PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Options

Comments

• bumpercars99
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Breadcrumbs? Although I only really use those for bread sauce at christmas... I'm sure even if they're white bread you can adapt a brown bread ice cream recipe. :D

Can you make this with crusts? Whenever I make breadcrumbs, I cut off the custs and chuck them out for the birds. Maybe I just have snobby breadcrumb recipes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you have a food processor, process the crusts and use mixed with some grated cheese for a gratin type topping. I make a cauliflower and broccoli gratin, it is delicious with baked tomato's and a jacket spud. I do not process the bread too finely, I like the knobbly bits that go crisp when you bake the gratin.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    Oh good, it isn't just me that has dusty ingredients!

I decided that it would take too long to bash all the linseeds, so I'm going to add them whole to some overnight oats with apple puree (I have a big jar to use). But I've given myself a headstart by adding a few tablespoons to a monster batch of smoked paprika hummus. I've also moved the pack next to the oats to serve as a reminder!

I know the Hugh FW salad dressing recipe MrsLurcherWalker mentioned, and it is scrummy. Having used all but 2 tablespoons of my neglected tahini this evening I'm minded to make it too, so I'll have a look for it as well.

Egg noodles - is there anyone in the family that will eat them? Hugh FW makes some good suggestions for "homemade healthy pot noodles" prepared in clip jars, good for packed lunches.

Lentils - gosh, I use them for everything! How about making some soup portions for the freezer? I know the merchant gourmet lentils you mean, I love them too but can't remember the last time I treated myself to some.
    Linseeds need to have their husk broken so we can absorb the nutrients.
    Eating them whole won't do any good.

They are the best source of ALA omega 3s and are amazing benefit to health.

A 1 ounce (3 tbsp) serving of flaxseeds contains:

Omega-3 (ALA) 6,338mg
    Fiber 8g
    Protein 6g
    Vitamin B1 31% RDA
    Manganese 35% RDA
    Magnesium 30% RDA
    Phosphorus 19% RDA
    Selenium 10% RDA
    Also, flaxseeds contain a good amount of vitamin B6, Iron, potassium, copper and zinc.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    I decided that it would take too long to bash all the linseeds, so I'm going to add them whole to some overnight oats with apple puree (I have a big jar to use). But I've given myself a headstart by adding a few tablespoons to a monster batch of smoked paprika hummus. I've also moved the pack next to the oats to serve as a reminder!
    I think you need to grind them or they just go through you whole! I process mine in small batches in a coffee grinder.
    Can you make this with crusts? Whenever I make breadcrumbs, I cut off the custs and chuck them out for the birds. Maybe I just have snobby breadcrumb recipes.

I only ever use crusts for breadcrumbs...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Crusts make breadcrumbs identical to those made with softer slices, just whiz them in the food processor and you'll not see a difference.

I make an old 'wartime' Cheese Pudding if I have stale crusts that need using up it's breadcrumbs soaked in an egg and milk mixture, grated cheese and seasonings stirred in, leave it to stand for half an hour or so to 'plump up' the breadcrumbs and then bake it in a medium oven for half an hour or so until it is golden, puffed and wonderful! It's a savoury delight!
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 April 2017 at 9:37PM
    Options
    Crusts make breadcrumbs identical to those made with softer slices, just whiz them in the food processor and you'll not see a difference.

I make an old 'wartime' Cheese Pudding if I have stale crusts that need using up it's breadcrumbs soaked in an egg and milk mixture, grated cheese and seasonings stirred in, leave it to stand for half an hour or so to 'plump up' the breadcrumbs and then bake it in a medium oven for half an hour or so until it is golden, puffed and wonderful! It's a savoury delight!

Cheese pudding sounds delicious - I've made the sweet version - queen of puddings. Another good use for breadcrumbs.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/british/queen-of-puddings
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Of course you can always use crusts to make old fashioned 'BREAD PUDDING' too! in that they are soaked in a little water to soften them and then mixed in with the other ingredients to make a delicious cake/pudding which is extremely economical. I have a wartime recipe that is very low fat and sugar with a little dried fruit in it that turns out amazingly well!
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornmeal is nice in cheese scones. replace half of the flour and 1tsp baking powder.
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    I use bread slowly so put loaves into the freezer. I use it for poached egg on toast in the morning but don't like the enders for toast. I've recently noticed that I have quite a collection of enders building up in the freezer. I have about 20 slices now :eek:

Anyone got any ideas on what to do with them. I'm loathed to throw them out.
    How about making bread and butter pudding or marmalade pudding? I've never tried either using crusts but I don't see why it should be a problem .
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers about linseeds, sadly I don't own a pestle and mortar or a coffee grinder. Smacking them with a rolling pin didn't make any difference :( Perhaps I just need to donate them to someone with either tool!

I don't like the ends of the loaf either, and stick them in the freezer until the less fussy MrBB comes along. Could use them for croutons perhaps?
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family