PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Book 51:

KITENG0706.jpg

5/10. I expected this to be a well-intended book, that did what it said in the tin. What I found was something quite different. I expected it to be dated - written mid-90s, around the time I graduated - but may as well have been published 20 years earlier. Firstly, I quickly realised that this is a book with an agenda: it’s a case of pretend to seek to understand, in order to undermine, prosletyse and ultimately convert. It taught me a great deal about the arrogance that some Christians have, and suddenly became very clear just how the creation of the Empire was justified in the minds of the oppressors. So although I didn’t like the content, I did learn from this book.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • blackcatsx2
    Options
    I liked Brooklyn too but preferred Nora Webster also by Colm Toibin. I read it just after I was widowed and so the story resonated so much with me. It describes sensitively how Nora moves through her early grief to coping and then to starting to thrive again. By the way it’s not morbid and you don’t need to be bereaved to enjoy it!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 52:

shanghai-baby.jpg

6.5/10. Intrigued by the cover, I read this to see what all the fuss was about. I found the story to be a bit seedy and not really my thing, bit even translated into English I could appreciate that this is a very skilled writer. She thinks in dimensions that many don’t - it’s just very tacky subject matter that’s not actually worthy of any thought. People that aren’t put off by this genre would like it though.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Do you have an ISBN number for this book please? . Old Wives Tales. If yiu Googlw it there seem to be about 25 different books with this same title. Thanks .
    I’ve dug it out now: 5 052775 433106. Its printed in Singapore for Lakeland, Cumbria (https://www.lakeland.co.uk).

Please don’t ask me again as I’ve packed it away again now :D

• VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 53:

51BHtZEixKL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

7/10. The protagonist is not a skilled author, yet manages to effectively convey what a dreadful childhood he had. It particularly resonated as we’re the same age and yet my childhood was so different, and this is all down to the life chances your parents offer you This book made me so angry and sad, for obvious reasons. He admits he is a work in progress but also shows incredible resilience.

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I’ve dug it out now: 5 052775 433106. Its printed in Singapore for Lakeland, Cumbria (https://www.lakeland.co.uk).

Please don’t ask me again as I’ve packed it away again now :D

Many thanks.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 December 2017 at 9:46AM
    Options
    I loved 12 Years a Slave the book and the film. For once a film adaptation of an excellent book was true to the book :D

Oh, I enjoyed the book far more, since it was realistic. In the film all is fine once the northern guys turn up to vouch for him. However, the reality was a difficult court case first.

There was a later court case when our main character sued his captors.

Just finished The Mountain Between Us, by Charles Martin. Excellent
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I read a book called Break the Twitch the other day. Anthony Ongaro.

I'm borrowing some books from a sibling this week so I will have lots of new books to read.:)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Book 54:

41AV2VOnkKL.jpg

7/10 - simply written, and touching. It explores Floella’s journey to and early experiences of England and racism, and how she found her mojo.

Book 55:

5161gevfsPL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6/10. This was a fun anthology of lists, nothing serious but I did discover a new (to me) word that applies to me: Tsundoku. It is the Japanese term for acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them :D . If only there were more hours on the day!

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just finished reading Sonia Purnell’s biography “First Lady, The Life and Wars of Clementine Churchill.

A fascinating insight into just how difficult a life she led trying to cater to the almost uncontrollable moods and whims of a supposedly “great man” who was, for much of the time, impossible to live with, and concerned only with his own needs rather than the emotional needs of his wife and family.

This is one biographer’s point of view but Clementine Churchill comes across as a far more insightful and politically sensitive lady than many of her generation gave her credit for, and in many ways a more balanced personality than her husband. An enjoyable read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure