mechanic takes my car for a joy ride with his mates

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Surely a mechanic wouldn't be stupid enough to leave the dash cam on?

We have them in my work vehicles (Camera facing out and one trained on the driver).

You would be amazed what some of the drivers get upto as they forget about the cameras.

I'm guessing the dealership is based in Battersea
  • Manager to technician "A customer has just phoned to complain that he has footage on his dashcam of his car being taken out for the night, carrying friends etc. You were the technician assigned the job. Is there anything you want to tell us?". Technician "Sorry guvnor, fair cop". Manager "You're fired".

Don't really need the video if the tech admits to it.
  • gerdo
    gerdo Posts: 183
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I find it hard to believe that a landrover dealership would allow a mechanic to take a customer's car overnight.

I'd be furious just like the OP. If they are an authorised Landrover dealership, I'd report them to Landrover.(but after I got my £3000 back)
  • Personally I don't believe a word of it, however if true, more likely the employee was suspended pending investigation, I would find it highly unlikely an employer would sack someone in that type of situation without seeing the evidence fist.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2017 at 2:40PM
    The guy was an absolute idiot ! But he's been sacked he will have no reference ! I feel he's paid the price of trying to look cool for a night.

The director has personally apologised to you, you have had £3000 work done for free. Your car is ok your £3000 better off.

I appreciate your car may be your pride and joy, so understand you anger. However please look at the bigger picture.

I think you should leave it there. You've not lost anything, your £3000 better off. On the other hand the silly man who did this is probably claiming JSA and could only dream of having a car like you. Please leave it alone it won't change the situation.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    As stated already contact Police regarding reporting TWOC. Doesn't generate a crime report but does cover the OP if any reports are made about the technician using his car.

Given that it's a recordable crime it would.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2017 at 3:26PM
    Given that it's a recordable crime it would.

Check your definitions, recordable yes but notifiable no. Crimes are submitted for notifiable offences. The recordable bit refers to a conviction being recorded on the PNC.

Of course if it were agg TWOC that would be both recordable and notifiable. ��
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    Check your definitions, recordable yes but notifiable no. Crimes are submitted for notifiable offences. The recordable bit refers to a conviction being recorded on the PNC.

Of course if it were agg TWOC that would be both recordable and notifiable. ��

TWOC is both PNC recordable and needs a crime report.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Apols, brain fart.

TWOC as the taker of the vehicle is indeed notifiable. I was getting muddled with TWOC allowing to be carried which is just recordable.
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Perhaps OP needs help setting the dashcam up as this one doesn't appear to loop record.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure