Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • mariecc
    • By mariecc 13th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 8Thanks
    VAT urgent
    • #1
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    VAT urgent 13th Mar 18 at 1:01 PM
    HI ALL

    Don't know if anyone can help

    I am doing a house up.. If i buy all my goods and pay vat on purchase would I have to pay VAT when I get some one to fit stuff for me.

    I see it as I am the boss and am paying them a wage for doing my jobs

    so can any one enlighten me

    thank quite urgent need to know
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 62,811 Posts
    • 368,009 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    A tradesperson who charges VAT on their invoices is charging VAT on their manual labour, not on the parts you're providing.

    You are not "the boss" unless you're going to give them holiday pay, pay into their pension and actually "hire" them, pay their Employer's NI amounts and do the tax returns etc.

    Tradespeople are self-employed and VAT registered. You are not paying them a wage. You are paying their company for an invoice value, you are not paying a wage to an employee.

    If you engage a person to undertake work and if they are VAT registered and give you a VAT invoice then you pay the VAT.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10,229 Posts
    • 19,042 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    If you don't want to pay VAT on labour, just choose builders, plumbers, electricians, etc who aren't VAT registered and deal direct with them instead of going through a larger building firm or project manager who'll charge you VAT on everything.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 6,514 Posts
    • 6,074 Thanks
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    I see it as I am the boss and am paying them a wage for doing my jobs
    Originally posted by mariecc
    as has been explained, legally you are not "the boss", however what I think you are asking is:
    1. you source and pay for the materials say 100 including the VAT you had to pay when you purchased that stuff
    2. you find a tradesman who can do the job
    3. you tell the tradesman here is the stuff, i want you to fit it
    4. tradesman gives you a bill for the work he has done. What does the bill cover?

    it would be wise to agree in advance with the tradesman that his services are "labour only" and therefore his bill should be his rate per hours + VAT

    of course in the real world, depending on the nature of the work, the tradesman may well have to use some "stuff" to do the fiddly bits that you have not purchased (eg sealant, glue, nails, screws, whatever) so it is not impossible that the tradesman will bill you for labour + HIS materials + VAT but he should not bill you for the cost of any materials you yourself provided and i think the answer you are looking for is he cannot change VAT on the cost of the materials you provided
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,615Posts Today

6,798Users online

Martin's Twitter