Pay off my mortgage in 5 years

Hi all,

Thought I'd start a diary to try and give myself some extra motivation.

I'm 25 and bought my first property in 2014. After a year or so of settling in, doing up the place and working out a budget, I then started overpaying my mortgage in August 2015.

My mortgage debt started at £72995 and currently stands at £56934. So I've got £11386.80 to pay off each year to be mortgage free in 5 years!

My standard payments are £376 per month and I'm aiming to overpay around £1000 per month. I'm earning considerably more than I was when I first moved in and hopefully my salary will go up pretty regularly. I work in TV so it's all contract based, and tends to go up with each new contract.

I'm really overhauled my budget in the last year or so, and have been using YNAB to track my spending and forecast for the future. I have changed suppliers to the cheapest options available, gone SIM only with my mobile and starting using lots of coupons and cashback for food shopping.

I think the struggle is going to be keeping the motivation up for such a long time, although I am still extremely motivated at the moment. I thought this diary might be a good way of keeping myself focused on the goal :D
Mortgage received 21/12/2018
Mortgage at start - £261,980
Current mortgage - £260,276
Saving towards a loft conversion first, then to smash the mortgage down!

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello!
    Sounds like you have been doing fab so far so really well done!
    I will keep popping by to cheer you on :-)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Hi and welcome :wave:

Sounds like you have it all worked out, just one thing to mention, make sure you are allowed to o/p by this huge amount, as most allow 10% of the total mortgage at the beginning of the year as a rule, however there are some that allow more than the 10% total rule. :)

Unless you are in a short fixed rate, then you can always wait till the end of that, then o/p as much as you like.
    What's your term/interest rate?
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Hi there
    To clear that much in such a short time is great.
    I agree make sure there are no penalties.
    Anything that would take you over your allowance, you could put in savings until you are allowed to pay them without charge.
    One way I keep motivated is to work out what the balance will be at the end of each year so you know what you are working towards. :)
    Good luck
    Flower
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    % years is not long at all :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Good luck on your journey. Do you have any long term plans for moving after becoming MF ?
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning,just spotted your diary. We are also on a MF journey, although slightly longer than yours I hope we can be MF in 10 years.

I am also interested in what you plan for once you are MF?

I know some people it is to do with their wanting to leave work, others want to have the flexibility in their finances to pay for traveling, so what's your motivation? Focusing on this may help you to strive for that end goal when the going gets tough.

Definitely check out any penalties, we found we could OP by 10% of the outstanding balance each year. We decided if ever we had more money, than they would allow us to pay penalty free, then we would put it into a high interest savings account/bond/ISA whatever was paying the best rate at the time and then wait until we could pay it. Also it's worth checking whether you pay interest daily or yearly. If it's daily then make your OP's as soon as you have the money available, eg every payday but if you pay your interest annually make sure you save your OP's in a high interest account until just before the interest calculation date and then pay it in a lump sum. This way you can earn interest on it and still make the best savings on the annual interest charge on the mortgage.
  • buzzyzoe
    buzzyzoe Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all,

Thanks so much for your nice replies! I wasn't expecting so many :)

To answer a few questions:
    - It's a flexible offset mortgage with Santander, so I have a 'Savings Pot' that I pay money into that is essentially the same as overpaying, and reduces the interest I pay. There are no limits on frequency/amounts of deposits into this pot.
    - My term started at 25 years so is now at just over 23 years. When I took out my mortgage, I just went with the standard term but if I was to remortgage or take out another mortgage, I would definitely decrease the term. My interest rate is 3.79% which is pretty rubbish but it's mainly down to the fact that I work in television and so am in contract based employment, changing jobs every 3-6 months.
    - My plan for becoming mortgage free is then to save up to buy a rental property. I love the idea of having this as a second income. As I am unlikely to build up much of a pension due to the field I work in, I would like to have a rental property portfolio to act as my pension.

Made some good savings this weekend with a coupon shop, and stayed in with my boyfriend and cooked us a nice Valentine's meal last night instead of going out (using some of my couponed ingredients!) Today's lunch was a free soup with a coupon. I am technically working 2 jobs at the moment, my main full time job which I've recently started, and finishing off some paperwork from my old job (which I'm doing evenings and weekends). I did a big chunk on Saturday so although I've lost a weekend day, I'm thinking of the extra money due in soon and the lump sum I'll be able to pay off with it!
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Congratulations!

Where in the country are you located? Might be obvious, but have you checked that you can pay that amount of money a year without being charged for overpaying?

For example, I can only pay off 10% of the value a year, without getting stung on charges.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!
  • Hi buzzyzoe

Congratulations! You've made some impressive progress.

I am on a similar track to you. I aim to be mortgage free before I'm 30.

You should add an "interest saved" field into your signature like mine. I helps motivate me on my off days.

Best of luck

Gen_Y
    MFW! Original loan (Aug 2015) = £65000
    Current debt = £43000
    Interest saved so far = £13930
  • buzzyzoe
    buzzyzoe Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 February 2016 at 6:43PM
    TeamPlum I am London based.

Definitely fine to make unlimited overpayments. In case anyone's interested, here is the wording regarding that as I just doubted myself and had to look it up again! :D

You may make lump sum or regular overpayments up to the amount of the outstanding mortgage balance. Overpayments must be allocated to your savings account or your mortgage account. If you make an overpayment into your mortgage account or transfer money there from your savings account, the amount you owe and the interest you pay will be recalculated immediately.

Gen_Y_Saver, thanks for the tip! How do you work out the interest saved?

So today I had another free soup for lunch and also received a refund for something I returned, plus a cheque from my old mobile supplier (which I've recently changed to go sim only) which was a nice surprise as I wasn't aware I was owed anything! I was happy enough with the reduction of my mobile bill from c. £40pm to £15! Not sure how long my current phone will last as I use it pretty constantly for work but going to keep it going as long as I can before I go for another contract
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure