IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN, Wrong RinGo Code!

Notepad2608
Notepad2608 Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 7 April 2018 at 5:30PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Good afternoon all.

I’ll start by saying the info here is great. I wish I had come here as soon as I received the PCN but alas, I have been a little naive.

This is my situation.

I parked my car in a camera controlled car park managed by Excel Parking. I called the automated RinGo phone line to pay for an hours parking using my credit card. I left 30 minutes later. I received a PCN through the post via my employer as I drive a company car. I have, naively, acknowledged that I was driving the vehicle.

So here is what happen. When calling RinGo I entered the car park identification code as 2006 instead of 2008. 2006 is the code for the immediately adjacent car park also managed by Excel with the same fees to park.

My point is that it is obvious to anyone that I have paid for my parking. The RinGo records show that I paid only a minute or two after the photo on the PCN shows me arriving in car park 2008.

Yes, I have made an error and entered the wrong car park ID code but my car can’t be in two places at once. It is clear that I intended to pay for parking in car park 2008 (where Excel’s photographs prove my car is parked).

I have appealed to Excel Parking and the IAS and both have dismissed the appeal.

This just feels wrong. Can anyone advise on my next move? (7 days left to pay)

Thanks.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    See the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum

You are now in the debt collectors stage

Wait and see if they proceed to court action and come back then for advice on your defence

They have 6 years to take legal action
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Can anyone advise on my next move? (7 days left to pay).

No, there is the rest of your life not to pay, stop reading their artificial deadlines and 'scary' letters. Of course you lost at the IAS, it's considered a kangaroo court - biased in favour of the parking firm scum - and none of us would have recommended you even touch it. If you'd come here earlier you'd be sitting tight and ignoring them right now.

I received a PCN through the post via my employer as I drive a company car. I have, naively, acknowledged that I was driving the vehicle.
    Not a bad thing, as your employer is therefore out of the equation and this is yours to ignore, unless they try a small claim.

Excel use BW Legal and the cases are defendable, we've never seen any poster lose a well-defended case when coached here, ever since these firms started jumping on the court bandwagon about a year ago.

Read a number of threads about Excel/BW Legal court claims and how people won.

And read the NEWBIES thread post #2, all about court defence stage. This is NOT something to pay. What you have described is a decent argument in court, that you made 'reasonable endeavours' to pay for the right car park and Excel know where your car was from their own evidence, so they KNOW you paid for parking.

There will be other standard arguments which is why I suggest you now read other Excel/BW Legal court defence threads, whilst you are not stressing out about getting a court claim in the post.

Forewarned is forearmed, come back when the claim arrives. No big deal, no risk as long as you don't ignore it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Notepad2608
    Thanks Coupon-Mad and Quentin.

Waiting and researching was what I thought too. Wish I came here sooner, I've already recommended the forum to a colleague whose brother got a PCN last week.

Reading the posts, I can’t quite believe how prolific these chancers are.

Great advice, thanks again. I shall return if a claim is sent.
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    This would be a distance contract since you entered into the contract by phone. Excel don't obey the distance contract rules, so come back for a defence if they do do court.

See The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • Notepad2608
    Thanks hoohoo i will doo.

If they don't obey distance contract rules then hopefully they will cut their losses and not bother taking it further. We shall see.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good afternoon all.

This relates to a post from 30th June 2017. PNC, Wrong RinGo Code.

Can I suggest you post your above post onto your existing thread where all the background information is already?

Please then return to this thread and edit your opening post to replace the text with something like:
    Duplicate thread. Please ignore.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The claimant is Vehicle Control Services Ltd (Excel Parking) and the particulars of the claim state.
    Which one is it? They are separate companies? Is one suing you, but relying on the other's signs/paperwork - we've seen it before?

But if there is another thread covering the background to this, you need to get this merged with it. Please PM a board guide (bottom r/h side of the thread list page to link to them) to activate.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Notepad2608
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Which one is it? They are separate companies? Is one suing you, but relying on the other's signs/paperwork - we've seen it before?

But if there is another thread covering the background to this, you need to get this merged with it. Please PM a board guide (bottom r/h side of the thread list page to link to them) to activate.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have PM Crabman to ask for this and the original post to be linked.

RE: VCS or Excel. I have checked and all correspondence has been from Vehicle Control Services. However, all signage in the car park shows Excel Paring Services as does my credit card statement.

It is Vehicle Control Services who are bringing the claim.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks for the quick response.

I have PM Crabman to ask for this and the original post to be linked.

RE: VCS or Excel. I have checked and all correspondence has been from Vehicle Control Services. However, all signage in the car park shows Excel Paring Services as does my credit card statement.

It is Vehicle Control Services who are bringing the claim.

When you come to your defence, this will be a major issue in your favour.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Threads have been merged. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts