The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ah - nuts! We go on holiday on Wednesday and I had only put through one hold bag. Fixed now, but cost another £70 that we don't have budgeted :mad:

Trying to dash through all my housework and planning today as I'm attending a conference tomorrow.

No news on the money front, get paid tomorrow so the bank balance will look a bit less Spartan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,193 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Oooh happy holidays :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    [STRIKE]A conference on Bank Holiday Monday? Yikes ...[/STRIKE]
    Excuse my ignorance of dates :rotfl:

in any case, have a brill holiday :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hey Ed.

I feel a bit nervous to write this as the consensus seems to be that most people allow their children to sleep in their beds with them. To each their own, but it was never something that I was happy with.

We always had a really strict routine with the boys from the beginning really. Such as; all night feeds were done in the dark with just a night light, no talking, no coo'ing, no smiles etc - we literally just did the feed, nappy change, little cuddle and then straight back down to sleep. We never did the lights on, chit chat, watch telly etc. We saw friends do this, saw that the babies didn't tend to sleep and were determined that we wanted babies that slept. It worked a treat, even better the second time around as we were less anxious and didn't second guess our "strategy" as much. It's not for everyone, but those who I know that have done the same thing have had the same results. The babies actually seemed to be really contented as they were getting lots of sleep :)

Once they were able to walk/wander around etc they obviously did do the whole thing where they'd have a cry in the night, say they prefer our bed or that they can't sleep etc.... we'd always give a cuddle to reassure but they'd be promptly taken back to their rooms settled, repeat... They soon understood the deal and it faded out fast.

Don't get be wrong - I love a cuddle with the little ones in my bed, but it's in the morning on a weekend after a certain time :)

As for retraining, I think the most important thing is that yourself and Mrs Ed are in 100% agreement on how you'll tackle - if one of you is weak, the little one will sense it, lol! Think through and agree your strategy and then stick with it religiously. It'll take a little while but it'll be worth it in the long run.

We've some friends who never really had a routine and stood firm - they children are now 14 and 9 - they still sleep with their parents very often and the parents struggle to get them to bed... in fact, it's quite the norm for the parents to go to bed and the children sort themselves out - either sleeping in the lounge, the parents room (bed or the parents floor - they're not fussy) and occasionally their own rooms!!!

I've only shared since you asked, so I hope this is OK. It wasn't the easiest thing in the world sticking to a routine and sometimes I felt like a bit**, but honestly, for the our sakes and the children's it was totally worth it. (They're 14 & 8 now)

Best of luck, L x
  • Karmacat
    Lulabelle, if I was to translate that into a version of psychotherapist-speak, I'd call that consistent, loving boundaries :):):) I'll keep it short, otherwise it would be a book, because you're also right when you say to each their own :)
  • VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    I also did some gardening over the weekend and last night too - lots of mowing and re-seeding the lawn, cutting back ivy and vines and weeding the flowerbed. If was Day of the Triffids in some places - I don't know how they grow so much!!

Luckily it is brown bin collection on Friday, so can empty it out and refill with more! Find it all quite therapeutic.
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Excuse my rudeness in not coming back to the very thoughtful posts on my diary, I'll remedy this after I come back from holiday #2! :D

We had a lovely time as a family on our sunshine week away and DD was an angel on the 4 hour flight :j We celebrated her 3rd birthday yesterday and she seems so grown up, inquisitive and full of life :A

Now off to celebrate a special family wedding anniversary with a long weekend in a stately home (ooh la la)!

We have been relatively well behaved with spending. I brought back just under 25% of our holiday spending money, sold our old car seat on eB@y for £145, made a £503.30 payment to a CC and paid £100 of birthday gifts for DD into her ISA.

Take care all, will catch up with diaries next week :coffee:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,193 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy birthday to your lovely DD :grin:
    3 already :j :j :j

Have a lovely weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Your daughter and my son share a birthday (although she is a year older)
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Karmacat
    beanielou wrote: »
    Happy birthday to your lovely DD :grin:
    3 already :j :j :j

Have a lovely weekend :)
    From me too, Ed. Stately home sounds wonderful!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure