BT vs Plusnet

Options
NeillB
NeillB Posts: 98 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 April 2017 at 6:05PM in Phones & TV
Hi

I know this has been mentioned on here many times before so apologies but Im interested in anyones thoughts on my problem. Ive been with BT for 12 years and on my deal for line rental, unlimited broadband option 2 and evening and weekend calls I pay £41.09 a month (this includes £17.09 a month line rental saver).

For the same thing with Plusnet (only difference is paying for caller display at 99p a month and taking their supposed 76mbps fibre unlimited broadband) will cost £32.49 a month. BT were to ring me back tonight to discuss my package which they havent bothered doing :( I was all set for a switch to Plusnet but read the Trustpilot reviews and some on here and Im thinking of suffering the extra money per month for a stable connection. Ironically my only problems with BT have been about contact for price rises and changes to terms and conditions which Im never told about!

If I ever get around to switching are Plusnet that bad? Im thinking of asking BT for a £150 reward card for causing me so much bother over the last while. Goodness Im peeved off. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PN are BT so hardly a more stable connection .
    If you are out of contract tell BT you are leaving .
    For instance my last BT negotiations March 2017 gave me Infinity 1 + Advanced Line Rental + BT TV Entertainment Plus + Half Price BT Sport from August . circa £33 per month .
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2017 at 7:24PM
    Options
    I switched from BT to Plusnet part of the BT Group a few months ago. The service is fine my Broadband Speed is the same and the line is stable. Its probaly the same set of wires they are using.I did it via Top Cashback and got some cashback.

Plusnet Evening and Weekend Package is better then Bt,s as it includes monthly 1000 inclusive uk mobile minutes to use during evenings and at weekends.If thats any use to you.

If you use BT Smart Talk you lose this if you go to Plusnet .Also you lose free access to BT Wi-Fi.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2017 at 7:41PM
    Options
    one free call to bt retentions should reduce that price significantly, it's about £15 too much, and if you don't need the evening aspect could be cut further.

they are both part of bt

you have to actively challenge most of them on a regular basis to get a decent price at the end of a lock-in period, and they can still increase the price to whatever they wish mid contract if the sneaky terms allow it. Talk talk have differentiated themselves from the rest of the market now, by promising to maintain the fixed price offered at the outset
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 April 2017 at 11:18PM
    Options
    How much do you spend on non-inclusive weekday "daytime" calls to UK landline numbers, 03 numbers and UK mobile numbers?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    Options
    you need to move away from BT somehow.

Try EE if you don't like plusnet
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are not EE BT as well ??
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    Options
    owned by BT, but don't have BT's price plans
  • NeillB
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    PN are BT so hardly a more stable connection .
    If you are out of contract tell BT you are leaving .
    For instance my last BT negotiations March 2017 gave me Infinity 1 + Advanced Line Rental + BT TV Entertainment Plus + Half Price BT Sport from August . circa £33 per month .

I know that BT own Plusnet. The only reason im able to potentially leave is because i was never given notification of 2 April rise. After using the full list of price comparison sites Plusnet are the best like for like match with my current contract with BT comingin at £103 or so less a year. The dodgy reviews are off putting but Ive never had much issues around connections as I only live a mile and a half if even that from the local phone exchange. If BT cant come up with the goods then I may go to Plusnet and just keep using my Homehub 4.
  • NeillB
    edited 16 April 2017 at 12:37PM
    Options
    :rotfl:
    Ian011 wrote: »
    How much do you spend on non-inclusive weekday "daytime" calls to UK landline numbers, 03 numbers and UK mobile numbers?

I average about £15 or £16 a month as myself and my girlfriend dont make alot of calls on our mobiles compared to friends and family. As an example my latest direct debit bill was for £37 or so. £24 of this is for the broadband and calls package. Just in you are wondering Im not sure where the smiley face icon came from above your quote :D I did put this one in though.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 April 2017 at 1:24PM
    Options
    NeillB wrote: »
    I average about £15 or £16 a month as myself and my girlfriend don't make a lot of calls on our mobiles compared to friends and family. As an example my latest direct debit bill was for £37 or so. £24 of this is for the broadband and calls package. Just in you are wondering, I'm not sure where the smiley face icon came from above your quote :D I did put this one in though.
    If you have an "evening and weekend" call plan but are spending an additional £15 per month on weekday daytime calls to landline numbers, 03 numbers and mobile numbers it sounds like changing to an Unlimited Anytime call plan will save you money.

An Unlimited Anytime call plan costs around £8 per month plus line rental. This is just a few pounds per month more than you are currently paying for the "evening and weekend" plan. On that call plan, non-inclusive weekday daytime calls cost around 21p per call plus around 12p per minute.

Beware that while most landline providers (Plusnet, Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and others) offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers, BT is the only major landline provider to not do so. BT offers half price (8p per minute instead of 16p per minute) calls to mobile numbers on their Unlimited Anytime call plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure