Dancing in the Rain

Comments

• DIA, your signature!! :eek::j:T:T:T

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • No real evening routine here, though I have just starting rewriting FlyLady weekly one and hope to get onto all that shortly.

I suppose it gets as far as a mini routine when I get in : feed cats, check post, put work bag in office, check planner, check emails. And another mini routine before bed. Mornings are pretty much sorted and only vary on whether I manage porridge or run out of the door with breakfast bits in my bag.

I'm surprised how much difference it makes having the office - all the stuff that used to get in the way elsewhere is now in here and I keep it tidier.

Rosa xx
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2018 at 8:35AM
    I'm the same as Rosa, I have a mini routine, as soon as I get in from work I:

Walk the dogs
    Feed the dogs
    Feed the cats
    Have a coffee and read the paper
    Wash up from the night before
    Washing - so either hang up clothes if washer has been on in the day or put a load on and then hang up when done
    Sort clean washing from airers
    Have something quick to eat (toast/egg on toast)
    Speak to DH and DD about their days (they get in 1.5hrs after me)
    Check emails/post
    Make sure I have met daily goal on Swagbucks
    Bath
    Bed

Weekends are roughly the same apart from the washing is done throughout the day and in the evening I cook a proper meal for us all and we might watch TV together.

I do have similar issues as redo and her cats - some nights I manage to get them all in and other nights just 1 or 2 but if the 2 youngest kittens are separated then they cry so I spend ages calling the other one to come in and just as he comes in his brother runs out and then he runs out to see his brother and I'm still at the back door in my thin PJ's freezing to death while the kittens mess about.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Here's some input from me - sorry it's in bullet-type form, it's just easier for me to download my thoughts!

Dishes
    I did wonder how you manage to be stuck with quite so many dishes! Maybe you could take a look on Gumtree or Facebook selling pages for a second hand dishwasher in the interim period? I see lots on my local pages for £50ish and I'm often tempted myself.

Routine
    Ok, after thinking about my 'non-routine', I think i maybe misled you by saying that I had none. Maybe I just don't class what I do as a routine. Here's normally what happens on a week night.

- Husband gets in from work and one of us starts dinner
    - The other does the dishes while we're catching up on our day
    - The kids are picked up by one of us
    - The kids' bags are emptied and replenished with whatever is needed (change of clothes, signed form for school etc
    - Husband sets out his breakfast/ fruit and thermos for the following morning in front of the kettle
    - We all sit down to dinner (sometimes husband and I squeeze in a The Body Coach workout for 20 minutes before dinner if it's longer in the oven)
    - Then one takes the kids upstairs to the shower and the other does the dinner dishes and cleans down
    - Both go up and get the kids into bed and read a story
    - Shower time for us both (not together i might add...haha) - whatever one is showering, the other hangs washing up or puts clothes away and then we swap
    - Any last things that we need to do that are urgent get done then we sit down for an hour before bed.

This probably doesn't help you much because a lot of it is centred around the kids but might help to see what we do during 6-9pm.

Re: washings, because I'm working from home at the moment, i'm able to put them on during the day as it only takes 5 minutes but when I'm working from the office, i put the washing on before I leave the house and set it to be finished at 6pm when I get in to save it sitting stagnant and wet in the machine all day.

We also try to make something on Sunday night to do us for lunch during the week like soup or a pasta/ rice dish. This means we're not spending lots of time at night or the morning prepping lunches. One night during the week we usually need to make something as the soup has run out or whatever, but we just make enough to do the rest of the week.

Hope that's a tiny bit useful!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Sorry you didn't get the job but well done for getting to the final four, that in itself is an achievement.

There will be a job out there for you and you will get it xx
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Sorry to hear the news about the job, it's always worse when you put so much effort into something and can really see yourself in it. Well done for getting as far as you did though, and I hope you get some decent feedback.

My husband has to put his stuff in front of the kettle or else he won't remember it as making coffee is the last thing he does before he leaves in the morning :)

Your kitchen isn't too far off, is it DIA? I'm sure I remember you posting recently about getting it done in the near future.

Ours is still a while off yet, although it is functioning (just old and really poorly laid out/ falling to bits) so I can't complain too much. Full of grand plans and frustrated at the lack of money available immediately to make those plans a reality! haha
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,184 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Sorry to hear about the job.
    Great news though on going down to four days.
    YOu are so lucky to work for such a flexible employer :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sorry to hear about the job, and I agree with Beanie.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Really sorry to hear about the job DIA - but you were brave to apply, they clearly really liked you, you're doing the learning from it and you have discovered more about what you want in the process, so hopefully it will turn out to be a step to something even better. Also, you are allowed to both cry AND do the grown up stuff - they're not mutually exclusive, just one is usually best not done in the office. May I suggest that you think about giving yourself a bit of time to sob/ thump pillows/ snivel onto the cats' fur/ break crockery, a bit of time to see helpful friends so they can also salve your wounds, and also a celebration and reward for your courage?

I was just getting my knickers in an knot about my own interview prep earlier today when this popped up on my screen via a yoga group...
    "We only grieve where we love. So grief is an aspect of love. Let is be as it is and be humbled by it. Allow grief to be a great teacher." - Gangaji

I found it very timely as it reminded me that I wouldn't be worried or upset about the interview if I didn't care deeply about the field, the potential job and the aspects of my life it would change. I'd been rather pushing that aside in the practicalities, but actually it needs to shine through, even to remind me why I'm doing it.

Big hugs, moggie purrs and posh chocolate for you

Rosa xx
  • I was just getting my knickers in an knot about my own interview prep earlier today when this popped up on my screen via a yoga group...
    "We only grieve where we love. So grief is an aspect of love. Let is be as it is and be humbled by it. Allow grief to be a great teacher." - Gangaji

I found it very timely as it reminded me that I wouldn't be worried or upset about the interview if I didn't care deeply about the field, the potential job and the aspects of my life it would change. I'd been rather pushing that aside in the practicalities, but actually it needs to shine through, even to remind me why I'm doing it.

Big hugs, moggie purrs and posh chocolate for you
    Rosa xx
    Wishing you luck for your interview and thank you for your insightful post :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills