Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 2nd Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    • 989Posts
    • 683Thanks
    sheilavw
    Esa ?
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    Esa ? 2nd Mar 18 at 6:40 AM
    My Husband had hip replacement 23/1. He completed a Self certification form and then I dropped in a 6 week sick note the hospital gave him on the 29/1 (he was in 8 days due to complications). He is on a zero hour contract and works 2 days a week normally. We heard nothing and on the 28/2 when he would normally be paid he didnt get anything. He rang and they said we should have had a form through. As his average earning was £110 he couldnt get SSP. After spending much of the day yesterday he was told to go to Gov uk and fill a form in for Universal Credit? I work full time but he had to put it as a joint claim? it said at the end if entitled will receive a payment in 37 days?
    Is this a replacement for ESA? Confused?
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 8:03 AM
    Any entitlement to ESA Conts will be based on his NI contributions in the last 2 full tax years. Was he doing the same work then i.e zero hours and similar earnings, or in a job with higher pay?
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 2nd Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    Thanks, he changed to this job due to health issues. He's worked there since jul 2016. previously he worked as hgv driver but was off for a few months before he left. he got ssp then about 4 weeks esa before he started his new job. I dont remember it being so complicated then, someone did his claim over the phone and I wasnt involved. He has paid NI contributions where applicable, some months nothing due because he doesnt earn very much.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    First thing to do is check his NI contributions here.
    https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Then check if you area is a full UC area here.
    https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

If you're arera is a full UC area and he's paid enough NI contributions in the last 2 years then he should claim New Style CB ESA and not UC.

A claim for UC will take your earning into consideration and will affect the amount he can claim because it's a means tested benefit.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 3rd Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    esa
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    Thanks, we are in a UC area. I work full time so dont expect or want anything! he is just hoping he can get the £72 or whatever it is!!
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 3rd Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    esa
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    Thanks Poppy, checked the site.41 full years! only year not full is 2016 to 2017,
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 3rd Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    Unless things have changed again in the past couple of years, a simple check on NI contributions doesn't tell the whole story for ESA Conts entitlement. It's not the amount of NI contribution, it's the number of weeks in which NI contributions were made which matters for ESA.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 3rd Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    Thanks, we are in a UC area. I work full time so dont expect or want anything! he is just hoping he can get the £72 or whatever it is!!
    Originally posted by sheilavw
    Then I doubt that, as a couple, you would get any means-tested UC payments.
    The basic couple rate is £500 pm.
    Try a UC calculator to check - https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Instead, I would suggest your husband applies for New Style (Contribution-Based) ESA
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
    and see if his NI contributions over the last 2 tax years are sufficient or not.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based
    (Per poppy above)
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 3rd Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    Esa
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:34 PM
    Yes that is all he wants to apply for but it asked if married so he had to put me down. He just wants to claim the ESA or Universal credit or whatever it is called in this area. It said at the end he should know in 37 days, his first sick day (operation date) was 23/1. His employer said they sent a letter weeks ago, and a replacement form but neither received yet!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 3rd Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Yes that is all he wants to apply for but it asked if married so he had to put me down. He just wants to claim the ESA or Universal credit or whatever it is called in this area. It said at the end he should know in 37 days, his first sick day (operation date) was 23/1. His employer said they sent a letter weeks ago, and a replacement form but neither received yet!
    As Alice has stated in post #9 with you working full time it's doubtful he'll be entlted to much, if any UC because it's a a means tested benefit. Means tested benefits take your income into consideration as well.

It will be New style contributions based ESA that he needs to apply for providing his has enough NI contribution in the last 2 tax years.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 3rd Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    It sounds like he has applied for Universal Credit. This is a means tested benefit, and it may well be that your household will not be eligible for UC due to your income.

Have you checked a UC calculator to see if any UC payments are due - https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ / https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou ?

The benefit I'm suggesting he applies for is New Style ESA. This is not means tested, but depends on his NI contributions. Please carefully read the earlier posts and the links I posted.
    These are different benefits, with different eligibility criteria. You need to apply for the correct benefit - an application for UC will not bring your husband an award of Contribution Based (New Style) ESA.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 4th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    esa
    Thanks i think he has applied for correct one because asked for sick note info and said he would have to make appt for medical? It said we are in a UC area? it is just the contributory ESA , its very confusing
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 4th Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Thanks i think he has applied for correct one because asked for sick note info and said he would have to make appt for medical? It said we are in a UC area? it is just the contributory ESA , its very confusing
    As you are in a full UC credit are it will be NEW style ESA contribution based that he needs to apply for. You will not recieve any money for UC because your income will be taken into consideration. Please read back through all of the advice you've had above. You will be waiting all that time for the UC payments to start for nothing. He needs to check his NI contributions from the last 2 tax years.

UC is a means tested benefit as clearly stated above in a few other posts.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 4th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 11,568 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Did you click on Alice's link about claiming contribution based ESA?
    (now called New Style ESA)

You have to make a separate claim for this.

How to claim new style ESA
    The way you claim new style ESA depends on where you live.
    If you live in a Universal Credit full service area
    If you live in a Universal Credit full service area, you can claim new style ESA by calling:
    Telephone: 0800 328 5644 (choose option 2, then option 6)
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Your OH needs to telephone and make a claim.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 4th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    esa
    Thanks we rang the numbers and was given another number and a link to go on. They said he can claim contributory ESA and mentioned something about 26 wks nat ins paymts. He said my income or savings doesnt count and it was £73 or something. I was just confused because it asks about me when he said married. I obviously dont want/need anything. The last part is to phone a number to make a medical appt? Just wondering if he will need to go, he should be back in work in about 6 wks
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 4th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 11,568 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Thanks we rang the numbers and was given another number and a link to go on. They said he can claim contributory ESA and mentioned something about 26 wks nat ins paymts. He said my income or savings doesnt count and it was £73 or something. I was just confused because it asks about me when he said married. I obviously dont want/need anything. The last part is to phone a number to make a medical appt? Just wondering if he will need to go, he should be back in work in about 6 wks
    It is unlikely that he will receive an assessment before he is ready to go back to work. In which case he can just close the claim and go back to work.

He will have to complete a form to claim ESA and he should do so sending in medical evidence of his hip replacement and inability to work at the moment.

As I said, unlikely he will be called in for a work capability assessment before he goes back to work.

He must complete the form. Otherwise his ESA will stop.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 4th Mar 18, 2:40 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    esa
    thanks , on the online form he put the date he went in hospital. He sent in Ssp form to work and hospital gave him 6 wk note on 29/1. they asked him all this on the form and his GP info. he ticked to give permission for them to contact them. just hoping hes done it right. the last thing is to ring to book this assesment , he tried to do it fri but it said due to weather not making any appts. he is going to ting tomorrow. i will be at work but will they be able to tell if applied for right thing? thank you everyone for ur help, its been confusing!
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 7th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    • 989 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    sheilavw
    Upsate, he got through to phone line Monday. He's asked for home visit. Despite me verifying my identify with the Post Office and getting confirmation email it said still to do. Yesterday a message in his journal for me to book an appointment to go to job centre. After holding 20 mins I got through and explained I wasnt claiming. The lady said the appt is just to verify my identity so I am going after work on friday with all my documents
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Upsate, he got through to phone line Monday. He's asked for home visit. Despite me verifying my identify with the Post Office and getting confirmation email it said still to do. Yesterday a message in his journal for me to book an appointment to go to job centre. After holding 20 mins I got through and explained I wasnt claiming. The lady said the appt is just to verify my identity so I am going after work on friday with all my documents
    This makes me think it's UC he's claimed and not Contribution based ESA (new style). I maybe wrong, if i am someone will correct me. As stated previously, he won't be paid any UC because of your income.
    • Paparika
    • By Paparika 7th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    Paparika
    I work part time, but have been off sick lots over the past 5 year and have now officially ran out of SSP.

Every time i go sick now I need to claim ESA Cont.

0800 023 4888 the message states which benefit do you want to claim, even when you get through to an advisor I made it clear I only wanted to claim ESA Cont. Only for the dates of my sick days as i was still working, as I have a hubby in full time work.

Journals are UC definitely not ESA, I've heard that word quite a few times on the messages as you call through the departments i needed. You've signed up to the wrong one.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,810Posts Today

8,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin