Compensation after train derailment

BStark
BStark Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 4 December 2017 at 12:14PM in Public transport & cycling
Hi,

I could really use some advice on how to go about getting compensation.
I was involved in a train derailment. I have been severely impacted from a mental point of view. I am currently getting help to get over the anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD but this will take time. My psychotherapist is hopeful that I will be able to recover, but increasingly I am growing concerned about how I am going to be able to get back on track with my life.
I have a job I love, but at this moment I am unable to get out of the house by myself (my commute is 3 hours a day and I can't even manage to go out into my garden at the moment). I still suffer badly from insomnia and migraines, so even working from home would be hard and I can't give them the quality I usually give, and it could slow down the healing process. I feel stuck and scared about my career and life in general. It's like being stuck in a constant nightmare. I know I need to start thinking about compensation and make sure that I can still pay my bills and continue getting the support but I don't know how. Does anyone have experience about what to do and what not? Who can I trust? I see these adverts for compensation lawyers are they the best to go with? Is it better to get a lawyer who is closer to me so he/she can really understand the impact? And what's the process? How do you ask for compensation? I know I should at least get a refund for my ticket, but what about the hell this has put me through? The damage to my health now and perhaps in the future? What if this never goes away? What if I am left with migraines for the rest of my life? What about the damage to my career? I was doing so well, really making a difference and this has messed everything up. Please help. Kind regards, B

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When did this horrific incident take place?
  • Surely this is a wind up!
  • What derailment was this, where did it happen?

This is vital, to assess the level of compensayshun you might be entitled to.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think there were two in August - both low speed as the trains were pulling out of station.
  • What derailment was this, where did it happen?

This is vital, to assess the level of compensayshun you might be entitled to.

It happened early in the morning, the 6th of November (3 weeks ago) and it was at low speed, we were just leaving Wimbeldon station. It was the last carriage that derailed.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BStark wrote: »
    Hi,

I could really use some advice on how to go about getting compensation.
    I was involved in a train derailment. I have been severely impacted from a mental point of view. I am currently getting help to get over the anxiety, panic attacks and PTSD but this will take time. My psychotherapist is hopeful that I will be able to recover, but increasingly I am growing concerned about how I am going to be able to get back on track with my life.
    I think you need to concentrate on your therapy.

Looking for compensation is likely to be frustrating and possibly fruitless. It is likely to add stress that I'm sure you can do without. Have you discussed this aspect with your therapist?
  • martindow wrote: »
    I think you need to concentrate on your therapy.

Looking for compensation is likely to be frustrating and possibly fruitless. It is likely to add stress that I'm sure you can do without. Have you discussed this aspect with your therapist?

Thank you. My therapist actually brought it up in one of our first sessions and said that I need to look into it later down the line. But friends of mine said that there is probably a time limit on these things and since I am the one who is the biggest provider in our family, I have to think about these things. I know I couldn't handle the intensity of it yet, at this moment I am just looking for reassurance about where to go and some facts rather than assumptions of my friends. Don't get me wrong, they mean well and they are trying to protect me and my family. But I will take on your advice and talk to my therapist more in detail about this, to at least take the worries away. Cause one of the worst things is the fear of failing the people who depend on me. Thank you.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You might find this helpful.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/personal-injuries/

My suggestion would be that 3 weeks is too early to start doing anything, in part because at this stage you have no idea of the long term impact. But if you want to check out the timescales for your own peace of mind, try an experienced advisor at CAB or go for one of the free half hour sessions with a solicitor who is familiar with the area of legislation. You might want to look at claims companies further down the line but they're not going to be impartial which is probably what you need to start with while you consider your options and try to recover.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Thank you very much, I will look into this when I feel ready for it and I will talk to my therapist about it more too so I can stop worrying. Thank you!
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/06/wimbledon-derailment-passengers-shaken-violently-commuter-train/

This, really? Was there already an underlying mental health condition?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure