Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

Comments

• The theme park tickets sound like a good investment especially as your eldest will take some of the others at times. And cars are generally just money pits (mines going in for its mot next week)
    But to pay all that and to still reduce your debt is brilliant. You are nearly there.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • It's amazing how much we end up spending on presents! I tend to save amazon vouchers earned on swagbucks to spend on presents but always have to use real money as well!
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    I second the theme park tickets comment, they'll be fab when the weather is nice . It's local so not much petrol plus like you say they only need to go a few more times and you've got your money back. You're so focussed it's amazing.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As long as you're ok, was just a bit bothered as it's not like you to be away so long.
    Some times we have to spend money and sometimes it's cause it will be better in the long run, and you still managed to pay lots off the debt so it seems to have worked out all round. Well done.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£320.00 (64%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£058.00 (12%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Mumoffourkids
    Mumoffourkids Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The theme park tickets sound like a good investment especially as your eldest will take some of the others at times. And cars are generally just money pits (mines going in for its mot next week)
    But to pay all that and to still reduce your debt is brilliant. You are nearly there.

Thanks yes and the bonus is that my dad is going to put £100 towards them as two of the kids have birthdays in May. So as soon as that money hits my account which should be later today, I will put half towards debt repayment and half towards holiday fund.

Yes cars are money pits really. Mine is a 7 seater so although its nearly 13 years old, it has done less than average mileage so it still works fine (fingers crossed). It isn't worth a great deal but to buy a new second hand car would cost a lot and I would probably still have to pay out for it! Good luck with your car's MOT, hopefully it won't be too expensive for you.
    It's amazing how much we end up spending on presents! I tend to save amazon vouchers earned on swagbucks to spend on presents but always have to use real money as well!

I have had a few amazon vouchers to use for birthday presents but generally I have the money saved for their presents in a present fund so I haven't had to find the extra money this month. MY present fund gets £150 per month as I do have six kids to pay out for, but that will also include parties or days outs, presents for their friends as well and will include christmas. I will have some left over as I do tend to buy bargains throughout the year when I see things on offer.
    Storm89 wrote: »
    I second the theme park tickets comment, they'll be fab when the weather is nice . It's local so not much petrol plus like you say they only need to go a few more times and you've got your money back. You're so focussed it's amazing.

Yes the weather this last weekend wasn't that great but the eldest still went both Saturday and Sunday with her friends. Its even cheaper to go on the train than waste petrol and pay for parking I think. It cost me £7.15 return for me and all the kids to go on the train and the train station is only a two minute walk from my house. That's because I have a friends and family railcard so its probably cheaper to go by train than drive and pay for parking all day! Thanks, I try to be focused, at the moment, I just want to buy a house but know I'm not ready to do that yet. I just hope my dream house doesn't come up when I'm not ready!
  • Mumoffourkids
    As long as you're ok, was just a bit bothered as it's not like you to be away so long.
    Some times we have to spend money and sometimes it's cause it will be better in the long run, and you still managed to pay lots off the debt so it seems to have worked out all round. Well done.

I know I'm usually posting every day or at least every two days. I think it all got me a bit down the spending of money on the car and then I felt like I was being a bit frivolous with the theme park tickets but it will be fine. And yes I still paid nearly £1000 off the debt this month. I am hoping to pay off £1100 next month as well, although I might have to push the earning of extra money so I can try and get into the 3's next month!
  • Mumoffourkids
    So I shouldn't have said anything about my car as driving to work this morning it came up with battery charging fault and when I got to work, it now won't start again! So cue phone call to breakdown cover and they are picking it up and taking it to my local garage. I have also phoned the garage who said it sounds like an alternator problem and they are going to try and fix it before tomorrow lunchtime as that is when we go away. Just in case, I am going to look into prices for hire cars in case it isn't fixed! What a nightmare!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hope your car is mended soon.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Hopefully the car is fixed quickly. Don't look at any houses on the market until you're in a position to move. I'm terrible always looking online and I've also set my heart on that new build haha.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Thank you all for your wishes of the car being fixed quickly. It was indeed fixed quickly and we went away for the weekend. It was a fantastic weekend but I kind of took my eye off the ball with regard to money. I didn't spend too much on the weekend, just a bit on ice creams for the kids.

This evening I have reconciled my spreadsheet and I am back on track. The car needing to be fixed has put me back on my plans for debt repayment this month, so I need to motivate myself to make some extra money!

But today I have been catching up with washing and tidying the house and that will be the same for tomorrow and Thursday. Friday and this weekend I can then focus on making some extra money!

Right I need to go to sleep as another early start in the morning but I will be back on tomorrow to list what I want to get done this weekend!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback