were it so, one would think they could exert some control over it and stop it from crashing their server as it does. What do I know? I'm not an IT lecturer, nor have I ever been. :cool:

Well, given it was me that mentioned it on the last thread, I'm glad at least one person paid attention :rotfl:

And, put it like this. As long as Prolific let you log in, it can't stop you hitting refresh 60 times a minute on their website and clogging up their tubes. And it doesn't matter whether you're doing it manually or via a plug in. I would imagine the simplest way to control the plug in is just to delete all the profiles that consistently refresh 60 times a minute to bring things down to a manageable level, but for obvious reasons I doubt they'd go there!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What is this "listeners"? What is this, the BBC World Service now?
  • Smodlet
    edited 23 March 2018 at 2:28PM
    Available Places : 237/418
    Avg. Completion Time : 5mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £10.56/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 30mins
    Reward: £ 0.88

Phones only! Grrrr!
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is the deal with the constant 404s?
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    zzzt wrote: »
    What is the deal with the constant 404s?

check the page less frequently and if you are using the extension set it to 120.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March 2018 at 4:36PM
    mikep22 wrote: »
    check the page less frequently and if you are using the extension set it to 120.
    How frequently? I was refreshing once per 30 seconds. If that causes DDoS issues for them then they need to get a better server instead of rate limiting.

Edit: 60 seconds seems to work.
  • Smodlet
    I think my extension has died. It used to bring up all these studies I could not do as soon as I opened the interweb but now nothing happens. :(
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    I think my extension has died. It used to bring up all these studies I could not do as soon as I opened the interweb but now nothing happens. :(

I managed to break visual ping yesterday - is that the one you use? I have forgotten how to set it again and haven't got the original thread to look back on! It's tough being technically challenged like me :(
  • Smodlet
    edited 18 March at 4:50PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];74065247]I managed to break visual ping yesterday - is that the one you use? I have forgotten how to set it again and haven't got the original thread to look back on! It's tough being technically challenged like me :([/QUOTE]

Gods love you, MLE007, you should try being technically challenged like me!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74063727#post74063727

Please don't show it to mikep22, he'll take the p.

I use the Prolific Assistant, the one mikep thought belonged to them but is nothing to do with them... And he's an IT lecturer so maybe there is hope for us all. :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback