Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 29th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 98Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'...
    • 29th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    MSE News: 'We need to change your meter'... 29th Jan 18 at 4:36 PM
    Big six energy firm E.on is sending letters saying it "needs" to install smart meters in "all" its customers' homes, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal. But if you've got one of these letters and don't want a smart meter, you DON'T have to have one...
    Read the full story:
    ''We need to change your meter': E.on gives customers the hard sell on smart meters, but you CAN opt out'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 29-01-2018 at 5:18 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 29th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    It is hardly surprising that E.oN is pushing out letters like this if they believe what is stated in the article:

“To support our commitment to Ofgem to install smart meters for our customer base by 2020, we are currently reaching out to customers who have classic meters to replace them with a new self-reading smart meter”

The actual requirement as stated by Government policy is per the advice offered by Citizens Advice:

Quote: The government has set energy companies a deadline!!!8202;—!!!8202;everyone should be offered a smart meter by 2020. Unquote

Perhaps Ofgem needs to clarify why it believes that the words install and offer mean the same thing.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 29th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 27,366 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    Perhaps Ofgem needs to clarify why it believes that the words install and offer mean the same thing.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Isn't it Eon that needs to clarify the above?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 29th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    Isn't it Eon that needs to clarify the above?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    @Cardew. Normally, I would agree with you but there are too many reports in the Press and sites such as Utility Week of suppliers facing fines for not meeting their domestic smart meter rollout targets. If it was simply just an !!!8216;offer!!!8217; of a smart meter by 2020 then a letter, e-mail or call to every customer would get suppliers off the hook. I sense that suppliers are being leant on by A N Other to deploy as many smart meters as possible by 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/06/10/utility-companies-face-700m-cost-delay-fitting-smart-meters/

This is what is stated in Ofgem!!!8217;s smart meter planning letter (dated late 2016):

Quote: Gas and electricity suppliers are required by their licence to take all reasonable steps to roll out smart meters to all of their domestic and small business customers by the end of 2020. Our role is to make sure consumers remain protected during the roll-out, to monitor suppliers!!!8217; compliance with the associated obligations and potentially enforce against any non-compliance. Unquote

I have not found an updated version of this letter.
    Last edited by Hengus; 29-01-2018 at 6:07 PM.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 29th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 10,798 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    Just get a smart meter. It's a quick and easy job and gives you lots of information regards your usage. And no, they don't give you cancer, get a grip.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 29th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    any members of the public got the more secure SME2 version fitted ?

Answer

E.on has told us it's currently testing SMETS2 and intends to roll these out further in the coming months.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 29-01-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 29th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Mchambers
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    I had issues with British Gas last year. They wanted to install a smart meter and kept sending me letters as well as ems. I considered it as harassment, It only stopped it after complaining to their CEO.

I have now swapped suppliers and so far, I have not got anything with regards installing a smart meter.

I don't want one so I hope that I am not harassed again; otherwise I will complain.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 29th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 29th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    Just get a smart meter. It's a quick and easy job and gives you lots of information regards your usage. And no, they don't give you cancer, get a grip.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    Lots of people don't want a smart meter for perfectly valid reasons. I personally quite like the idea of the IHD and the information it gives you, but if the IHD stops working, your supplier won't replace it, so where is the "lots of information regards your usage" then?

Never mind the fact that if I switch supplier all the benefits of the smart meter are lost anyway, and I'd be left with a meter that is more difficult to read than a bog standard non-smart meter. That's just the very basics for me personally, there's a ton of other valid reasons not to get one right now.

So thanks, but I'll continue to wait until the product is fit for purpose before choosing to get a smart meter.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 29th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 29th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    Why would I want a new meter that's already obsolete before it's even installed?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Pound
    • By Pound 29th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    Pound
    Eon keep trying to book an appointment even after I've told them I rent so I have no right give them permission to make changes.

• tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 29th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 12,665 Thanks
    tgroom57
    Lots of people don't want a smart meter for perfectly valid reasons.

....I'd be left with a meter that is more difficult to read than a bog standard non-smart meter. .......
    Originally posted by mac.d
    This bothers me greatly. I like to read my meter as close to the source as possible.

• robin58
    • By robin58 29th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 2,783 Thanks
    robin58
    Your username is useless then mate!!!

Trouble is the version one only works properly with your current supplier. All the other suppliers have software differences. So when you switch you might as well throw the monitor away.

Second problem is they only supply one meter free, so if you what to upgrade to version 2, the meter has to be faulty or you pay to have it replaced.

Plus there are more sinister plans afoot to control your usages in the pipeline coming once there is a tipping point in installations.

The reasons they give in the letter are just superficial fluff.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 30th Jan 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    brewerdave
    When I was a customer of EON just over a year ago, they tried to get me to switch -the reason being that my leccy meter had reached end of life - since it had only been replaced about 12 months before I ignored the letters!
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Morning all and to confirm the statement we gave to MSE, smart meters are optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them put in.

We'll be contacting all of our customers between now and 2020 to offer smart meters. This will be via various methods including by letter. As we've told MSE, customers can let us know if they don't want to continue receiving any type of communication about this project.

Take on board the comments about the content of the recent letters and have sent this thread through to those at E.ON responsible for sending the letters including senior management.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Smart Meters
    any members of the public got the more secure SME2 version fitted ?

Answer

E.on has told us it's currently testing SMETS2 and intends to roll these out further in the coming months.
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Hello AndyPK and I can confirm, we've started installing SMETS2 meters albeit on a limited scale at the moment. We're looking to increase the number of SMETS2 installs as the year goes on.

We're also looking to remotely update a lot of the SMETS1 meters installed recently so customers can switch supplier and retain smart capability. As this is a remote update, customers don't have to be at home whilst it's done. This doesn't apply to all SMETS1 meters. Earlier ones may need a meter change to SMETS2. We'll be in touch with customers to let them know.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Smart Meter Display
    Lots of people don't want a smart meter for perfectly valid reasons. I personally quite like the idea of the IHD and the information it gives you, but if the IHD stops working, your supplier won't replace it, so where is the "lots of information regards your usage" then?

Never mind the fact that if I switch supplier all the benefits of the smart meter are lost anyway, and I'd be left with a meter that is more difficult to read than a bog standard non-smart meter. That's just the very basics for me personally, there's a ton of other valid reasons not to get one right now.

So thanks, but I'll continue to wait until the product is fit for purpose before choosing to get a smart meter.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    Hello mac.d. Just thought I'd confirm, we've a team set up to sort out any difficulties with our IHDs including replacing them where necessary.

Malc
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 30th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 3,655 Thanks
    Hengus
    Morning all and to confirm the statement we gave to MSE, smart meters are optional and customers can refuse any offer to have them put in.

We'll be contacting all of our customers between now and 2020 to offer smart meters. This will be via various methods including by letter. As we've told MSE, customers can let us know if they don't want to continue receiving any type of communication about this project.

Take on board the comments about the content of the recent letters and have sent this thread through to those at E.ON responsible for sending the letters including senior management.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    The' problem' is that your letter, and indeed the message being pushed out by most suppliers, is that this rollout programme is anything but voluntary. The worrying thing is that I can find no reference whatsoever to the programme being voluntary even on SmartGB Energy's website.

If smart meters are indeed voluntary then why is someone in authority within E.oN making statements such as:

“To support our commitment to Ofgem to install smart meters for our customer base by 2020" (Quote from MSE article dated 29 Jan)

In my opinion, it really is time that Ofgem got a grip on this by insisting that all suppliers use a standard form of words in their smart meter offers which includes a very clear statement that smart meters are voluntary. Then again, pigs might fly.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 30th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 10,798 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Your username is useless then mate!!!
    Originally posted by robin58
    Nope.

Trouble is the version one only works properly with your current supplier. All the other suppliers have software differences. So when you switch you might as well throw the monitor away.
    The DCC is now enrolling SMETS1 meters and I've switched supplier and retained smart functionality on my SMETS1 meters.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Eon keep trying to book an appointment even after I've told them I rent so I have no right give them permission to make changes.
    Originally posted by Pound
    Hello Pound.

Although it's best to have the landlord's agreement before changing meters, if you're the account holder it's down to you whether or not you go down this route.

As I mentioned above, let us know if you still don't want a smart meter and we'll stop contacting you about them.

Hope this is helps Pound.

Malc
    E.ON Smart Meters
    This bothers me greatly. I like to read my meter as close to the source as possible.
    Originally posted by tgroom57
    Hello tgroom57.

Usually, we'll install smart meters in the same place as the existing meters. If this isn't possible, we'll talk to you about the options available.

Hope this explains tgroom57. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,665Posts Today

7,936Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin