What are the cheapest new cars?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I always used to think cars a year or two old would work out cheaper (and in fact that's what I was buying) until I realised the discounts that were available on new cars - the difference between a year old car and a new one is barely anything a lot of the time. Now I don't bother with newish second hand and just buy new as it's less hassle and I can get the exact spec I want with no compromises.

My Mondeo when I bought it at 2 years old was 30% of its new price. For most cars there are sufficient of them being sold used at 2/3 years old that you can get the spec you want.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    vikingaero wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a new Dacia, and the only negatives will be from badge snobs.

They're dreadful.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    They are both about 45% depreciation. Almost identical.

And the amount lost is much greater on the Audi, as it cost a lot more new, which goes against Scouselanders assertion that budget cars depreciate more heavily.

If you bought the Hyundai you'd be several thousand better off over the same timeframe.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2017 at 4:36PM
    motorguy wrote: »
    You're wholly upside down with your view here. You can buy an A4 at a year old for approx 50% of its retail price without much difficulty - heres an A4 1.4TFSI, new today its nigh on £30K with metallic paint, Motorpoint will sell you an ex lease one for £16,999, so £13,000 depreciation in a year.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704274867039?year-from=2016&postcode=bt622hb&radius=1500&make=AUDI&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&model=A4&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

A new Hyundai i40 1.7CDTI is just over £20,000 new, and you can buy a year old one for £10,999 so just over £9,000 depreciation in a year.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707037022074?body-type=Saloon&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&model=I40&advertising-location=at_cars&make=HYUNDAI&postcode=bt622hb&radius=1500&year-from=2016&page=1

Yet theres the perception out there that german stuff holds its money well.....

A poverty spec A4 like that only lists for £25k and realistically most people we'll be handing over more towards 20k after various contributions etc. £17k for a year old car doesn't seem like a good deal in that context and clearly the depreciation is a lot less than you're making out.
  • motorguy
    edited 16 July 2017 at 5:54PM
    A poverty spec A4 like that only lists for £25k and realistically most people we'll be handing over more towards 20k after various contributions etc. £17k for a year old car doesn't seem like a good deal in that context and clearly the depreciation is a lot less than you're making out.

Firstly, that Sport spec is mid range between SE and S-Line.

Secondly, you're hopelessly out in terms of the price of a new one - it lists at £29,100 + metallic paint at £695. You local dealer would probably be aiming to knock a couple of thousand off, however i broker will get one for around £26,700 with metallic paint (and that will include the benefit of any finance contributions.

https://broadspeed.com/new_cars/Audi/A4/Choose_Number_Of_Doors/Saloon/

You were the one who was relating depreciation purely to list price, not me by the way, however the figures still look bleak for the Audi as you can get an easy £5,000 off the Hyundai via a broker.

https://broadspeed.com/new_cars/Hyundai/i40/Choose_Number_Of_Doors/Saloon/

It might not appear to you as "that good a deal" at £17K but its the cheapest in the country and realistically if a private seller bought one brand new from a broker at £26,700 they'd be licky to be getting £15,000 on a trade in so £11,700 to drive - in your words - a "poverty spec" Audi for a year. OR maybe £7,000 to do the same running in a Hyundai.

Anyway, back to the main point, no its definitely not a foregone conclusion that you will lose less money by buying a so called premium brand car, over a budget brand one.

The big problem with Audis, Mercs, BMWs, VWs, etc is that the country is coming down with them - everyone has them, therefore residual values have gone down the toilet.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    Firstly, that Sport spec is mid range between SE and S-Line.

Secondly, you're hopelessly out in terms of the price of a new one - it lists at £29,100 + metallic paint at £695. You local dealer would probably be aiming to knock a couple of thousand off, however i broker will get one for around £26,700 with metallic paint (and that will include the benefit of any finance contributions.

Actually the current Audi brochure lists the linked car's RRP as £27,300 + £600 for the paint.

In reality it is a poverty spec car though, with the smallest engine, manual box and no options (save the paint) so there's no way anyone will be paying anywhere near that. I'd be expecting around £4 or £5k off at my local dealer and I could beat that even more if I went though the discount scheme at work.

Even the ads you posted include the following:

For the Audi "SAVE £10246 off new list price"
    For the Hyundai "SAVE £9226 off new list price"

So that puts the cars very much in the same ballpark and I know which car I'd rather be driving.
  • motorguy
    edited 16 July 2017 at 7:48PM

Actually the current Audi brochure lists the linked car's RRP as £27,300 + £600 for the paint.

For The Love of The Baby Jesus, the car linked to is the SPORT, you are looking at SE prices - £27,260 for an SE, the SPORT is £29,020. That is there in black and white on Audis website.

In reality it is a poverty spec car though, with the smallest engine, manual box and no options (save the paint) so there's no way anyone will be paying anywhere near that. I'd be expecting around £4 or £5k off at my local dealer and I could beat that even more if I went though the discount scheme at work.

I quoted a broker price. They are the cheapest of the cheap. There is not a mission on Gods Planet of your average Joe Local Audi dealer supplying you with that car at £2,500 LESS than a broker.

Not happening. End of. You are living in a Fantasy Land.

Even the ads you posted include the following:

For the Audi "SAVE £10246 off new list price"
    For the Hyundai "SAVE £9226 off new list price"

So that puts the cars very much in the same ballpark and I know which car I'd rather be driving.

Uh huh - but not for EVERY trim level of EVERY model.

You're wildly out if you think that buying a new Audi, running it three years and rinsing and repeating is in any way a financially smart thing to do. They drop like snow off a ditch and typically arent that special - they're a bit of an also ran behind Mercedes and BMW.

Yes, if you want to drive one, great thats your prerogative, but lets not pretend its in any way financially astute to do so OR to recommend to others to do so.
  • motorguy
    edited 16 July 2017 at 8:30PM

In reality it is a poverty spec car though, with the smallest engine, manual box and no options (save the paint) so there's no way anyone will be paying anywhere near that.

So give us a real world example then of an optimum spec'd A4 with your choice of engine, trim and options and how much that would cost?
  • cypher007
    cypher007 Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 10:19AM
    you could apply for a 0% on purchases for 30 months card. then pay it off over the 30 months. that's what I'm doing.

Tesco gave me a limit of £8.3k. so the rest I will pay in cash, though its looking like I will be able to pay a bit more off in cash than I originally worked out due to not getting the car until September.

my new car is costing £12k but the list was over £20k. so ive probably got rid of at least the first years depreciation at a 42% discount.

I would post a link to the deal but I get a bit of flak for asking people mention where they saw the link.
  • After many years of leasing much nicer cars I've now gone the PCP route for minimal cost to drive something realistic and not nasty. I considered the Dacia for all of about 5 seconds before walking out the showroom and settled for a Skoda CitiGo Colour Edition last November and with the 10,000 mole service due this week (£116), a real (dipped) 55mpg what's not to like? I put £150 down and pay £118 a month with £8,050 remaining on a 0% (current 7e
    Start January 2017, owing £35,070. Currently £33,900 (3/17).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure