Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • elantan
    • By elantan 8th Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    • 8th Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    Now that that bit is done, lets get to the nitty gritty,

Now I have been neglecting my diary ( and challenge) for a while, I have had uni to deal with life to deal with and a whole host of other excuses I could give, but excuses are not getting me anywhere so it's time to sort this out.

I am now finished uni and have a new challenge so it seemed the right time to start a final diary for this 100 month challenge.

The focus as i'm sure if you have followed my ramblings so far have changed to being F.I.R.E this is still the focus, however, there is recognition that it is going to be a less direct route to achieving this goal, son has announced he is getting married in 2019 and has asked if we (his side of the family) would be willing to take on 1/3rd of the wedding bill, he doesn't hold a job down but does kinda work for himself, however, he intends on dividing the wedding costs as this

1/3 his and his future wife's
    1/3 her family
    1/3 our family,

so the focus of this part of the `100 month challenge is to get this wedding saved for ... WHILST (important part) still managing to pay off the debt AND continue with the F.I.R.E plans, I havn't paid anything into my pension this year as I have concentrated on uni so that I didn't have to do any re-sits. I will not get any wages until just before xmas (yes it takes that long to get registered and things) so essentially I will have taken a year out of saving for a pension and this is not good.

We also have a holiday planned for Barcelona ( 4 nights in Sept celebration for finishing uni), one for Salou ( Sept, taking an aunty away, this is not a holiday this will be a busman's holiday due to ill health of said aunty) one for Lanzarote in Januray (another busmans holiday with inlaw's) and one for Lake Garda and the Dolomites in July next year (this one Hubby and I are looking forward to).

We will also have breaks planned for the wobble box, as when I am not working I will be caring for inlaw's and aunty so will need sanity breaks away kayaking and walking.

I also have a challenge of doing 50 Munro's by the time I am 50, no easy task I can assure you.

this indicates to me I have a lot of ground work to do so that all of the above can be achieved.

Wish me luck and I hope you join me on the last leg of the 100 month challenge.
    Last edited by elantan; 08-08-2017 at 2:56 PM.
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • elantan
    • By elantan 8th Aug 17, 2:06 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    • 8th Aug 17, 2:06 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 2:06 PM
    Ok Mortgage

even if we dont pay any extra to the mortgage it will be cleared by August 2018, with the other plans ongoing this is going to be the case, we owe 3,180 on our mortgage.

Debt

we had cleared off the 4k credit card debt ( 0% interest) however, with me not working the over draft was going up and the charges were piling in, so we took another 4k on interest free currently sitting at 3.8k paying off 200 a month will be paid by son's wedding (I hope)

Student loan

Still floating about but I will start paying it back when I start earning money, there are no plans at present to pay this off any quicker.

Pensions

Now this is where it get's interesting, husband took a previously stagnant pension and transferred it into a managed SIPP (this will need to be dealt with when I have time to sort it out) he got offered 275k as a transfer value, so he has moved it, he also has a second one, which his company are still paying into so we are continuing this one at present but will consider transferring when the time is right.

My pension currently sitting at roughly 70k but when I am earning money I will be putting hopefully between 750 and 1k a month into to try and get it to drawdown rates before tax kicks in.

savings

We do have approx 5 in savings just now and an endowment due to mature next year giving us approx 16k, 10k of which will be for my pension and the other 6k is for savings for a new car.

so that's where we are starting from in the final leg, very different from where we were at the start of the challenge, but still a long way to go
    Last edited by elantan; 08-08-2017 at 3:00 PM.
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • elantan
    • By elantan 8th Aug 17, 5:59 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    • 8th Aug 17, 5:59 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 5:59 PM
    I've had future daughter in law on the phone quite a bit these last few days

They are trying to get things as cheap as they can for the wedding ...

So far we have the Caleigh coming in at 500 from an average price of 800 ( her friend is in a Caleigh band)

They have cut out the drinks package of the wedding receptionn saving nearly 2.5k the photographer is the family photographer so we think we can get hopefully 3-500 off the price of 2k for that.

I know someone that will make the kilt ( professional kilt maker) I also know a tartan designer, son is playing about with the idea of designing his own tartan ... we're thinking 1-1.5k for that

The church is usually 1.7k son and daughter in law to be attend the church however so should get it for approx 1k ( or hopefully less)

Wedding cake just been informed should be approx 350 and flowers daughter in law has an auntyvthatvus a florist so she should help there ... also possibly a chance of supplying our own buffet for wedding, my sister runs a university hospitality campus and has offered to organise it all ( she does it for a living)

So fingers crossed these deals continue
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 8th Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    • 7,643 Posts
    • 86,951 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    60k for a wedding
    Good luck with your plans xxxxx
    2004 387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • elantan
    • By elantan 8th Aug 17, 9:00 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:00 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:00 PM
    No 20k for a weeding divided by 3 so approx 7k each ... my nerves are stretched with 20k don't think I could even contemplate 60k lol

Hence the reason they are trying to get things cheaper ... I think the minute u put the W word in front of things prices triple
    • skint_spice
    • By skint_spice 8th Aug 17, 9:42 PM
    • 11,210 Posts
    • 23,533 Thanks
    skint_spice
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:42 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:42 PM
    Good luck, I look forward to joining you for some of those Munros!
    5000 by December 2018 0/5000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 17, 9:43 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,050 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:43 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:43 PM
    Wow.
    So you have to pay a 1/3 of a wedding.
    Hope my DS elopes

How very awesome to be mortgage free in a year

Any job thoughts?

Love to you both xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 8th Aug 17, 9:52 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:52 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 9:52 PM
    Good luck, I look forward to joining you for some of those Munros!
    Originally posted by skint_spice

Sadly for you your name is on a few

Starting next year, will need to fill you in on Wednesday''s experience
    • elantan
    • By elantan 8th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Wow.
    So you have to pay a 1/3 of a wedding.
    Hope my DS elopes

How very awesome to be mortgage free in a year

Any job thoughts?

Love to you both xxx
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Aye I know ... thought it was a bit cheeky myself tbh, but hey I'm just glad I only have 1

Start a job on October 23rd, but to be honest it's not exactly what I want so I will keep looking, eventually the right one will turn up, either way I think I will need to do loads of overtime to pay for our bit of the wedding

We still need to catch up ( skinty as well) before I start working full time
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 17, 10:16 PM
    • 55,063 Posts
    • 220,050 Thanks
    beanielou
    We do need to catch up.
    B mentioned it too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 8th Aug 17, 10:28 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Let's make a date soon then xxx
    • mizmir
    • By mizmir 9th Aug 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 7,732 Thanks
    mizmir
    Spotted you on KC's thread and tracked you down! Great to find your new diary El. Wow you are doing great - nearly mortgage free! But the wedding costs make me glad I only have dogs!! Seriously though - congratulations to your son and his partner - am sure you will get some great deals and have a fabulous day without any problem!
    • elantan
    • By elantan 9th Aug 17, 9:11 AM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    I'm wishing i had stuck to cats miz lol ... my wedding was sub 1k and was still more than we wanted ( we did a lot for hubby''s mum ... he is an only child) son seems to be a bit of a groomzilla IMO

Great to see you too, I've been away too long time to get back to it
    • elantan
    • By elantan 9th Aug 17, 10:06 AM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Well today the plans are to go out for lunch with a friend that is waiting to be paid off from her job, for her it is good news, it's maybe not been what she wanted at first but now that she has her head around the idea she us looking forward to it, she will be made redundant and will have her pension, but as she is in a bit of a niche market she will do some contract work, her health hasn't been great so this will also work in her favour

It will be good to kick ideas around with her, as she is like minded as myself regarding the idea of FIRE .... so I am looking forward to it

Although money wise I am going to have to give myself a budget
    • elantan
    • By elantan 9th Aug 17, 7:09 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Went for lunch with friend ... managed to make it a small spend day, we spent more time exploring, it was just what I needed,

Also had Shelter come and pick up our old mattress ... it was a good mattress and will be used by someone in need of it and that's good

The new mattress is just heaven, never slept on anything like it before, it certainly wasn't cheap but we took out interest free credit so it won't be too painful to pay ... so far it's worth every penny ... I have been waking up in pain for years and so has Mr El ... now we both sleep better with little to no pain ... need to add it to my debt list though ... kinda scared to as it wasn't cheap
    Last edited by elantan; 09-08-2017 at 7:43 PM.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 9th Aug 17, 8:21 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Part of the chat with friend today was based around my next challenge, the 50 munro''s by the time I am 50, my friend has excellent navigational skills and basically is very out doorsy, she has kindly offered to teach me about navigation and hill safety ( she has done several mountaineering courses)

After the experience I had doing Ben Lomond I could have kissed her, so plans are afoot on how to get hill ready for next year, so we can smash these munro''s I am quite excited to say the least

Today as I was driving to Chatelherault ( look it up if u fancy its a great wee place) I could see Dumyat, Meikle Bin and this huge mountain that stood above all others and I had a smile to myself knowing that I had climbed all three ( OK there was many more than three in my view ... but I have managed three of them) the three hills are very prominent on the skyline Meikle bin is the pointy one in the middle of a group of hills .. Dumyat is the knobbly end one and Ben Lomond just towers over them all

There is a certain sense of satisfaction knowing you have been lucky enough to enjoy the scenery up close and personal
    Last edited by elantan; 09-08-2017 at 8:23 PM.
    • ajmoney
    • By ajmoney 9th Aug 17, 8:54 PM
    • 4,868 Posts
    • 55,619 Thanks
    ajmoney
    I have moved over to follow you on your new thread. I don't seem to have much time to post but will read and make an effort to comment.
    2018 MFW No. 70 3588.14/6000
    MFiT-T4 No. 70 28278.70/29544
    Mortgage 109890.26 Savings 91799.38
    Total left to pay/save 18090.88
    • elantan
    • By elantan 9th Aug 17, 9:31 PM
    • 19,693 Posts
    • 53,063 Thanks
    elantan
    Thanks AJ, the more the merrier xxx
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 9th Aug 17, 10:33 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 59,856 Thanks
    edinburgher
    1/3 of a wedding - tell him to !!!! off

Hope life is treating you well El
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,725Posts Today

8,278Users online

Martin's Twitter