Advice please

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.
I work 20 hours a week as an estate agent (same hours/same office for the last 12 years)
I recently found out that a couple of other part timers have company cars, so I asked for one. Turns out I don't work enough hours to qualify for one (need to work 26 hours)
I was given the option to increase my hours which I agreed to, but once it reached the management for approval I was told that as our office ran at a slight loss last year, they can't authorise the extra cost for me increasing my hours....
My question, if anyone knows the answer is: 'If' I resign and they replace me with a full timer (which would be their only option as the new rule is they don't take on part timers) would I have any comeback? Can they refuse to increase my hours and then replace me with someone doing more hours?
Thanks for reading. I know it's a bit of a strange one, but any ideas welcome :)

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    No.

need to type 10 chars
  • Didn't think so but was worth asking :(
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    supernoos wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.
    I work 20 hours a week as an estate agent (same hours/same office for the last 12 years)
    I recently found out that a couple of other part timers have company cars, so I asked for one. Turns out I don't work enough hours to qualify for one (need to work 26 hours)
    I was given the option to increase my hours which I agreed to, but once it reached the management for approval I was told that as our office ran at a slight loss last year, they can't authorise the extra cost for me increasing my hours....
    My question, if anyone knows the answer is: 'If' I resign and they replace me with a full timer (which would be their only option as the new rule is they don't take on part timers) would I have any comeback?No Can they refuse to increase my hours and then replace me with someone doing more hours? Yes
    Thanks for reading. I know it's a bit of a strange one, but any ideas welcome :)

Need 10 characters to post.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Preumably they wouldn't be able to replace you at all, if they can't afford to pay you for a few more hours how could they pay someone to work full time (unless of course your basic wage is a lot higher than somebody starting new would get)?
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If your office is running at a loss they may not replace you. In fact I would suspect you may have a redundancy situation in the next 12 months if you do not start making a profit.
  • Not much chance of our office closing anytime soon. We're usually the most profitable office and there are offices in our region that have been running at a loss for years longer. It's a big national company.
    If I left they'd have no choice but to replace otherwise they'd only have 2 members of staff running the office and they need 3 minimum.
  • marliepanda
    Not much chance of our office closing anytime soon. We're usually the most profitable office and there are offices in our region that have been running at a loss for years longer. It's a big national company.
    If I left they'd have no choice but to replace otherwise they'd only have 2 members of staff running the office and they need 3 minimum.

Well things are clearly changing if they no longer take on part timers when all three of your office workers are part timers.

If they need three minimum, but now only take on full timers, I am sure your three part timers could be replaced by two full timers.
  • Sorry I wasn't clear. There's 2 full time people in my office and me. The offices in our region all have 3 full time members. But I was part time when I started 12 years ago. If I left their only option would be to replace me with a full timer as they introduced this rule a few years back that they don't employ part time staff.
  • Anyway, you answered my question that I wouldn't have any comeback if they replaced me and that's what I wanted to know so thanks :)
  • marliepanda
    Sorry I wasn't clear. There's 2 full time people in my office and me. The offices in our region all have 3 full time members. But I was part time when I started 12 years ago. If I left their only option would be to replace me with a full timer as they introduced this rule a few years back that they don't employ part time staff.

Well if they can’t afford an extra 6 hours for you then it’s unlikely they will find the money for a full timer.

It’s amazing how the rules will be changed when it doesn’t suit the company, but it won’t change anything with regards to your situation. They could replace you with a full timer, a part timer, they could replace you with someone working ten hours and give them a company car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure