Only freedom will do

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My office is borderline Civil Servicey. Trust me, nobody has an excuse for missing holidays unless they're in an Executive, £100k+ sort of role.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    When I used to work full time in my old job there never seemed enough time to manipulate annual leave to my advantage despite working ridiculous hours. I realise now that it was my attitude to the job and perhaps not the job itself that was the real problem.

Mrs. K. has always had a healthy attitude to her work. She enjoys being there but also enjoys time away.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    So, I have abandoned L1dl in favour of Ald1! Might not sound like much, but I've shopped there predominantly for 5+ years. Prefer Ald1's focus on Scottish produce, smaller but neater store and lack of attitude!
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 April 2017 at 10:36PM
    So, I have abandoned L1dl in favour of Ald1! Might not sound like much, but I've shopped there predominantly for 5+ years. Prefer Ald1's focus on Scottish produce, smaller but neater store and lack of attitude!

I done the same around 2 years ago, but still go the L1dl's for certain items, mainly their Liquorice Allsorts and Strawberry Jam, nobody else's come close.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • edinburgher
    I done the same around 2 years ago, but still go the L1dl's for certain items, mainly their Liquorice Allsorts and Stawberry Jam, nobody else's come close.

I'll still go there for whoopsies and Greek week :)
  • edinburgher
    Carpet has been fitted in our 3rd bedroom, meaning that all we need to do in 2017 (indoors) is fit some flooring in the small downstairs hall and redecorate our room fully. The door is now wedged open, as is the style :rotfl:

To be honest, we can't really afford to PAYG our bedroom this year, so may use a CC to pay for carpet and wardrobe. I can't face plastering/decorating/carpet/joinery as individual projects, so will probably just do it all late summer. Getting there.

On the positive side, Mrs E is hoping to go back up to 4 days in a couple of months. Even with an extra day at nursery for DD, that will add £300/month or so to our gross pay. I'm hoping for a tiny increment in the next few months as well.
  • So, I have abandoned L1dl in favour of Ald1! Might not sound like much, but I've shopped there predominantly for 5+ years. Prefer Ald1's focus on Scottish produce, smaller but neater store and lack of attitude!

I've all but done that, but the reverse - our MrL is streets ahead of our MrAl. I do buy MrAl's nappies, as they've been consistently good, and I'm happy to recommend them. But the shop is too small, for the amount of trade they do and the staff are beyond rude, indifferent, arrogant...... Whereas MrL is much quieter, is as likely to stock produce from our local area as not (same with mrAl - luck of the drawer I think) and the majority of staff are kind, helpful and considerate. A newish mrAl in the town along is much bigger, but it is a nightmare to find things (perhaps because I'm not regular shopper there?) and the staff are as rude as our local branch - plus the car park is a nightmare to get into and out of.

Perhaps it's just down to management at the local level.

I must get around to sorting our Baby Greying's investments, your DD will be streets ahead in the investment game by now :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • edinburgher
    I think you have hit the nail on the head Greying - manners (good or bad) flow from the top!

It probably is time to think about Baby Greying, but I wouldn't worry. Any investments for a child can/probably should be volatile and relatively high risk at this point, so plenty of time to grow a nest egg.

DD is doing well, but she is only competing with herself :) I think she's about 1.9x times her 'benchmark'.

• DD is doing well, but she is only competing with herself :) I think she's about 1.9x times her 'benchmark'.

And I bet she's up to speed with spreadsheeting that......:T:T:T:D Seriously, I must get onto it - it's only a case of pressing a few buttons on the computer!

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • edinburgher
    Well, she mashes laptop keyboard like a pro and yells 'CAT' whenever she sees a mobile phone (blinking YouTub3)! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure