Pure hell getting refund after argos lose items

Noverber 12 last year I placed an order for 3 hard drives and a hard drive cooler from two sellers. Before the order arrived I placed an addional order for 3 more hard drives. I'd always intended to order 6 drives but split the order to spread the billing. I used click & collect as it's easy and local.
I received 2 email's to collect the first order(s). When I went to collect I was told they could not find both items for the first order. I also recevied an email to collect the secodn order of hard drives which was present and correct. I was now missing 3 hard drives and a hard drive coller. I continued to receive collection reminders and was always told the same thing.... they could not find them. I was told to contact Paypa, which I did and was advised to contact ebay as the click & collect service was run by them. This made sense so I did contact them. I was initially told that they would check things out but I would get a refund. I was advised to give them 72hrs to get back to me. I continued to get collection reminders with the same result of cannot find items. I was then advised that because I had spoken to Paypal I could not have two claims in process. I was advised to close the Paypal claim and they could proceed to process my refund. Up to this point I was quite confident that it would all get sorted out. I contunued trying to deal with ebay but was beginning to find their 'systems' were very difficult to use and each and every time I tried to make contact I was having to go over the whole process each time. I was however assured there was no problem. I placed an order for another 3 hard drives to cover the 3 that had gone missing as I was not able to finish the job I had started without them. After all I was assured it was being dealt with and not to worry. I was now insisting I dealt with a supervisor or manager and was passed omto a very pleasant lady who at last had a grasp of what was going on. She contacted the argos branch and was told that a mistake had been made in entering the item onto their system that 'she' had corrected and the order was now ready for collection. I was given a collection number FOR THE LAST ORDER which was for 3 hard drives and a graphics card. The collection number was a NEW number for the NEW order which is exactly as expected. So far the second and third orders had been completed with the first order outstanding. The last order had been completed with no problems. However still missing the original 3 hard drives and cooler cage. I had unique collection numbers for the items and getting very concerned. Paypal advised that as I had not escalated my original claim it would expire automatically 24th December. It was closed and advised. It then transpired that I had been given a credit for the hard drive cooler but NOT for the 3 hard drives. It also became clear that argos had altered the missing items from waiting for collection to COLLECTED!
I frantically got in touch with ebay and explained that I had raised my concerns about Paypal closing the claim to allow ebay to deal with it. Ebay now told me YOU ARE OUT OF THE 30 DAY LIMIT to make a claim and they could not raise a new claim as it was out of time. I explained that as far as I was concerned I did have an ongoing claim and had be assured all along it was being dealt with. I was told the matter would go to their click & collect department to investigate and I should allow 72 hrs for them to contact me. They did get in touch only to delay things a further 72hrs. The claim is not referred to as Item has been collected in any emails I receive which is just not true. I have not heard back from ebay since 26th January. I have tried to get them to call me back but they never do. I have trusted them all along and am now about £170 out of pocket. I cannot get through directly to the same person that I have been dealing with and the whole things has become a nightmare. It's now affecting my health, which is already not good, with no end in sight.
To sum up the items were deliverd to argis by the carrier who have a signature fro delivery. Argos did receive the items ore they would not have been sending out emails to collect. Ebay is I fear guving me the cold shoulder by ignoring my requests for them to contact me.

You have to remember that I have very little paperwork for the whole mess as you only get the information they provide directly. You cannot get contact details etc to deal directly as the 'system' is very effective at keeping you away from actual humans.

Having trusted them all along I feel I am going to lose approx £170 through no fault of my own excepting my stupidity in trusting them to deal with it efficiently.

What can I do? Can somebody help PLEASE!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sorry but I struggle with large walls of text like that especially as I think I got muddled part way through with what you have and what was lost.

Could you possibly simplify it with bullet points and a time line , thank you.

I'm also a bit confused as to who told you to close the PayPal claim, and what exactly happened when you tried to,open an INR on eBay.

Although If this all happened last November you are out of time for any eBay claim, and would be relying on PayPal now- which is not going to be possible if you closed a previous claim.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    No claims on Paypal for Item Not Receive

Purchases of most goods and services are eligible (including travel tickets, intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licences), except for the following transactions:

15.purchases of items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf (including at a retail point of sale) and which you claim to be Not Received;
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 1:20AM
    'Pure hell' - perhaps tone down the drama? A pain, yes - but getting yourself wound up won't help. As Soolin has suggested, write a short, crisp account of the facts and steer clear of the over-reactions, which add nothing to our understanding of what has happened. I got lost by the third line...
  • Sounds like your situation became too complex for agents to deal with, they're trying to confirm your exact situation through a standard set of menu options designed to work for everyone. A bit like "would you like fries with that?" Maybe someone could advise how to put this in writing to them and go down the legal route.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    To save peoples eyes, they brought something on Ebay to click and collect. They then brought the same things, also on Ebay Click and Collect.

The second order arrived at Argos and was collected with no problems. Although the OP received constant notifications to collect the first order, Argos couldn't find it.

In the end Argos marked the first order as collected (most likely assuming it was some kind of duplication of the second order)

I have no idea what you are going to do. It sounds like a simple lost click and collect parcel has been made more complicated and grown into a monster by the existence of a successfully collected second order from the same seller to the same buyer and within a few days of each other.

Have you tried contacting the seller to see if it has been returned to them?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    To save peoples eyes, they brought something on Ebay to click and collect. They then brought the same things, also on Ebay Click and Collect.

The second order arrived at Argos and was collected with no problems. Although the OP received constant notifications to collect the first order, Argos couldn't find it.

In the end Argos marked the first order as collected (most likely assuming it was some kind of duplication of the second order)

I have no idea what you are going to do. It sounds like a simple lost click and collect parcel has been made more complicated and grown into a monster by the existence of a successfully collected second order from the same seller to the same buyer and within a few days of each other.

Have you tried contacting the seller to see if it has been returned to them?

My reading suggests at least 3 orders not two. The first bit says 'I placed an order for 3 hard drives and a hard drive cooler from two sellers. Before the order arrived I placed an addional order for 3 more hard drives. I'd always intended to order 6 drives but split the order to spread the billing'.

However, I suspect the OP will never bother coming back to let us help, so I would suggest that unless the OP updates , members don't spend too much time trying to unravel it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • n4ken
    n4ken Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 8 February 2018 at 10:33PM
    Thanks to those who offered suggestions. I did try to simplify it but it has gotten too complicated to reduce to a couple of lines.
    The fiest order is outstanding as delivered to argos and lost while in their care. The seller is covered as he has a signature fromYodle who delivered it to argos. Argos acknowledge the receipt of the item(s) by sending out a collection number. They sent out a further four collection emails. I have been in regular contact with ebay and they have effectively confirmed that there is an on going claim in process. However they seem to have gotten stuck in a 'give us 72hrs to investigate' loop.
    I have always had good experiences with Paypal and ebay and indeed Click & collect which is why I continue to shop with them. The lost item is a very specific order with it's own order number and collection number so there should be no confusion.
    Apart from waiting and getting more and more frustrated, sorry for the 'drama' but £170 is a lot of money to most people and to be given the run around is difficult to deal with.
    As for the claim time running out that makes no sense as I have emails confirming that I was pursuing a claim. I trust that this has cleared things up somewhat.

Thanks again for your time.
  • Brynsam
    Try simplifying as follows:

On 12.11.17 I ordered [item number] for delivery to Argos [name of town]. I received an e-mail on [date] with collection number [.....]. When I tried to collect, Argos could not find the item. I reported this to ebay on [date] and have chased up repeatedly, but have still not received either the missing items or a refund.
  • steveE2 wrote: »
    No claims on Paypal for Item Not Receive

Purchases of most goods and services are eligible (including travel tickets, intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licences), except for the following transactions:

15.purchases of items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf (including at a retail point of sale) and which you claim to be Not Received;

I can't see why any of the exceptions would prevent an item not received claim.
    The items were not arranged to be collected in person (they were sent by the seller to an Argos store) and even though they were to be collected from there, the Argos place wasn't the retail point of sale for those goods.
  • Brynsam
    I can't see why any of the exceptions would prevent an item not received claim.
    The items were not arranged to be collected in person (they were sent by the seller to an Argos store) and even though they were to be collected from there, the Argos place wasn't the retail point of sale for those goods.
    ...except the buyer doesn't seem to have actually opened an INR case, which would have been the 'obvious' thing to do (hindsight being a wonderful thing).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure