Working out energy bills and direct debits

National_Numeracy
National_Numeracy Posts: 48 Organisation Representative
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 29 November 2017 at 3:21PM in Energy
For money savers, the cost of heating your home is always a hot topic (pun intended). But for those with patchy maths skills, understanding the charges can be a bit of a nightmare.

At National Numeracy we want to help people understand the maths behind the charges, so we thought we'd ask for MSE users' help in explaining the numbers.

So, in that spirit - how would you work out the question below? What aspects of numeracy would you use to arrive at your conclusion?

If you use 11,650 kWh of gas a year, what is a sensible amount for a monthly direct debit?

Gas Tariff:
4.0p per kWh
Standing charge 22p/day

If you don't know where to start and you struggle with working out bills, then the National Numeracy Challenge could help. It's a confidential and informal website, where you can assess your numeracy, learn everyday maths, and work towards getting the Essentials of Numeracy. Register for free here.

Related on MoneySavingExpert: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for National Numeracy. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 November 2017 at 2:59PM
    11,650 kwh at 4p/kwh = £466 (multiplication)
    365 days at 22p = £80.30 (multiplication)
    Annual bill (466+80,30) = £546.30. (addition)

Divide that by 12 to give a monthly DD of £45.525 say £46 a month (division)
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    If only it was that easy though.

Your gas usage is probably shown in cubic meters. You need to use a conversion factor (constant) and then adjust for the calorific value (variable) before you get to your KWh usage.

I consider myself highly numerate, but estimating the annual cost of gas is far from straightforward. You need good skills as well if you want to do this on a spreadsheet.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 November 2017 at 3:22PM
    matelodave wrote: »
    11,650 kwh at 4p/kwh = £466 (multiplication)
    365 days at 22p = £80.30 (multiplication)
    Annual bill (466+80,30) = £546.30. (addition)

Divide that by 12 to give a monthly DD of £45.525 say £46 a month (division)

I don't normally make 'me too' posts, but that's how I'd calculate it too.

It's when you are trying to get from Volume of gas to monthly charge via kWh that things get... interesting.

Edit: Nick_C beat me to it, that'll teach me not to refresh before posting.

If I were planning ahead, I think I'd assume a flat CV of 40 as a slight overestimate compared to the average in my region.

I actually have such a spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LsLIrx-lkdJ0FOrg3tSn2RB6a8k9_WUKYfXFExVWjIA/pub?output=xlsx
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If only it was that easy though.
    Your gas usage is probably shown in cubic meters. You need to use a conversion factor (constant) and then adjust for the calorific value (variable) before you get to your KWh usage.

I consider myself highly numerate, but estimating the annual cost of gas is far from straightforward. You need good skills as well if you want to do this on a spreadsheet.

But it is that easy, the conversion was already done for you.

I'm in my 70's and have no difficulty making a spreadsheet and working it out.
  • Nick_C
    st999 wrote: »
    But it is that easy, the conversion was already done for you.

I'm in my 70's and have no difficulty making a spreadsheet and working it out.

Yes, the conversion has been done for us, but in real life it is not that easy if you want to check your consumption has been calculated correctly.

In your 70s, I would expect you to be able to set up a spreadsheet to do this, as maths was taught properly in those days, and you will understand how orders of precedence apply within your formulae. I suffered being taught under the "School Mathematics Project" when I changed schools at 13. My Maths teacher told me to forget BODMAS and simply work from left to right!

I had many work colleagues who would not be able to set up a spreadsheet to work out a gas bill in an elegant manner. :(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Nick_C wrote: »

In your 70s, I would expect you to be able to set up a spreadsheet to do this, :(

Err no. More likely a drawn out table with computed figures worked out by using long multiplication; log tables or a slide rule.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hengus wrote: »
    Err no. More likely a drawn out table with computed figures worked out by using long multiplication; log tables or a slide rule.

I'm in my 70's and so's my wife and we can both set up a spreadsheet (in fact she's better than me at it).

It's a long time since the old "guessing stick" (slide-rule) and log tables have been used although I do tend to use a calculator.

I'm actually horrified at the poor grasp of basic arithmetic of the youngsters nowadays but when I sit down with the grandkids I'm as baffled as they are with the way they are being tought.

They can get it almost the first time when shown the way we do it but it's taking weeks if not months to teach them at school.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Nick_C
    I still have a slide rule but I'm blowed if I can remember how to use it.

I'd be OK with log tables though. In fact it would be nice to have some use for remembering the Log of Pi; one of the many bits of knowledge that I learned as a child which are now useless.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    This thread got pretty alarming.

My kids are too young for school, guess I'll have to pay close attention to their maths homework once they're old enough to start getting it.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I had to give it some thought to work it out, and check with matelodave to see if I was on the right track. I am 68, can't do spreadsheets, columns of numbers mean nothing to me. Maths was my worst subject at school, I have number blindness.

I don't use comparison sites because I don't understand them. I am with a company that charges the same rate for monthly DD and quarterly bills. I prefer to pay quarterly into the Post Office. They have no penalties for paying this way, and no standing charge. I keep my bills low by using gas and electricity frugally.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills