Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 9th Nov 07, 1:06 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion
    • 9th Nov 07, 1:06 PM
    Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion 9th Nov 07 at 1:06 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheapest Boiler Cover

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 4:21 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 2
    • Taadaa
    • By Taadaa 6th Feb 08, 11:14 AM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 3,312 Thanks
    Taadaa
    Just out of interest, we weren't able to go onto BG because our boiler doesn't have a fuse spur. It is clearly able to be isolated in the main fuse box, but they wouldn't have it and wanted to get an electrician out to fit one at the cost of £150.

I told them to cancel it and have recieved a refudn for the months I have laready paid. They said there was nothing wrong with the boiler, but I reckon I will just keep the money I would have paid aside monthly in case it does go wrong.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
    • zoebel
    • By zoebel 7th Feb 08, 12:04 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    zoebel
    That just goes to show how these companies work. They try it on and hope that we'll just go along with it.

All the time you hear about British Gas gradually increasing the price at renewal, hoping customers will either not notice or not care. Before you know it you are paying twice the price offered to new customers. We should not accept this and make sure we get the same deal as new customers. After all it costs them a lot more money to get new customers than keep existing ones - they should charge us less if anything!
  • KJF1
    Homeserve warning
    Just a warning about Homeserve, which we've been with for the past 18 months. We needed them once, and they delivered - no complaints.

However every month or two we were getting marketing calls for their other insurance products- electrics, outside drains and the likes. We kept asking not to be contacted, but the calls kept coming.

Had enough of the marketing, so I cancelled them and went with another provider. They've called me up to say that every time they automatically renew my policy with them, I am locked in for 12 months. Apparently I was sent some paperwork last summer (I dont remember but its all carefully recorded on their database) which gave me the opportunity to cancel.

It's a small amount I'm signed up for, but the principle that some small print forces me to be a customer really annoys me. It will be perfectly legal of course.

I am now waiting for the summer, as their wonderful database won't allow me to cancel this early. I'd complain, but the script the telesales girl was clearly reading and the marketing calls give me no hope that it would do anything.
  • Bentley Boys UK
    I'm not sure they can do that. Have a look at the T&C's on the British Gas website under the cancellation section and it does not mention 12 months lock in. I've extracted the following :

"If you pay each year in advance (by cash, cheque, credit card or debit card) instead of by monthly direct debit and cancel the agreement during that year, we will give you a refund based on how long is left of any 12-month advance payment. This will depend on any deduction we may make under the ‘Minimum charges’ below. If you pay by monthly direct debit, you will not receive a refund of any payment you have made, and your agreement will run until your payment runs out."

So if you pay by monthly direct debit just cancel it.

If you have any problems I can provide the email address for the CEO at Centrica (just send me a PM).

I'm currently in dispute with them as we have been without hot water and heating for over 4 days now. Appointments have been set, missed and even cancelled due to "system errors".
  • crash800
    Can They do that ???
    Just got some advice reference my boiler a potterton powermax 155 from my local engineer said it is not worth having the heating contract do what martin says put the money in an account that you would spend on a contract and either use this for repairs or replacemnt.
    Sorted out a service through the manufacturers and they have taken the money 6 weeks before they do it is that allowed ???
  • lisafunkypants
    bg100 coverplan but I RENT???
    BG gave me the whole mind bending jargon over the phone and talked me round to taking 100cover out for the boiler in the property costing £13.95 pr month,i was a bit dubious when they pushed a inspection on me 2 days later and call it a service! Dont think it was a service as he was just checking bolier met spec for taking me on. I told the BG guy i was a little unsure wether i wanted to have the cover as i only rent he said i would have to prove it was landlords responsibility then i could cancel but from that moment i was under contract for 1yr. Day later they phone me to "see when i was in for a service????"Told a lady on phone 'just had a service' & i was unsure i needed cover & i only rent property & she said i would then have to pay £148 for service. Have i been swindled not paid a payment yet, can anyone tell me where i stand as i am on benefits due to spinal injury with 2 kids and a very tight budget.
    • codger
    • By codger 2nd Jul 08, 10:18 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    codger
    ** Hot Air & Hot Gas: Is There A Difference Here? **
    A sad indictment of the times in which we live, but every consumer nowadays realises that when companies start monkeying around with the English language, there must be a reason for it -- and that the reason has everything to do with maximising profit. Not customer service.

Here's our situation. We live in a 30-month old new-build property. Everything works fine, including the gas central heating (a Glow Worm boiler with a stupid -- and known -- manufacturing design fault involving a small, flexible pipe, though we've been shown how to fix it by a friendly local plumber: you just tap it to free up the kink.)

The boiler has never been serviced since commissioning. Following the current news update from Martin on this topic, we've just visited the BG website and yes, it's offering a "Boiler Service" for !!!163;49 instead of !!!163;79 up until August 15th. By coincidence, a flyer has also just dropped through our letterbox from BG offering Homecare 100, 200, 300 and 400 options.

Cheapest monthly option is the 100 Flexi Plan: !!!163;9 a month plus !!!163;50 fixed fee per repair. (Otherwise, !!!163;13 a month and no repair fees. )

Nowhere in the Homecare schedule is the phrase "Boiler Service" mentioned.

Instead, the terminology is: Yearly Safety & Maintenance inspection. Along with the phrase: "Includes parts and labour costs".

By contrast, the BG website offer, which uses the phrase "Boiler Service", makes no mention at all of "includes parts and labour costs".

So what's that all about? (Martin: you following this? )

Because where our car is concerned, a service is !!!163;X, but a check of its mechanical condition -- which is all that an "inspection" can truly be -- costs considerably less at !!!163;Y: the former includes parts and labour, the latter is labour alone.

On the face of it, British Gas is therefore offering an annual maintenance inspection (a check) that includes parts and labour. But a full service that doesn't.

I know British Gas's communication skills are minimal, but one would've thought the !!!163;000s this outfit spends on marketing-speak each year might at least have paid for the employment of someone capable of grasping the difference between inspections and services.

But then: perhaps British Gas has. In which case. . . ????? Answers appreciated.

Oh, and as for HomeCare, what would wise heads recommend here?

1) !!!163;49 for a BG engineer to undertake a one-off "gas pressure check, a flue test, an inspection of boiler and controls to check they're working properly and a visual inspection of your boiler to check for corrosion and leaks" OR:

2) !!!163;108 (12 months x !!!163;9) for one year's cover of the boiler and controls including parts and labour, unlimited call-outs, Yearly Safety & Maintenance Inspection (sic), plus a fixed !!!163;50 additional fee for any repair.

:confused:

PS: yup, we're aware of the small-print lock-in on the Homecare offer, 12 months' Direct Debit (which we'd cancel at the end of the term.)

PPS: have now discovered from BG website that the company is using the word "inspection" and the word "service" to mean the same thing. I think.
    Last edited by codger; 02-07-2008 at 2:01 PM. Reason: Poster needs more medication.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 2nd Jul 08, 1:41 PM
    • 27,359 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    Interesting post.

I have recently left BG homecare after many years because of the price, so have no axe to grind.

I have 2 boilers an Ideal and a Worcester combi and used to watch their service - certainly the written documentation for Homecare I have(for 2007) includes the word service several times.

Their service does consist purely of some cleaning and a quick check of a couple of items - there was never any adjusting of any item.

I have the full Servicing shedule for both boilers and indeed the requirements are exactly that - cleaning and a couple of checks.

I am no plumber but there is nothing that anyone with the most basic of DIY skills couldn't perform.

My boilers are not the modern condensing type as I suspect your 30 month old model will be; but it would be interesting to know just what 'servicing' is entailed - the manuals are usually available on-line.

P.S.
    Your £63 is confusing me! - 12 x £9?
    • codger
    • By codger 2nd Jul 08, 1:57 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    codger
    Thanks Cardew!

(And please, send me a pocket calculator. . . £63 indeed. It should, of course, have read: £2,786. Whoops, start again: £108. I am going to edit my post about BG's questionable literary skills in light of my own non-existent numeracy skills.)

Good point about the service manuals: I'll look into that.

Since posting, by the way, I've had time to plough through the various pages of BG's website and there isn't -- apparently -- any difference between what is meant by "annual inspection" and "annual service". It is, er, a service, and it does include parts and labour.

In which case, and disregarding the numerical gibberish in the earlier post (now about to be edited) we're thinking the £49 service is a better bet than the £14,963 cost of an annual HomeCare 100 contract.

Though then again. . .
  • pamela meredith
    I have had British Gas cover /Eon for years and had a service every year. I pay for full cover and have just been told I am not covered for breakdown of my central heating system, as I have not used an inhibitor. What on earth is this! Why if they service boiler every year have they not mentioned this before. Watch them they are very reluctant to keep to their promise of complete cover.
    • robert_harper_2000
    • By robert_harper_2000 17th Jul 08, 6:33 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    robert_harper_2000
    Just helping out my gf Nan and she was paying !!!163;656 once removed microwave cover and other crap reduces to !!!163;432 but might become a new customer and add the !!!163;50 excess and should drop to around !!!163;200 ish !!!163;17 pm I think ... ?
    Help me to help you
    • Mazio
    • By Mazio 17th Jul 08, 7:37 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Mazio
    I have had British Gas cover /Eon for years and had a service every year. I pay for full cover and have just been told I am not covered for breakdown of my central heating system, as I have not used an inhibitor. What on earth is this! Why if they service boiler every year have they not mentioned this before. Watch them they are very reluctant to keep to their promise of complete cover.
    Originally posted by pamela meredith
    This I assume is the fluid you add to the water that the heating supplies around the radiators you would have to put it in the header tank (top up tank) in the attic (normally) it stops corrosion and the limescale building up in the system.
    If you do a search you will find screwfix and places like that sell it.

As you say I dont understand why BG did not check this and carry out the topup for you before taking you on the service contract?
    Last edited by Mazio; 17-07-2008 at 7:57 PM.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
  • philbury
    How can a safety check legally be called a service BG?
    A sad indictment of the times in which we live, but every consumer nowadays realises that when companies start monkeying around with the English language, there must be a reason for it -- and that the reason has everything to do with maximising profit. Not customer service.
    Originally posted by codger

The card arrived through our letterbox which says 'Save £30 off our regular price' -
    "A service with a safety and energy efficiency check
    A British gas CORGI registered engineer
    Our lowest price ever - £49
    Book by 15th August."

However, see:
    http://www.britishgas.co.uk/service

On the web the wording is different and shows that it is a safety check not a proper service. A service involves a manufacturer's service kit for worn parts and a clean-up at the very least, as well as safety checks.

I rang to check if this was true and was told that an estimate would be given at the end of the 'service' for any work that needed doing on the boiler.

This is clearly misleading and misselling and I have submitted a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority. If others do the same (online v. easy) it will strengthen the case. Anyone who has booked one of these should cancel it and those who have paid already should seek a refund.
    Last edited by philbury; 02-08-2008 at 12:54 PM.
    • codger
    • By codger 2nd Aug 08, 2:07 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 2,445 Thanks
    codger
    Thanks for that Phil.

Only three terms have any relevance to this particular issue: 'check', 'service', and 'repair'.

A check is just that. A service involves (as you say) routine maintenance involving the fitting of parts as and when appropriate to the manufacturer's service schedule. A repair is to a fault outwith routine maintenance.

BG must think it a wunnerful way to make money by deliberately mixing up all those words to the point they actually become meaningless.
  • philbury
    Big rip off
    Actually I think it's very serious and tantamount to robbery.

Someone is clearly coming into your home representing British Gas and taking money on false pretenses. I do hope the ASA look into this.

Most householders don't have a clue about what goes on inside their boilers and have a natural fear of gas leaks. British Gas (in this case) are cynically abusing ignorance and the trust that people unfortunately give to large companies that spend a lot on advertising.

This 'offer' (!) goes on for another two weeks and saddens me to think of the number of people who are going to be ripped off.

I had a plumber do some work for me who was about to go on his holidays; I asked him if it was anywhere nice and he said he took his whole family to the Maldives twice a year. That was ten years ago so he probably has a house there now. There is no logical reason why plumbers (domestic heating engineers?) shouldn't make as much as dentists but at least with dentists there is some kind of transparency and a long training with expensive staff, premises and equipment, oh and professional responsibility

Plumbers on the other hand...
    Last edited by philbury; 02-08-2008 at 2:59 PM. Reason: sp.
  • archived user
    British Gas Homecare Cover
    I received a call from BG a few weeks ago to ask if I was going to renew my cover, I said I was going to compare prices before deciding. Yesterday, they rang again and I said I was still looking at cheaper options, the lady asked if I would like her to try and get a cheaper quote, she came back with 10% discount.
    Originally posted by sparky61
    Hi, I've been reading this thread and it seems alot of people are on BG Homecare, is heatteam any good? Has anyone had any experience of this company (good or bad)? We have a potterton boiler and not sure which cover to go for..
    • darleydame
    • By darleydame 6th Aug 08, 1:27 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    darleydame
    Cheapest of all
    marry a corgi registered plumber, get mine done for nothing- well that not true really as to sit the Corgi requirements costs us £1000+ a weeks work every 5 years plus £350 to service and calibrate the gas analyser to check the boiler with- and then you wonder why plumbers a expensive?
  • philbury
    Sorry Darleydame but I don't consider those big expenses at all compared to many years of education costing very many thousands.

It would oviously be wrong to tar all plumbers with the same brush but in London at least it's hard to avoid feeling that your helplessness in the face of plumbing problems or installations is exploited to the max. Anyway I'm already married to a computer programmer and they're terrible.
  • Modman
    Been reading this thread with interest and hopefully this is the right place to as for advice.

My combi boiler, an Ideal maximiser se is truly awful. It must be about 10-12 years old now, and occasionally doesn't light, so no hot water till I come and switch it on and off a dozen times. I had a repair done recently and apparently it's something to do with the scaling and the plumber said they're often replacing them at about this age.

Anyhow, my question is if it would be worth it to take out say Homecare 200 which looks like they would replace the boiler if they couldn't fix it (It covers it for scales etc) and I can't see too many restrictions on it. I just have a feeling it'll do it in the coldest of winter. Is this ethical too, it's working at the moment but even the plumber said it would only be good for a few months before it died. I don't have much sympathy towards energy companies lately with their price hike so won't feel too guilty, but don't want to be a blatant criminal/fraudster.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Aug 08, 4:59 PM
    • 27,359 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    Been reading this thread with interest and hopefully this is the right place to as for advice.

My combi boiler, an Ideal maximiser se is truly awful. It must be about 10-12 years old now, and occasionally doesn't light, so no hot water till I come and switch it on and off a dozen times. I had a repair done recently and apparently it's something to do with the scaling and the plumber said they're often replacing them at about this age.

Anyhow, my question is if it would be worth it to take out say Homecare 200 which looks like they would replace the boiler if they couldn't fix it (It covers it for scales etc) and I can't see too many restrictions on it. I just have a feeling it'll do it in the coldest of winter. Is this ethical too, it's working at the moment but even the plumber said it would only be good for a few months before it died. I don't have much sympathy towards energy companies lately with their price hike so won't feel too guilty, but don't want to be a blatant criminal/fraudster.
    Originally posted by Modman
    Firstly they will inspect your system before they will allow you to take the plan; and they will normally insist that it is working correctly.

With a 10-12 year old boiler they might not even accept you, and I suspect it is pretty certain that there will be exclusions that will work in BG's favour.

I have never heard of BG replacing a boiler under their Homecare scheme. It would be interesting if anyone else has heard of an example.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

5,774Users online

Martin's Twitter