PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze cooked pasta?

Comments

• louisaL
    louisaL Posts: 290 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2011 at 1:13PM
    What do you do with yours?

Can it be frozen at all?
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i was always told you can't reheat pasta so i tend to just eat mine cold as a pasta salad type thing
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • louisaL
    louisaL Posts: 290 Forumite
    thank you quintwins. Do you or anyone else reading this have any recipes which dont involve mayo as I always just have tuna pasta mayo (as i find it too dry otherwise)
  • quintwins
    i make my own tomatoe sauce, and top it with grated cheese

it's just 2 big onions (i prefer red) and 3 cloves garlic and i sweat them, then add 2 tins of tomatoes and then i had in a big spoonful of honey and some salt/pepper/chives/papkrica and let it simmer for about 20mins then blend it smooth with my stick blender

theres 5 of us (2 adults 3 kids) and this does us about 5 meals and is soooo cheap
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    or i do a cheese sauce which is just thinned philly, with garlic powder (i do love my garlic) and chives, i only do this if we decide to have pasta for lunch tho cause it's only 2 of us at lunch time and i can make as little or as much of this as i want
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins wrote: »
    i was always told you can't reheat pasta so i tend to just eat mine cold as a pasta salad type thing

You buy pasta based frozen ready meals which you have to reheat so I dont see why you cant reheat it x
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #982
    In 2012 I pledge to:- Save £1 a day, meal plan, be more organised, have NSDs, set myself a budget AND STICK TO IT, throw all loose change into Sealed Pot and not open it till 29th November.:money:
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oh I just had leftover pasta for lunch, mixed with green pesto, tinned tuna, red pepper, black olives and a bit of cheese. Raided the fridge! Once I cooked too much spag and hm sauce and just froze it all mixed and chopped up together. The children ate it no problem (DS1 is very fussy, if it wasn't okay he would have said). HTH
  • quintwins
    You buy pasta based frozen ready meals which you have to reheat so I dont see why you cant reheat it x

well i don't :A but that is a good point, besides i like cold pasta :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    You can re-heat pasta, no problems at all. It might be that the pasta absorbs the sauce quite abit, so it might be classed as abit rubbery IYSWIM.

When I make pasta and sauce type things. I always make more than necessary and freeze in portions. Then defrost and spread out on a flat dish and sprinkle with grated cheese again. It turns out just fine.

If its plain pasta you can spoon over a teaspoon of oil and shake around this stops the pasta sticking together.

This may not be you cup of tea as its not cooking from scratch by any means, but I use the condensed campbells soup as sauce, (currently 2 of £1 in Tesco's) Only dilute by 1/3rd of a tin to make sauce.

Mix with pasta, peas, bacon, cooked sausage, brocolli whatever you fancy really.
    I serve with bagettes/crusty bread.

The frozen version is abit more solid so I serve that with wedges.

Its cheap and quite tasty if you don't mind the ready made element.
  • Our favourite meal is from leftover pasta

Olive oil, chilli flakes or powder and one or two cloves of minced garlic in a wide bottomed pan or frying pan, warm gently and turn up heat after a minute or two, add pasta and season well - particularly salt - and cook until pasta is hot, stirring continuously. Add chopped parsley if available and serve with fresh parmesan on top. Scrape the bottom of the pan too - the crusty bits are the best bite :D
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure