PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Aircon impact property price?

2»

Comments

• If it wasn't there, they wouldn't know it gets really hot in summer.

When people see it they will realise that it must get really hot in summer and they will either have to pay to maintain and run the AC and keep cool, or get really hot.

So I can't see anyone doing anything other than paying less for the flat than they would without A/C.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    I'd be slightly put off a house with air conditioning installed. It would just be another thing that could break and need repairing, or removing, and I'd have no idea how much that would cost or what damage it would do to the d!cor to remove all the units.
    We get maybe three non-continuous weeks of really hot weather every summer, which I've never felt is enough to warrant getting permanent air conditioning installed.
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 721
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd be slightly put off a house with air conditioning installed. It would just be another thing that could break and need repairing, or removing, and I'd have no idea how much that would cost or what damage it would do to the d!cor to remove all the units.
    We get maybe three non-continuous weeks of really hot weather every summer, which I've never felt is enough to warrant getting permanent air conditioning installed.

Its not expensive to run (i'm talking about the proper split electric system)- and it heats as well (1/3rd the price of electric heaters) and its as reliable as your fridge, because thats all it is a pump and a fan.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Penitent wrote: »
    Well, that's put me off getting our concrete house insulated. It would be nice to have less heat loss in the winter, but if it's going to make it even hotter in the summer, we can't have it (it's bad enough now). I was told it would make it cooler.

The maximum temperature you experience in the house is not likely to change with insulation - it's just that it takes longer to heat up (which is great if the hot spell is only a day or two), and it takes longer to cool down once it's hot. It's definitely better at dealing with the odd hot day.

I've seen a lot of misleading adverts stating that insulation will make houses cooler - it does for a short period, but it's only delaying the heat transfer from outside to inside, not stopping it completely. The idea is that as it might take 12 hours to transfer heat through, by then it is a cool night and open windows will allow the heat to be removed. If it's still hot at night, and there's no breeze, then this isn't going to happen.

Don't forget that we have a lot more cold days than hot days, so it's not really a reason not to get the house insulated - it's just that the sales people shouldn't be misleading you with this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure