Incident - Named driver with own insurance

I am a named driver on my wife's insurance, but I have my own policy too.
I was involved in a minor incident with another car, while driving her car. I'd say it was 90% my fault.
Luckily outcome, very little damage on both cars, just a scratch/little dent on the bumper.
I gave the other driver the insurance details, but realised it was my wife's details, so I gave them mine too as I assumed they would claim against my policy, as my insurance grants me the right to drive other cars, but I got the letter today from the insurer and it is linked to my wife's policy. (We have the same insurer)
Is it how this is supposed to be, or do I have 'wiggle room' and decide which policy to put the claim against?
If so, I am wondering which would be better. I have 9 years NCB, her insurance is brand new. I may be better of it is claimed against hers, as she has no NCB to lose and she will not have been in an accident when asked at renewal, while I will have no claim against my insurance so my NCB will not be affected, but my premium will increase as I will have to declare that I have been in an accident that was my fault. Which sounds reasonable, and seem to be the default in this case.
Or can 'they' (whoever 'they' are) decide to claim on my insurance instead? (Or both???)
I am pretty sure they would like to increase the premium for both if they can!
I didn't want to ask the company, as I didn't want to give them ideas, not that they aren't resourceful enough on their own. :)
Is my analysis correct above?
Did anyone have similar experience?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your insurance will probably exclude you from driving other cars that you have other insurance for, such as being a named driver on your wife's policy. So this would be on your wife's insurance.

However you need to also inform your insurance ahead of your next renewal
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You cannot use doc cover when you are driving a vehicle that you are covered by the vehicles policy.

Your wife will have to report this to her insurer now, and will have to disclose it at renewal.

You also will have to disclose this at renewal.

So expect both your insurances to be loaded as a result of this
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As above, driving other cars cover (in 99% of cases) only applies if there is no other policy in force that would cover you to drive the car in question.

So if you were a named driver on your wife's car, that trumps your DOC cover and so the claim goes through her policy.

DOC is intended primarily to cover occasional unforeseen use of other cars in an emergency (though that's not a specific condition of the cover) - it's not intended to be an alternative to claiming on your wife's policy when you have a prang in her car.
  • szmate
    szmate Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear I don't have to think, just fill the papers and send them off.
    I might post an update for others who may stumble upon this thread.
    Thanks guys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport