Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• Pattie94
    Pattie94 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for bothering you further.
    I had gone through the whole topic 😳 And as I can see, personal injury payout used to be classed as an assest, has anything changed now? I am really worried that it may revoke the dro.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The latest guidance phrases it differently to my previous post but the effect is the same
    Personal injury claims not payable before the DRO is approved and relating solely to general damages are not treated as assets. They, therefore, do not need to be disclosed in the application but if the award is subsequently used to make a large purchase during the moratorium period, rather than on living expenses, the DRO may be revoked on the basis that the applicant’s assets exceed £1,000.

An award made before the DRO is approved is treated as an asset. You are asking about one received during the moratorium.
  • Pattie94
    Options
    Yes it is going to be received during or after the moratorium period, we don't know when as already its been 2 years.
  • Pattie94
    Options
    I just spoke to my bank Nationwide and apprently they will freeze my account once I have DRO even though I have no debts with them :/ but probably because it is flexplus account and I pay £10 a month. Do you think I should switch my account now before DRO? And if the dro is approved in the meantime will the switch go through?

Don't know when my dro will be in place as CAB advisor still collects all the evidence at the moment so may be few weeks. I am also waiting for my tax credit renewal which will be done on 1st August so I am not sure if I should wait with dro until then?🤔 Also I had recent purchase on argos card and have been adviced to return the goods(they haven't been even delivered at that time) but once the return and refund will be processed in will take a few days, also I think it won't show straightaway on Experian that the balance is £0, do you think I need to wait until my credit report gets uptaded too?
  • Pattie94
    Options
    I just spoke to my bank Nationwide and apprently they will freeze my account once I have DRO even though I have no debts with them :/ but probably because it is flexplus account and I pay £10 a month. Do you think I should switch my account now before DRO? And if the dro is approved in the meantime will the switch go through?

Don't know when my dro will be in place as CAB advisor still collects all the evidence at the moment so may be few weeks. I am also waiting for my tax credit renewal which will be done on 1st August so I am not sure if I should wait with dro until then?🤔 Also I had recent purchase on argos card and have been adviced to return the goods(they haven't been even delivered at that time) but once the return and refund will be processed in will take a few days, also I think it won't show straightaway on Experian that the balance is £0, do you think I need to wait until my credit report gets uptaded too?
  • Pattie94
    Options
    Always got lots of questions when the CAB is closed ��
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Pattie94 wrote: »
    I just spoke to my bank Nationwide and apprently they will freeze my account once I have DRO even though I have no debts with them

I've never met this. Did they say how they will find out?

What is your bank account? is not one of the questions on the application.

I know that Nat West routinely trawl the insolvency register to see if their clients are insolvent, and downgrade their accounts, which seems like an unnecessary and expensive waste of time for them. But AFAIK the other banks don't do this.
  • Pattie94
    Options
    Have no idea, though they get notification or something? Or could be only because I phoned them.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have no idea, though they get notification or something? Or could be only because I phoned them.

Not a problem, just open a new basic bank account.

No credit checks, open to everyone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Options

Sounds like someone talking off the top of their head
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Not a problem, just open a new basic bank account.

No credit checks, open to everyone.

Yep, no problems in getting a new bank account. If overdrawn, all the more reason to walk away and add it to the DRO.

Just avoid Nat West
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure