Help:Three network are scamming me

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pmduk wrote: »
    So what happens when a customer service rep refuses you permission to record the call? They are quite entitled to of course.

Then the call ends and you don't buy something without being aware of the terms?
  • Carrot007
    And your second bit is ridiculous. Just because they tell you that they are recording the call, doesn't mean you get to do it as well under that disclaimer!

But they don't do that do they. They say the call may be recorded. This implies you can record it too.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    But they don't do that do they. They say the call may be recorded. This implies you can record it too.

How do you work that out?
  • Carrot007
    How do you work that out?

We say that ambiguous terminology goes in the consumers way right?

"This call may be recorded for quality control and blah blah blah".

No implicit implication of who may record the call. Therefore the call can be recorded by either side.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You're wrong. Both parties have to be aware. The agent knows the company is recording the call, the purpose for their doing so and the company's data protection register status.

You're offering none of that. I'd disconnect your call.
  • Classic piece of diversion away from the actual point there. Make another statement, which actually has no relevance to the point that was being made, but frame it as though the two are mutually exclusive. Textbook stuff, well done.

Thanks and glad to help!

Firms record calls because, yes, they do sometimes get things wrong but they also record calls because some consumers lie through their teeth and then come crying to the forums to proclaim that horrible firm is bullying them.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    We say that ambiguous terminology goes in the consumers way right?

"This call may be recorded for quality control and blah blah blah".

No implicit implication of who may record the call. Therefore the call can be recorded by either side.

Where do "we" say that?

Most companies that record calls do it for training purposes. The "implication" that you say doesn't exist is that the company is telling the person on the other end (ie you) that the call is being recorded. The implication therefore is that the person on the other end (ie you) didn't realise/know the call was being recorded because it wasn't being recorded by the person on the other end (ie you).
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You're wrong. Both parties have to be aware. The agent knows the company is recording the call, the purpose for their doing so and the company's data protection register status.

Only if you're intending to make the recording available to a third party.

However I'd also point out that DPA doesn't cover companies data and it only covers personal data which can be used (either on its own or together with other data you have access to) to identify a living individual.

I'm not quite sure the call would contain any personal data which would enable them to object to its processing.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite

No, you are wrong. You can record any call you are a party to. The requirement to inform the other party only applies to business. You cant publish a transcript of that call but you are entitled to record it for your own record.

In fact this also applies to physical conversations as proven very publicly when 2 police officers decided to blatantly lie in a briefing to the media about the contents of a private meeting with an MP. Said MP sensibly recorded the meeting, a fact of which the officers were not aware at the time and when they complained later that they were outed got told plainly that it was perfectly legal.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There should be an easy solution to this.

So they either have the transcript or they dont. If they do it should vindicate you, youll get an apology and maybe an extra data bundle for a month.

If they dont, youve got an argument to make. They say you took out a contract you need to pay the bill. You say youre not paying the bill because theyve charged you wrong. They say theyve charged you as per contract, you say prove it and they say theyve not got the transcript. Well if they dont, they dont have any contract agreement for you.

It worked really well for me with vodafone when they offered me 30% discount. Unfortunately i got disconnected from the web chat while the man went to process the deal. Naturally couldnt get hold of that person again and they put the contract through without the 30%. Vodafone told me i would have to pay the higher amount as per contract. I asked to be put through to cancellations and asked to leave the contract as they where refusing to honour the original. They said sure that would be £xxx. So I asked for the transcript of me agreeing to the contract (the same one where they offered 30% discount) of which they couldnt provide. So i simply asked the question of which theyd prefer, nothing or £508.80 over 24 months. They chose the latter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure