PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread - 27th November 2017

Comments

• There is a fabulous book about dealing with children's behaviour.It is called 'The secret of happy children by Steve Biddulf'.When my little Grandson didn't want to go to church,I explained that it wasn't all about him and we were going,I was amazed that he just got in the car and chatted away.He was even thrilled because he could read a welcome notice!Sometimes they need to know their boundaries.
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Dining room is officially a clutter free zone ... yay me!!!!

Looks amazing - just need to wallpaper feature wall and figure out a window dressing and that room is ready for xmas day feast

Two black sacks of crap thrown
    Black sack delivered safely to charity shop
    4 ink cartridges sold by daughter on ebay (letting her keep profit for xmas presents)

Need to ring council to arrange for them to come and collect old dining chairs

Didn't get bedroom done yesterday - but I did completely declutter so only minimal dusting and hoovering which I will aim to do today

Off to a friends for coffee hoping its a quick one today and not a quickie that turns into lunch
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    Wow Piggers - you know your stuff! I've made a mental note to come back and re-read your post and take notes later. You know, once I've extracted Tiny from under his bed, replaced the half-gnawed cucumber he is chewing in the salad tray (for him to steal again later...!) redressed him, again, wiped the snot from his cheek and packed him off to preschool...

He nicked a cucumber.. that's a win in my book! Snot is part of the uniform for pre-school.
    donnajt wrote: »
    PIGPEN - what a fab post, as a parent we don't often think about how controlling we are over our babies - DS is 8 years old and your words really struck a cord - i say oh I'm giving him more independence but really i have no intention of letting go, I shall try better - I do let him choose his own clothes - even tho i end up with a room of strewn clean and dirty clothes on a daily basis - see so much better to control them lol!!!

Thank you for these words of wisdom, its often the simplest of solutions to keep us all happy x

To avoid the mess you can go watch him choose.. and help put away and close the cupboards tidily until he is trained and does it automatically.. I have mine (7, 6 and 4) put their dirty stuff in the basket, put away their own clean clothes and choose what they wear.. I cannot abide drawers being left open so they have to have everything tucked in and drawers closed, I ask them now if that is done, mainly from a safety aspect, a chest can topple over if drawers are left open so they need to close them to stay safe.. I did tell them if they don't shut drawers spiders might get in (as well as the safety aspect).. in truth the cat gets in and makes a nest, but they find that hilarious so would leave it open on purpose. I had a mouse in my drawer last time it was left open about 100 years ago, I've never done it since.

Shoes however, I have a basket for shoes and they get in there about once a year.. we can never find shoes and this morning hats are missing! It is like Toontown in here in a morning.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 9:56AM
    Morning all :wave:
    pigpen wrote: »
    ATB.. I have at least studied child psychology.. got a stickyfoot to prove it.. somewhere
    Took me a long time to work that one out :rotfl:

Brilliant thoughts, pigpen. Now I know where I went wrong with my DS2 when he was a terrible teenager, yet he has turned out great as an adult :)

"Snot is part of the uniform for pre-school" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

(((Hugs))) and coping vibes to atb - hope your new strategies with your DS prove effective x

Here's hoping the floods don't materialise, Dizzy x

I was taken out for a meal yesterday evening so I am a bit concerned about the Baileys profiteroles showing up on the SW scales this morning :eek:

Today's plan:
    - shower and dress
    - take Rosie for a short walk
    - go to SW and eat my breakfast after weigh-in ;)
    - come home and work on my essay
    - flying will consist of WMx1 and S&S kitchen and bathroom: everything is tidy (except my RoD) and a little bit of dust never hurt anyone :o
    - go to college this evening.

Catch up later - hope everyone has a good day x
  • We have had a GOOD morning :j

He got himself dressed beautifully, ate breakfast without moaning then played with lego until it was time to go. I didn't shout at all (big win for me) and we had a lovely walk to school discussing kind behaviours and why they matter.

As soon as he ran into pre-school he said to his keyworker "I am going to be so nice to you today" and gave her a hug. Her and I then chatted - she was very :mad: that ADHD had been mentioned. Basically he has formed a tight bond with twin boys, and they have been pushing the boundaries a lot recently. DS has been copying them (as children do), but she has lots of great strategies and ideas in place to teach him (and them) that such behaviour is not acceptable. In January, they start the "countdown to school" programme where he will be given a lot more responsibilities etc. There is a uniform he can wear too.

All in all, I feel much happier, but I genuinely would not feel that way if it wasn't for you lovely lovely lot, especially you Piggers.

Thank you xxxx

PS Off to Aldi now then to make chilli!
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    (((Hugs))) ATB. Fab post Piggers. *Healing vibes* and *no flooding vibes* for you, Dizzy.

I'm going to knock 10 things off that wretched list before noon, when I take OH to the station. I've had to add two more tasks to it, one of which is now done, the other will have to be done later. I'm never, ever going to catch up with myself. It's driving me mad.
    Better is good enough.
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    I'm desperate to post so that I can say that I got on here before the morning was up!!

Ditto what everyone else has said, Piggers. And more hugs to you ATB, unless we are in danger of suffocating you, in which case save mine for later.

So this morning I started with not one, but 4 lists ( whoops, spellcheck just caught that I had mistyped Lusts! I can assure you that they were most definitely Lists:rotfl: ). The mini ironing pile was blitzed and the dw emptied before taking DD to school. List 1 was then taken to Mr T which is near to school. Plus I had a voucher, but that didn't influence me at all, you understand :money:. Out of Mr T before 9, then off to big town to the retail park for the next 2 lists. 25 minutes later in a traffic jam due to roadworks, then 5 minutes due to an accident, I finally made the 15 minute trip in for 9.45. Lists ticked off in W!lk0 and Ma7alan - another voucher used. :money:

I'm back home, coffee made, wm on, shopping put away. I really need to get some flying under my belt now, plus sort through the stashed Christmas presents while nobody is in. Oh and get another charity bag ready for tomorrow's flypast the CS.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    .- [STRIKE]Write two covering letters to go with LPA and Vet thing
    [/STRIKE]- Post LPA
    - Post parcel to Vet UK
    - [STRIKE]Order from Vet UK[/STRIKE]
    - Minutes
    - [STRIKE]Visit new voluntary role place[/STRIKE]
    - Make a couple of things
    - Make another couple of things
    - [STRIKE]Get Christmas cards down from attic[/STRIKE]
    - Write some Christmas cards
    - Go to the pub and talk to the landlord about an idea we had that I need to rein in and put on hold until next year when we'll have time to organise it properly
    - Meal plan from yesterday's freezer sort
    - Sort out another space, dining room cupboards might be a good place to start
    - take small pile of gibble to nearest CS
    - First draft of letter to vet
    - [STRIKE]Do a bit of cosmetic Flying.[/STRIKE]
    - Do a bit more cosmetic flying.
    - Return two library books and get the reserved one

It's typical, isn't it. I've done 12 things that were on a listy, but that listy never made it as far as the computer. I seem to spend my time not doing what I thought was urgent as something, in fact many many things, have cropped up in the meantime that are far more urgent. As this seems to be a permanent state of affairs, clearly I am getting something very wrong. I need to work out how to be realistic about what needs doing and what I can actually get done. No wonder Flying's so far down the list and gets left until the place is a shambolic sty. I'm going to do some six hat thinking.
    Better is good enough.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Unfortunately I'm still not well enough to do anything much; however Mr LW has decluttered eleventy gazillion leaves from the back garden, ably [STRIKE]assisted[/STRIKE] supervised by Daisy Dog. She loves being outdoors, and it's a nice day, so it seemed ideal for her to go outside with him; the garden is all enclosed, so she's perfectly safe.

I have, however, managed a first draft of my next piece for the Mensa DogSIG magazine; I write an article about one of my guests (or two if they stayed together) for each edition, and I decided to write about Mary this time. It still needs a final read-through and polish, but that can wait. As with almost all publications where the content is volunteered by members, they are always desperate for copy.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    GWS wishes and squishy ((hugs)) LW. It always sounds as though the dogs staying with you have the time of their lives. If I had a dog, it would definitely love to have its holidays with you. If I lived anywhere near your part of the world, which of course I don't.

I've had a good go at the lists so far. Bedroom window was flung open, and now been closed sharpish. Bed changed and floor cleared and vacuumed. I have found where DH has been stashing his new to him treasures from FIL's house. Under our bed :mad:. And I thought he had been going into the loft with them. I had started to wonder why I wasn't getting any of the boxes that I wanted down to sort out.

LR had a quick vac, as DD and I had a movie night at the weekend and seem to have dropped some popcorn along the way.... Kitchen surfaces dusted or wiped, floor vacuumed. I'm now summoning up enthusiasm to mop the floor. I've got a couple of outside jobs to do first though. And anything else that I can think of to put off the hated mopping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure