PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this a complicated situation or am I being dense?

Hi Guys,

Background about the situation

I am a first time buyer and am very grateful for your advice!

I am buying a leasehold flat (it has more than 100 years left on the lease) and it comes with an exclusive use of a car parking space.

Amongst all paperwork the seller has sent, I have been going through 2 main documents:
  1. The lease
  2. The Title plan and deeds

Background about the flat:
  1. It was built 14 years ago.
  2. It is on the first floor.
  3. The original owners (Called Owner A) bought it from a building agency.
  4. A few years later they sold it to my currency seller (Called Owner B).
  5. The landlord is the building agency. There is also a management agency.

The issue

When I look at the lease document, the flat is called “Unit 41 Xyz Court" with exclusive use of car park 10.

When I look at the Land registry Title plan and Deeds, the flat is called “Flat 20 Some Road” with exclusive use of car par 20.
  1. The lease document and the title plan both have a drawing pointing to the same flat.
  2. They both state the flat is on the first floor.
  3. They both point at the same car park.
  4. All paperwork except the lease (including google search of the flat) match what the title registry document says (“Flat 20 Some Road”).

What shall I do? Is this an issue? Is there a legal document that the seller must provide or does the lease need to be updated?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No, it's all perfectly normal. Newbuilds are rarely identified by their ultimate postal address until they're complete, so the original documents will refer to whatever plot number the builders had allocated.

I hope you've actually got a professional advising you?
  • Hi David,

Firstly thank you so much for such a prompt response.

1. But as there is no reference to the correct flat number on the lease, won't that cause an issue at some point?

2. Do I need to request a legal document that maps the plot number to the postal address ? And if so, what is this document called?

3. Yes I have raised it with a solicitor but they are taking time to respond.

Thanks again!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As David says.

The postal address won't have been allocatd until after the lease was created.

So long as the Plans are accurate and it's clear which parking spot is allocated, you're fine.

But well done for spotting this and asking! Many FTBs barely glance at the paperwork, let alone query it. Keep reading, you're doing well.

and if in doubt, keep asking - either your conveyancer (I assume you are not DIYing) or here.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Raise it with your solicitor and get them to double check it's all OK. That way you've flagged it up to them and they will specifically double-check.

They often just ask you to sign to say "this is what I think I'm buying" and so won't be looking at some finer details/comparisons as you've just done. They do rely on you spotting oddities and raising specific questions.
  • G_M wrote: »
    As David says.

The postal address won't have been allocatd until after the lease was created.

So long as the Plans are accurate and it's clear which parking spot is allocated, you're fine.

But well done for spotting this and asking! Many FTBs barely glance at the paperwork, let alone query it. Keep reading, you're doing well.

and if in doubt, keep asking - either your conveyancer (I assume you are not DIYing) or here.
    Hi G_M,

Thank you for your encouragement!

Yes I have just raised it with the solicitor. I am just over paranoid about every little detail as it has taken me a lot of years and effort to save the deposit. Its probably first time buyer syndrome?

Raise it with your solicitor and get them to double check it's all OK. That way you've flagged it up to them and they will specifically double-check.

They often just ask you to sign to say "this is what I think I'm buying" and so won't be looking at some finer details/comparisons as you've just done. They do rely on you spotting oddities and raising specific questions.

Hi PasturesNew, yes I have gone ahead and raised this with them, hopefully they respond soon! Probably out of the scope of this thread but are solicitors responsible if they give you incorrect advice?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    are solicitors responsible if they give you incorrect advice?
    Yes, they are. That's one of the main reasons for using them! Means you don't need to double-check everything by asking weirdos on the internet.

But did they really just send you the titles without any comment of their own? Not even "we've had a look at this and it all seems fine"? Are they planning to explain to you what the lease contains etc?
  • G_M
    Is the solicitor local to you?

If you have queries, and especally if there's any hint of a potential conflict of interest, go in and see your solicitor for face-to-face explanation.
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    Yes, they are. That's one of the main reasons for using them! Means you don't need to double-check everything by asking weirdos on the internet.

But did they really just send you the titles without any comment of their own? Not even "we've had a look at this and it all seems fine"? Are they planning to explain to you what the lease contains etc?

Hey David, they are currently working on it at the moment, This was just the research I did on the side to be absolutely sure. I guess when they come back with a report it would have more clarity?

G_M wrote: »
    Is the solicitor local to you?

If you have queries, and especally if there's any hint of a potential conflict of interest, go in and see your solicitor for face-to-face explanation.

Ok G_M good idea! I will do that! May I ask, for a flat is the absolute proof of ownership a combination of the lease document and the title deeds or just one of them?

Thanks for all your support guys!
  • G_M
    Ok G_M good idea! I will do that! May I ask, for a flat is the absolute proof of ownership a combination of the lease document and the title deeds or just one of them?
    Ownership records are maintained electronically nowadays (in most cases) by the Land Registry. The Title document records who the registered owner is.

The lease confirms the details of exactly what the terms of that ownership are.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The lease won't end up with your name on it, so it wouldn't do a very good job of proving your ownership :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure