PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor messing us about

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pinklady21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies -
    I am awaiting a response from our solicitors on what to do next.

Keep us posted, but I'm afraid my suggestion is that you move on and find somewhere else to buy. The seller's solicitors have been explicitly instructed not to deal with you, so any further comms are likely to be ignored or refuted.
  • Indeed, good money after bad springs to mind
  • Whatever the reason, the seller has told their solicitor very clearly that they don't wish to sell to you anymore. At that point you have to move on.

Obviously for some reason the property appealed to you regardless of its problems.. was it already at a relatively low price because of the damp etc.., and you tried to bargain it lower? I wonder if this is the reason the seller started becoming intransigent.

A seller who has taken a building's condition into account when giving a price, who is then treated to a buyer who wants to take yet more money off the price may feel like the seller is trying it on. They can feel like this even if the price was not low in the first place, they just feel its what the property is worth. This can start a mistrust. Then you lost your buyer. The seller may have just decided they wanted out.

Such is life.
  • number 2 only.

and don't offer next time on another place until it's a price you are going to stick at and keep your word on. Vendor obviously has the hump with you for trying to get another £10k off.

Your only chance is to write to or visit the vendor, be very apologetic ask to draw a line under what's happened and say you are more than happy to proceed at the agreed price.
  • Requesting a £10k reduction in the price because you found out about £30k of repairs is perfectly reasonable. In fact I would say it is generous.

I think you have to cut your losses and move on. The solicitor's email to you is crystal clear - the vendor is no longer negotiating with you.

£1,000 is not an enormous amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

If the vendor changes his mind, let them get back to you. Chasing them is not going to help.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,969
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Confused as to why you need your solicitor to advise you what to do. As others have said the vendor does not want to sell to you. End of.
  • googler
    Forumite
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Confused as to why you need your solicitor to advise you what to do. As others have said the vendor does not want to sell to you. End of.

Because the sale/purchase is in Scotland, and after an offer has been accepted, solicitors progress the missives to conclusion
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 881
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OK I am hugely confused as normally when you make an offer in Scotland it is for both price and entry date. So surely when you accepted the offer for your own home the entry date would have already been agreed?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Seems this all started with the dodgy home report,

why did that surveyor do a free refresh?
  • googler
    Forumite
    cr1mson wrote: »
    OK I am hugely confused as normally when you make an offer in Scotland it is for both price and entry date. So surely when you accepted the offer for your own home the entry date would have already been agreed?

Yes, with the buyers of the OP's house, but the OP couldn't get the seller of their target purchase to agree to the same;

"we had accepted an offer on our house, and were waiting for our buyer to conclude missives (Scotland). Our buyer wanted a date of entry in August, but the vendor refused to give us our preferred entry date"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure