Win 10 creators edition

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 20 April 2017 at 11:46AM in Techie Stuff
I have just updated my laptop to Creators Edition and so far are extremely unimpressed
I was running Professional (1703) I think) which I was happyish with
But on updating - I see no improvement at all
I see several mistakes by MS - such as missing the ability to check what updates are already installed
But no signs of any changes to the OS itself
It was a large download - and took me the best part of an hour to get it up and running
Classic shell didn't like it and needed reinstalling
Edge came up as the default btowser - easily remedied
Don't bother unless you are bored........

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Creators Update is 1703. Perhaps you meant 1607.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe that is why the vast majority of professionals in "creative" fields prefer Macs?
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    There are a few changes in 1703.
    You've got a new 'Paint 3D' app and there are a couple of new categories in Settings for example.
    But by and large it's just a way of moving Windows 10 forward.

If you are using Windows 10 there's no point in not upgrading, as you'll eventually end up with an unsupported operating system.
    But, as you say, there's not a lot of point in diving in earlier than necessary either.

For most people, just letting Windows Update do it's stuff is probably the best option.
    Unless you are having specific problems updating, or you have a lot of PCs to update, in which case using the Media Creation Tool is a good option.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There won't be any updates yet , its a new edition(aka new version of windows), well there is an update for flash....
    It didn't change my preferred browser to edge it's still FF.
    Classic shell is your choice not MS.
    You can now run windows commands from Linux for Windows (Bash) and 3D paint
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    I upgraded one of my systems to creative edition, did take forever, but I would rather it did it when I wanted.

I noticed Microsoft reset my privacy settings on each profile AGAIN, this has to be against data protection law.

Microsoft also nags me to use it's apps when I launch them despite the fact that I have stated I prefer to use my preferred Browser, video player etc, this has to be against anti competition law.

Most annoying thing was it put back all the apps I removed from Start Menu, again it has to be against competition laws as no other software vendor has this sort of access. If it carries on I will start nuking or hiding the folders this crap is stored in. We should have the right to REMOVE what we want, not just disable a tile.

This is my only active Win10 system, all the rest are dual boot and default to Win7

One thing I do like is the themes, probably not that new but does not seem to cripple the machine to use it.

As others say, if you are going to use Win10 then it is going to force you to upgrade, there is no option to prevent updates, only delay them and not for long. Same way as there is no option to disable feedback to Microsoft.

I feel a letter to the EU and FTC coming on!!
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My PC running Win 10 Pro got the update the day it went live - don't know whether Pro users are getting it pushed earlier than Home users?

Not noticed any real changes, other than it reset my registry tweaks to remove Shortcut arrows and increase the pixel distance before Windows registers an attempt to drag a file or folder.

Oh, and I guess because it's added some stuff, some file associations - particular images and videos - needed reconfirming.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The Creators version is mainly a 'behind the scenes' update, ready for new bits to come (hence why its big when you cant really see much difference). I do object to pushing Edge as the default browser though, although the new version of Edge is quicker.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    All the kewl kids are using Linux Mint
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    All the kewl kids are using Linux Mint

Yaaaawn ...
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite