Getting deposit back on a car

Options
We paid £150 yesterday to a dealership for a car thats £4000 we were going to get the rest on finance and pay it off over 3 years however I've just found out im being made redundant and will not be able to make the car payments so we cannot afford the car. My question is - can I get my deposit back?

Thanks.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    linzowillo wrote: »
    We paid £150 yesterday to a dealership for a car thats £4000 we were going to get the rest on finance and pay it off over 3 years however I've just found out im being made redundant and will not be able to make the car payments so we cannot afford the car. My question is - can I get my deposit back?

Thanks.
    Was it a non refundable deposit? Have a look at the terms you signed up to and/or ask the dealer.
  • linzowillo
    linzowillo Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options
    On the front the contract it says 'this document contains the terms of a contract. Sign it only if you wish to be legally bound by them. Nothing herein contained is intended to, nor will it affect, a consumer's statutory rights under the sale of goods act 1979 or the unfair contract terms act 1977 or any amendment thereof. '

I dont know what this means and there is no mention of a deposit or a deposit being refundable in the terms of the contract.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure, but I would say that you're commited to buy it. Just explain your situation to the dealer & see what they say.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    Have you gone through the finance application? Once down they probably want to draw down the funds asap. Give them a call first thing tomorrow and explain. If they can cancel the finance, great, but be fully prepared to lose the deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure