The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......

Options

Comments

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PH, my weight fluctuates and it has a major impact on my health. For me the issue is not just bread but all grains as there appears to be a direct relationship between me eating grains and flares sadly. I mostly eat meat, nuts, fruit and veg now. And wine, obviously. I have to ration cheese sadly. I liked slimming world red for the same reasons, but didn't realise at the time it was the reduction in grains that works for me. Maybe try making half of everything you eat vegetables? There is a slimming world thread on OS where they explain the approach rather than pay to go and join something.

Anyway I was rather overweight and scarily unfit when I started running - did the couch to 5k with the podcasts. Its amazing how quickly you can re-programme your body to run, I would never have believed that ten weeks in I could shuffle along for 40 minutes without needing to walk, when at the start I was out of breath going up the stairs. The financial barrier to running is that you need a sports bra, and the right trainers. Right trainers made all the difference in the world - stopped my shins from hurting.

I shouldn't run now because of the fibro but I do walk a lot. There are walking for weight loss plans on the internet, although I favour the never sitting down approach rather than a plan as such. I think the key thing is walking fast enough to up the heart rate and get into fat burn. I have a fitbit and find the challenges set by friends quite motivating. Will your DS be happy to walk with you?

Is there a park near you with the outdoor exercise equipment? Maybe DS can play on the proper park while you use the machines which might make it easier to fit in.

My OH bought an overlocker for his outdoor stuff, he absolutely loves it. I think he watched a lot of you tube videos to understand its capabilities. He will sew curtains for me but I have to measure and cut them so I haven't done much about it yet. Did buy the fabric - do you know the fabric mill shop in Northampton? They have a clearance room with a lot of £1/m fabric so I have a few rolls as a result. It's not far from the Tandy leather place so an expensive day out for us as he bought half a cow or something for making knife sheaths.

Luckily Redo I don't do wine but like the very occasional real ale.:D. I started C25k last year but had to stop because of the hip bursitis. I should really try gain. I have the trainers but not a sports bra. I think Lidl may have them in so i will have a look.

The park does have an outdoor gym and free lessons. I need to get motivated to use them.

I haven't used that fabric shop. I tend to head to the Rag Market in
    Brum, but a visit maybe on the cards if its near Tandy. I have used them in the past for my leatherwork stuff. I had a whole buffalo in my workshop once, it was huge.:rotfl:
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • parsniphead
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

;) :rotfl:

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
  • parsniphead
    Options
    Well I've been drinking the water, with the usual results ;) but I'm enjoying it. I have also been researching exercise routines on YouTube and have found a few interesting. I have a half an hour window between getting up and taking DH to the bus station in a morning so I thought it would be a good time to do something.

I'm popping to W1ckes today to get some wax, hinges and handles for my newly refurbed TV cabinet. No more shabby chicing for me :o. What a mess I had created when I painted it.:rotfl:

Later I have some paperwork to do and I still need to get out my current mortgage paperwork and check for PPI.

I have some shopping to do. I need to get a chicken, some washing powder and something for Mr Fussys lunch. I'm getting desperate.

I also need to make contact with a tree surgeon as my tree needs felling before the next storm. It was so scary watching it last time and I made DS sleep in our bed as its near his bedroom on the back.

Apart from that its cleaning and trying to continue to work on sorting the house. I'm finding that the more I declutter that the house isn't looking very nice because it's not dressed. It's looking bare if you know what I mean. I think I need to start moving away from magnolia and starting to decorate properly. I did buy a colour for my sitting room which wasn't called magnolia but when I put it on the wall, well it's magnolia all but in name.

Anyway I must pop off now and get on. Have a good day all.

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey parsnip, I've let the exercise stop and the weight creep back on, it's so hard isn't it!!! My fitness pal does help. I've been eating so much bread! Eating rounds and rounds of toast! But I've run out of marmite, and as my new budget won't stretch to it, I haven't got any and don't want toast without it! So that has helped. I only buy OH and small ones biscuits I don't like! I did quite well with the weight loss group on here years ago, weighing in every Friday.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 August 2017 at 10:40AM
    Options
    I like the spark people exercise videos on youtube, worth a look.

Neighbours have tree surgeon in stump grinding. Isn't doing anything for my mild hangover. Shall I send them your way?
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I love reading your plans. I have my Mum's overlocker... never used it. I really need to clear some of the unwanted stuff so I have room for the things I want to do.
    Cherry is running and DIA is now a gym bunny. Where do I start? I'm about three stone overweight and 5' 2". I would like to get rid of the three stone and get back to 9st. The problem is that the weight is causing so much pain the thought of exercise scares me a little.....but if I don't lose it I will have to keep dealing with the pain. So baby steps. Step one this week is to dramatically up my water intake which always makes me feel better, cut out the bread and cheese (I love cheese) and go for a daily walk. I lost a stone a few years ago just doing this. I know I'm not one of those 600lb people (how do those people do it, they must feel so poorly) but it's starting to affect my life.

Now it's 18 weeks to christmas, sorry, and I have 42lbs to lose. If I lose two pound a week between now and the I will lose 36lbs. I'm not a big, stuff my face over christmas type so this won't be an issue. That will leave 6 lbs to lose. A possible challenge?

I was 2 stone overweight, now 1 stone overweight, and you are fractionally taller than I am. I wouldn't have done it without the prospect of being immortalised in my son's wedding pictures in a dress that was originally too tight! :rotfl:

Exercise has made a huge difference, not only in speeding up my metabolism (slow due to thyroid problem) but also toning me up and creating endorphins. I calorie counted but I got the exercise to make me feel better, otherwise I feel deprived and I focus on food and notice it too much.

The progress I've made so far has been supported by lots of things. Getting out and about is a game-changer for me. It doesn't sound as though running would be good for you at this stage, but walking, cycling or swimming might be your thing. I'm a great advocate of learning some good stretches to counteract the achy muscles, too.

If I may make a suggestion? That final goal of yours, losing 6lbs. Make that your first goal.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I also need to make contact with a tree surgeon as my tree needs felling before the next storm. It was so scary watching it last time and I made DS sleep in our bed as its near his bedroom on the back.

If by any chance it's near overhead electrical wires, the electricity people may do the work for free. They are felling a tree and doing a drastic trim on another for us for free, due to wires, but when we had to pay for work it was a couple of hundred pounds.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PH I don't know if you've ever looked at the 5:2 diet, if not it's definitely worth a look. Everything is on the internet, including forums, and it's nowhere near as daunting as it sounds.
    I lost 2.5 stones in about 5 months and wasn't sticking to it rigidly. :j
    The 2 'fasting days' ie Tuesday and Thursday as they don't have to be consecutive, I ate a main meal at night ie quorn cottage pie and steamed veg (I'm vege) and if hungry on those days used Ryvita with low cal toppings ie tomato, cucumber, cottage cheese etc. The other 5 days is eating 'normally' but obviously not going crazy!:eek:
    I need to get back on it as I still have about 3 stone to lose (life got in the way!) :o
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    Options
    i think there's a bit of a dilemma to loosing weight (says she who has three stone to loose!). If you really hate or can't do conventional exercise it's a waste of time to try. You're better just trying to incorporate walking or something that you can manage into a daily/weekly regime. Loosing weight is ultimately about willpower (in which I am sadly lacking in a big way) but some diets do help. Slimming world , weightwatchers, 5.2 etc are all about consuming less calories that you use in energy. Unfortunately the things that taste really good and are tempting are the ones that are high in calories . Any tips on avoiding chocolate gratefully received! By the way, I'm not preaching. Just saying it's hard and whatever works for you is good.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Chappers27
    Options
    It's funny how people have to talk themselves into doing stuff.
    no signature
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport