MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Just get a smart meter. It's a quick and easy job and gives you lots of information regards your usage. And no, they don't give you cancer, get a grip.

Your username is useless then mate!!!

Trouble is the version one only works properly with your current supplier. All the other suppliers have software differences. So when you switch you might as well throw the monitor away.

Second problem is they only supply one meter free, so if you what to upgrade to version 2, the meter has to be faulty or you pay to have it replaced.

Plus there are more sinister plans afoot to control your usages in the pipeline coming once there is a tipping point in installations.

The reasons they give in the letter are just superficial fluff.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When I was a customer of EON just over a year ago, they tried to get me to switch -the reason being that my leccy meter had reached end of life - since it had only been replaced about 12 months before I ignored the letters!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all and to confirm the statement we gave to MSE, smart meters are optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them put in.

We'll be contacting all of our customers between now and 2020 to offer smart meters. This will be via various methods including by letter. As we've told MSE, customers can let us know if they don't want to continue receiving any type of communication about this project.

Take on board the comments about the content of the recent letters and have sent this thread through to those at E.ON responsible for sending the letters including senior management.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    AndyPK wrote: »
    any members of the public got the more secure SME2 version fitted ?

Answer

E.on has told us it's currently testing SMETS2 and intends to roll these out further in the coming months.

Hello AndyPK and I can confirm, we've started installing SMETS2 meters albeit on a limited scale at the moment. We're looking to increase the number of SMETS2 installs as the year goes on.

We're also looking to remotely update a lot of the SMETS1 meters installed recently so customers can switch supplier and retain smart capability. As this is a remote update, customers don't have to be at home whilst it's done. This doesn't apply to all SMETS1 meters. Earlier ones may need a meter change to SMETS2. We'll be in touch with customers to let them know.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    mac.d wrote: »
    Lots of people don't want a smart meter for perfectly valid reasons. I personally quite like the idea of the IHD and the information it gives you, but if the IHD stops working, your supplier won't replace it, so where is the "lots of information regards your usage" then?

Never mind the fact that if I switch supplier all the benefits of the smart meter are lost anyway, and I'd be left with a meter that is more difficult to read than a bog standard non-smart meter. That's just the very basics for me personally, there's a ton of other valid reasons not to get one right now.

So thanks, but I'll continue to wait until the product is fit for purpose before choosing to get a smart meter.

Hello mac.d. Just thought I'd confirm, we've a team set up to sort out any difficulties with our IHDs including replacing them where necessary.

Malc
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all and to confirm the statement we gave to MSE, smart meters are optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them put in.

We'll be contacting all of our customers between now and 2020 to offer smart meters. This will be via various methods including by letter. As we've told MSE, customers can let us know if they don't want to continue receiving any type of communication about this project.

Take on board the comments about the content of the recent letters and have sent this thread through to those at E.ON responsible for sending the letters including senior management.

Malc

The' problem' is that your letter, and indeed the message being pushed out by most suppliers, is that this rollout programme is anything but voluntary. The worrying thing is that I can find no reference whatsoever to the programme being voluntary even on SmartGB Energy's website.

If smart meters are indeed voluntary then why is someone in authority within E.oN making statements such as:

“To support our commitment to Ofgem to install smart meters for our customer base by 2020" (Quote from MSE article dated 29 Jan)

In my opinion, it really is time that Ofgem got a grip on this by insisting that all suppliers use a standard form of words in their smart meter offers which includes a very clear statement that smart meters are voluntary. Then again, pigs might fly.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    robin58 wrote: »
    Your username is useless then mate!!!

Nope.
    Trouble is the version one only works properly with your current supplier. All the other suppliers have software differences. So when you switch you might as well throw the monitor away.
    The DCC is now enrolling SMETS1 meters and I've switched supplier and retained smart functionality on my SMETS1 meters.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    Pound wrote: »
    Eon keep trying to book an appointment even after I've told them I rent so I have no right give them permission to make changes.

Hello Pound.

Although it's best to have the landlord's agreement before changing meters, if you're the account holder it's down to you whether or not you go down this route.

As I mentioned above, let us know if you still don't want a smart meter and we'll stop contacting you about them.

Hope this is helps Pound.

Malc
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    This bothers me greatly. I like to read my meter as close to the source as possible.

Hello tgroom57.

Usually, we'll install smart meters in the same place as the existing meters. If this isn't possible, we'll talk to you about the options available.

Hope this explains tgroom57. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Pound wrote: »
    Eon keep trying to book an appointment even after I've told them I rent so I have no right give them permission to make changes.
    Same here. They rang to make an appointment several times towards the end of last year making it sound as though you HAD to have a smart meter fitted. This is despite us informing them that we rent, and asking if it was compulsory or not the first b****y time they rang!
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport