Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 1st Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    • 234Posts
    • 98Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...
    • 1st Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling... 1st Nov 17 at 5:27 PM
    Almost 700,000 British victims of the Equifax hack are receiving letters offering free identity protection - but only if they hand over personal details - and directing them to a helpline that many say isn't working properly...
    Read the full story:
    'Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling - here's what to do'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 8
    • Joy123
    • By Joy123 23rd Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Joy123
    I am of an age that the media sometimes regard as elderly nowadays. My letter stated personal date had been accessed but it did not state which personal data other than "included your: Name and date of birth, Your landline telephone number". If it was solely those, then they can be found easily anyway, but it would have been helpful if the company had informed me what else was included.
    I have not had contact from the company before this week.
    Originally posted by Joy123
    I am still unsure what to do about the letter.
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 23rd Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    I am still unsure what to do about the letter.
    Originally posted by Joy123
    Join the group action against them...
    https://form.jotformeu.com/HCSolicitors/data-breach-claim-questionnaire

No risk, no win no fee etc
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 26th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 19,569 Thanks
    Doc N
    Join the group action against them...
    https://form.jotformeu.com/HCSolicitors/data-breach-claim-questionnaire

No risk, no win no fee etc
    Originally posted by DennisTenus
    I'm certainly interested in legal action against Equifax, but whether Hayes Connor (which the above links to) is the right firm to take it on is another matter entirely. It appears to be a relatively unknown 2 partner firm in Bootle. They may be excellent, but I'd want to know a lot more about them before handing over any personal information and engaging them.

https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/equifax-data-breach/

https://www.hayesconnor.co.uk/portfolio-item/equifax-hack-updates/

Suite 5.5 St Hugh’s House
    Stanley Road
    Bootle
    Merseyside
    L20 3QQ

I'll be looking around and watching the situation as it develops - I imagine some large firms with a known track record will be appearing soon.
    • redux
    • By redux 13th Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 18,203 Posts
    • 24,068 Thanks
    redux
    I've just received a letter from Equifax this morning.

Does this mean either that the breach happened some time ago for my account and they've only just got around to telling me, or that there are new breaches happening after all this time, or some other explanation?
    • orrery
    • By orrery 13th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    orrery
    I've just received a letter from Equifax this morning.

Does this mean either that the breach happened some time ago for my account and they've only just got around to telling me, or that there are new breaches happening after all this time, or some other explanation?
    Originally posted by redux
    They've just got round to telling you.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Mar 18, 7:47 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 19,569 Thanks
    Doc N
    They've just got round to telling you.
    Originally posted by orrery
    Or, equally likely, their systems are so bad that they've only just found out themselves.

They do seem completely clueless - exactly the sort of outfit that should not be trusted to hold such sensitive data. And bear in mind that it holds all this personal financial data on pretty much each and every one of us without most people being aware of it. We sign away our rights every time we buy a financial product or anything requiring notional credit - for example utilities.
    • jaijai123
    • By jaijai123 22nd Mar 18, 12:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaijai123
    I took up the free offer and after a couple of emails saying "no change" have just received one from them saying "something has changed", giving my bank and two bank accounts in which they say two credit agreements have been cancelled.

I didn't recognise either of the account numbers and have no credit agreements, so rang the bank who confirmed these account numbers are not mine.

Not sure what to do next. Am rather chary of getting in touch with Equefax at all given all this and am wondering if someone is scamming their site to get even more details.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 19,569 Thanks
    Doc N
    I took up the free offer and after a couple of emails saying "no change" have just received one from them saying "something has changed", giving my bank and two bank accounts in which they say two credit agreements have been cancelled.

I didn't recognise either of the account numbers and have no credit agreements, so rang the bank who confirmed these account numbers are not mine.

Not sure what to do next. Am rather chary of getting in touch with Equefax at all given all this and am wondering if someone is scamming their site to get even more details.
    Originally posted by jaijai123
    These Equifax notifications can sometimes be confusing - the information isn't always very clear. I'm not sure that Equifax could give you any more information that they already have, but in that situation I'd be inclined to talk again to the bank in case someone is using your details to open accounts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,274Posts Today

5,507Users online

Martin's Twitter