Failed surveying because the flat is currently a HMO?

So we have been working on applying for a mortgage on this ELA flat for almost a month now with Natwest. The current (or possibly previous) landlord had put up a wall in the middle of the living room and partitioned it into two bedrooms. And right now he has in total 4 separate tenants in an originally 2 bedroom flat. The survey report came back recently and it says that currently it's considered to be a HMO (House in multiple occupation) and therefore it's not a "suitable security". We applied for a residential mortgage and it will simply be a flat for the three of us to live in. We have no intention to lease out any of the rooms in the future! So we are absolutely gutted by the decision.

So our mortgage broker advised us to prepare some evidence to show that the flat will only be used for our own residential purposes and he has sent off two letters (one from the vendor detailing the current tenants have been notified and will be vacated before completion, another from us declaring that we won't be turning the flat into another HMO) to Natwest to appeal against the surveying decision.

Can anyone suggest if there's anything else I can do to assist the application?

Thanks!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Offer to accept an amount retained until the partition wall has been removed and lounge reinstated?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Get the current owners to reinstate the property to it's original layout.
  • callum323
    callum323 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 8:25PM
    Thrugelmir, AnotherJoe:

Thanks for your replies! I am not sure how the vendor might respond to that as there are tenants living in there still until June and we are looking at completion roughly at that time unfortunately.

Do you think the fact that there are multiple tenants living in the flat is a bigger problem than the wall? Of course if the former is the main issue, we can try to convince the lender we will be the only occupants. If the latter is the problem then we might have to resort to asking the landlord to remove the wall?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The tenants need to be out before you exchange and you need to visit and ascertain that is the case.

That is exchange, not completion.

I wouldn't be that keen on them reinstating beforehand , who knows what mess they might make ? Unless you accept that a mess might need fixing but at least it's not structural. But if the LL is intending to have tenants up until near completion,I doubt they would spend the money anyway.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't be that keen on them reinstating beforehand , who knows what mess they might make ? Unless you accept that a mess might need fixing but at least it's not structural. But if the LL is intending to have tenants up until near completion,I doubt they would spend the money anyway.

Likewise you expect a lender to advance money on a what if scenario. Safe to assume the conversion isn't either authorised by the freeholder or Council compliant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure