The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    shaggydoo wrote: »
    I've been posting on this thread for six years (others have been here longer than that :D) and I also keep an alcohol spreadsheet - so yes it is possible to never take your eyes off the ball:D

That's me. I think I've been here for seven!!:eek:

If it helps piggles, I've gone from a bottle+ every day (DH and I used to get through at least two but I always had more than my fair share:o) so about 10 bottles a week just for me to my current three. I never set out to give up just to put me in control of the booze rather than the other way round. Those are the numerical facts but there are so many other positives like no embarrassing moments, no hangovers and best of all for me fewer calories!!

Although I only plan 10 AFDs a month. I know I'm now a moderate, 'normal' social drinker. Posting on here makes me keep on the straight and narrow.

Good Luck with your own journey. Just ask if there's any way we can help:).
  • 16/31 please and thank you shaggy.
    Ms leaf has grown into a tree
    :)
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    11/14 AFDs today.
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello everyone, just decided to drop by and say hello. Its been over a year since I last came to this thread. Looks like a few familiar faces are still here. Hope everyone is ok and doing well.

My life is going well, i feel in control of the alcohol most of the time. Had 4 AF days this week but tonight I am going out with a friend for a catch up drink. Usually I would have a pre going out drink, but I decided as I have a busy day tomorrow I would have my drinks at the pub. Planning on 2 glasses of wine, 3 at a push. But I have also eaten dinner, something else I would have forgone in the past.

My kids are doing well, DS is turning 9 next month and my DD is approaching 8. It goes too fast. I am still single, had a few dates and a 3 month relationship, but no one really special. Thankfully I am well and truly over my ex husband, so no going back there. Probably for the best.

Work is going well and I am pleased to say going self employed was the best thing for me since being on my own with the kids. It might not last for ever but even so, for now it works.

So how are you and what have you been up to?

Cuppa.

Shaggy, I intend to drop by more frequently can I please join the challenge. I have had AF days this month but can't remember how many. This week I have had 4 so far. Maybe I should say 8/21. Love the low AF day idea. Stops you from feeling having a unit or two is a complete right off. Its learning control and limits too.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    shaggydoo wrote: »
    I've been posting on this thread for six years (others have been here longer than that :D) and I also keep an alcohol spreadsheet - so yes it is possible to never take your eyes off the ball:D

Me too, in various incarnations. I think it must have been at least 7 years since I was originally Pariskate, when we were living in Paris and we left there 7.5 years ago!
    Gee, shows you that constant vigilance is needed!

5/10 for me today please Shaggy, I did fancy a drink earlier but that passed quickly.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    15/21 please Shaggy x
  • maman
    :wave:cuppa, good to see you. So pleased you're still in control of the booze. Great that you're joining the thread again:).
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    10 tonight but really wondering what the point is for me. I have significantly cut back drinking, got out of debt, take the pills I'm prescribed, go to counselling (with wife and on my own), see someone about self harm but nothing's changed. I still don't sleep well, can't hope to make anything of myself. The years are passing quickly and I'm not getting any younger. My son is growing up, at school now, so I've hardly the excuses I had. I'm not any better, in fact had some days during this year have been as bad as when I was really ill.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    10 tonight but really wondering what the point is for me. I have significantly cut back drinking, got out of debt, take the pills I'm prescribed, go to counselling (with wife and on my own), see someone about self harm but nothing's changed. I still don't sleep well, can't hope to make anything of myself. The years are passing quickly and I'm not getting any younger. My son is growing up, at school now, so I've hardly the excuses I had. I'm not any better, in fact had some days during this year have been as bad as when I was really ill.

Oh Alex - your post made me sad. You say you've no hope of making anything of yourself, but hun, you already have! You have a wife who obviously loves you enough to go to counselling with you and a son for whom you are a hero. They are your point to cutting down the booze. They love you. Everything or anything else doesn't matter. Hopefully this morning you may feel less down - I don't sleep well either, so you have my sympathies, but it's the weekend and time for fun with the family. Hold them close and enjoy your time with them. Sending hugs xxx
  • maman
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    Oh Alex - your post made me sad. You say you've no hope of making anything of yourself, but hun, you already have! You have a wife who obviously loves you enough to go to counselling with you and a son for whom you are a hero. They are your point to cutting down the booze. They love you. Everything or anything else doesn't matter. Hopefully this morning you may feel less down - I don't sleep well either, so you have my sympathies, but it's the weekend and time for fun with the family. Hold them close and enjoy your time with them. Sending hugs xxx

Of course dizzy's right Alex. Turn it the other way: would you want your nearest and dearest to have a drunk for a father/husband? I'm another poor sleeper but take pleasure in the fact that I'm in control of my drinking. There's enough in life that we can't control.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure