Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • elantan
    • By elantan 17th Aug 17, 11:22 AM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    £2.21 Tilly tidied over to mortgage, the mortgage doesn't need any extra paid into it, it's not costing us much interest ( 40p a day or so) but I've been in the habit of Tilly tidying for so long it becomes second nature, I tend to go between the mortgage and a drip feed account depending on what mood I'm in more than anything,

Other plans for today are doing online training, you know the stuff you have to do, know all the answers to and yet don't take your time doing the online stuff so land up failing cause it's so boring ? Just another hoop to jump through ... yep that's the plan for today
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • elantan
    • By elantan 17th Aug 17, 1:15 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    As I'm sure you can imagine over the last few years I have mastered the art of procrastination, today's procrastination delights led me to remember to Che k my asna receipts, £2.52 on one and £1.53 on another, I really need to try and remember to stay on top of this, it's not a huge amount of money, but every little helps and with me not working at the moment it could be the thing that makes a huge difference to our finances
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • skint_spice
    • By skint_spice 17th Aug 17, 6:19 PM
    • 11,210 Posts
    • 23,533 Thanks
    skint_spice
    Other plans for today are doing online training, you know the stuff you have to do, know all the answers to and yet don't take your time doing the online stuff so land up failing cause it's so boring ? Just another hoop to jump through ... yep that's the plan for today
    Originally posted by elantan
    Hope you jumped through that hoop...
    £5000 by December 2018 £0/5000
    • elantan
    • By elantan 17th Aug 17, 6:32 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Erm nope ... not even started ... but I did save money in Asna
    • elantan
    • By elantan 21st Aug 17, 2:20 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    The mortgage payment has came out so we are now down to less than £3k, it's a nice feeling to have. Part of me is tempted to just pay it all to get it clear, but the more sensible part says El you would have to lift savings which are making a tad more than you are paying in interest so just hod yersel.

Took son to Arbroath, just awaiting a price from that, thankfully son has stuck to the plan he had when younger to wear a Feileadh-Mhor so that cuts down on getting someone to make a kilt which will save money ... It does add pressure on me to learn how to dress my son ... sheesh he doesnt do things the easy way.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 22nd Aug 17, 10:56 AM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Today's plan was visiting a friend, however, the guy that is meant to be transferring husbands pension hasn't done his work so I need to sort his mess out, will definitely need to find an IFA that will do a transfer without trying to " manage" the account as I somehow no longer trust this guy, never really have if I'm being honest, husband wanted to go with him cause all his workmates went with him.

A wee Tilly Tidy done, every bit helps .. however I have spent a tad too much in the last couple of days on safety gear for when up in the hills, still have some gloves and things to buy for Mr El but we will get there.

Still to do my computer work, still procrastinating well, I'm. Considering not doing it, if I don't do it I will be sacked, not sure that that bothers me too much, it's sacked as a job I won't be doing come November anyway, so I need to do it literally to get 2 months worth of work, but we are away basically the whole of September, so realistically it's 1 months worth of work and a lot of one computer stuff I need to do to get it
    • wildesavings
    • By wildesavings 22nd Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    wildesavings
    wow, so close! Well done. Can I also ask what mattress you went for? We're desperate for a new one
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2017 : Mortgage at 1/1/17 - £96,839 - now : £91,342 - capital reduced by £5497 so far this year
    • elantan
    • By elantan 22nd Aug 17, 6:41 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    http://www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/igel-orion-mattress-platinum/?variantSku=382700034

We got the kingsize, I know you can get double, Queen etc

I'm gonna be honest and say ... yes I know it's not cheap, more than we have ever spent on a mattress before, our last mates was £1k but from day one it was never really comfortable and we would get up in the morning feeling our aches and pains, with this mattress we have slept great from the first night, we wake up in the morning feeling as if we've slept ... it costs a lot of money but in our opinion worth every penny, it makes a huge difference physically and mentally having a good night's sleep

We did get it on 3 years interest free credit, so whilst it will take a while to pay, we won't notice the money coming out as much

And thank you ... it's been an interesting journey
    Last edited by elantan; 22-08-2017 at 6:47 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Aug 17, 8:44 PM
    • 55,072 Posts
    • 220,095 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lies in a darkened room at the thought of the cost
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 22nd Aug 17, 9:04 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Squeeze over, I will join you, it wasn't cheap Beanie ... but lack of sleep pain and stiffness in the morning needs dealt with
    • greent
    • By greent 23rd Aug 17, 8:52 AM
    • 7,082 Posts
    • 72,179 Thanks
    greent
    Our current mattress was £1k 8years ago - and I can feel that this one probably only has a couple of years or so left in it, really. Our main problem is that it doesn't fit down the (narrow, twisty) loft staircase. To get it up involved taking out all of the bannisters, including the rails around the top landing - and the help of several neighbours (I was 8.5 months pregnant at the time - no way was I getting involved!!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • elantan
    • By elantan 23rd Aug 17, 11:38 AM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Oh greent that sounds like a quite difficult way to move furniture about, hope the next one isn't as difficult. Do you get a good night's sleep with your mattress ?

Today I got another £1.34 voucher for Asna, need to get it printed off and use it next time I'm up the street, need to go get some Euro's as well, need to look out the suitcases to go also.

Still nothing from uni regarding passing etc but I go in tomorrow for a final tea and cake thing where the obligatory photo gets taken, not interested in any of that stuff but I need some information tomorrow so will need to go in.

I also need to get two new tyres, I'm thinking of going for partworn tyres, they are less than half price and just now while I'm not working that kinda suits us.

Everthing else is just plodding along nothing really new to share, still trying to learn how to do map and compass reading, still needing to work on becoming hillfit, stI'll have things I need to tick off so that I'm ready to tackle the hills next year ... but I'm getting there
    • elantan
    • By elantan 23rd Aug 17, 8:27 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    £60 for the tyres, so at least that's them done for another wee while, cake bought for uni tomorrow and a couple of cards and mugs for the people I was close with for the last 3 years, other than that no money spent.

Nothing else really to report
    • elantan
    • By elantan 24th Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    So today was the last day of uni ever ( unless I go back and do a post grad or Msc etc ... was good catching up with the people I got on well with was also good knowing I won't need to see the people I didn't get on with anymore

Went out for a bite to eat with the group and arranged to meet up again, it's very interesting listening to how we all have different plans, one is off to Kuwait, one tof London, one to Australia and two of us just staying put. ... was really good to hear the younger members hopes and dreams for their future ... and to give them a wee bit of worldly advice
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 24th Aug 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Is this an undergraduate degree? Seems a strange time to finish.

Congratulations
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • elantan
    • By elantan 24th Aug 17, 7:11 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Yeah it's an undergraduate ... I finished in July, it's just there is a lot of paperwork and stuff that has to be done so that the paperwork can go elsewhere for something else to happen to it, so the kinda final 2 hour class telling us the remainder of the process, 3 bits if paperwork to complete, other paperwork to file, meetings with personal tutors to have, then a tea party and class photo.

I still won't get my recognition till after August 30th so whilst I know I've passed and have a distinction it isn't official for another wee while... even though I finished in July, the paperwork part takes until November 3rd to sort out and graduation is Nov 8th/9th
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Aug 17, 7:20 PM
    • 55,072 Posts
    • 220,095 Thanks
    beanielou
    OOh a distinction my friend.
    Well done xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 26th Aug 17, 8:56 AM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Ohhh thanks Beanie,

Well today's plans were chopping wood for the fire and stripping the polytunnel, not sure of they are still the plans or not but we will see. Mr El has decided to try another kayaking club, the one he is a member of is OK, but it's a long drive away and the roads are often diverted so it takes even longer to get there or home, the result of which is Mr El has only been going once a month or so.

The problem with the other club is its on the same night as the folk club and also the astronomy club ( which I fancied trying out this year) so three clubs on the same night so not too sure how that will work out but it will. Haven't been to the astronomy club yet so I am unsure of the price, the kayaking club is £5 each per week and the folk club is £7 each or £3 each depending on if there are bands playing or not ( it's also byob so a relatively cheap night)
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 26th Aug 17, 10:46 AM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 20,927 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Hello El , I thought I'd see if you had a diary running as I've seen you posting around (it takes me a while to get the hang of these things!). I confess I have not read your previous threads but I've read this one through and have subscribed.

Well done on getting a distinction!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after May 45.81% £4,581.38/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,021.80/£3,000 including stores so far 34.06% of my annual budget at the end of May
    My DFD is here
    • wildesavings
    • By wildesavings 26th Aug 17, 6:56 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    wildesavings
    Mattress looks beautiful! I'm very green with envy - ours is awful and moving up the 'to do' list rapidly!

Thanks for the recommendation x
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2017 : Mortgage at 1/1/17 - £96,839 - now : £91,342 - capital reduced by £5497 so far this year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,608Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter