2017 - Spend less, live more

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Adult colouring in

This is my new thing!!! I'd bought a couple of books as Xmas gifts and I bought a spare, as they were from the £££shop. I decided to have a go yesterday evening. I told OH that I wanted to get some nice colouring in pencils and he suggested I use a set DS had which I'd forgotten about and they were great.

I've now hidden my book and the pencils from the children before they destroy my 'art' work!!!!
  • chanie
    a few savings this week

Discounted cinema tickets - saving £9.58 on two tickets.

Reduced Xmas cards 43p (rrp was £4.50), but will record as £1.50, as my max price is £2).

Some bits from Holland and Barratt. The food is really expensive, so I disregard any savings normally, but as a one off, I saved £2.57.

Total saving a £13.65.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Nice savings Chanie.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • chanie
    I had quite a nice day, even if I did have to spend some money. I took the children to Ikea, so they could play in the creche (free) and I had a cuppa (free). Whilst in Ikea, I bought two photo frames (planned) £2 and lunch for the children (£6). Ideally, it should have been a NSD, but the children love the IKEA meatballs!!!
  • Sounds like a nice low cost day out. xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    Lots of spending, but managed to make some savings:

Mums birthday present-by spending an extra £5,I got a freebie. The difference is £3.

Cinema ticket for a birthday, saving £4.05.

Toy for a birthday, saving £5.

Groceries on offer, saving £1.50.

TOTAL £13.55
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Well done. It's amazing once you stop and think of it it how many money saving tips there are. Always good to share. There's a good one on OS called something like How to save pennies, lots of thrift tips there.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • chanie
    Bobarella wrote: »
    There's a good one on OS called something like How to save pennies, lots of thrift tips there.

Thanks, I did visit that thread, but haven't been on for ages. My 'sneaky' trick was when OH refused to try own brand cereal and I bought some and put it in the branded box and Mr C didn't realise. When I told him the truth, he admitted he was impressed by my deviousnesss!!!

He's unimpressed with my latest effort though. Our kitchen sink was blocked and although I managed to plunge it clear, I bought some stuff to pour down the plug hole, whilst I was in Aldi. I've just seen the same stuff on offer in Costco, which is 20p more expensive, but two bottles instead of 1. Mr C was slightly bemused I'm going to all that effort of getting a refund and then driving to Costco. I didn't tell him that I had to fish the receipt out from the bin.
  • chanie
    edited 11 January 2017 at 9:35PM
    For the past few days, I've been thinking the children are becoming easier to manage, now that they are both in school and becoming more independent. Until, I noticed......

DD has written her name on a wall in lip balm and it won't come off. Luckily, it's not one of the newly decorated rooms, but still.

DS put a big food stain on the new net curtains. I can't bare the thought of having to take them down so soon, but managed to spot clean them.

DD drew on the underside of the new curtains in pen. Luckily, that can't be seen.

both children blocked the bathroom sink with loo roll. I only realised at 11pm, when I was getting ready for bed. Luckily, we managed to clear it.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    chanie wrote: »
    Thanks, I did visit that thread, but haven't been on for ages. My 'sneaky' trick was when OH refused to try own brand cereal and I bought some and put it in the branded box and Mr C didn't realise. When I told him the truth, he admitted he was impressed by my deviousnesss!!!

He's unimpressed with my latest effort though. Our kitchen sink was blocked and although I managed to plunge it clear, I bought some stuff to pour down the plug hole, whilst I was in Aldi. I've just seen the same stuff on offer in Costco, which is 20p more expensive, but two bottles instead of 1. Mr C was slightly bemused I'm going to all that effort of getting a refund and then driving to Costco. I didn't tell him that I had to fish the receipt out from the bin.

What did it cost you to return item to aldi,then drive to Costco?

Items can be seen to be cheaper if in a 'sale' but of course it's only a saving if it's something that's really needed. Maybe a better way would be to see how much you spend ,as opposed to what you 'save' ?
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport