Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 194Posts
    • 131Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 5:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 20
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 12th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Read earlier posts
    - can anyone share their current discount offers on powerpacks? I suspect the discounts are "tailored" to individual usage.
    Originally posted by MattR1972
    Read post #355 - this member has listed their purchases. I think that the % discounts people are offered are the same for special packs and it's the value of the pack that is adjusted depending on your usage.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 12th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    I don't understand what you're getting at here - can you expand on this thought/logic please?

Interesting idea about trying to 'fool' their systems to get a bigger discounted pack. Perhaps try it and see what happens. Maybe it might have been better to keep quiet about the idea, try it and see what happens
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    I've got more than enough credit! £200 up... covers me so far ahead the app can't cope

As for the previous post - They've got £150+ of credit stored up from many people, but it's not going to make them a great deal in interest/investment income.

What I'd prefer (in their position) is a customer who signs up thinking it's cheap and knowing they've got the 1 year PowerShop Promise or whatever it is. But doesn't bother to buy cheap packs.

After 1 year they get an email saying you saved £xxx compared to the markets cheapest (I wonder just how they work that out too....). Or, you haven't as you never bothered to buy a powerpack... BUT here you go, have £25 quid and be happy.

Customer is happy with their £25 'credit' and stays, intending to buy powerpacks etc next year.

Customer doesn't buy powerpack so pays essentially the SVR - which is where they will make their most markup.

No doubt they'll make some markup on people like me and others on here who stock up cheap, but I doubt it's much. I think they'll grow their brand and customer base and use that to get better wholesale rates/tariffs etc. Then cut the powerpacks even more. Offer 'specials' here and there (e.g. mothers day, black friday etc etc) as a marketing gimmick, but essentially just become a regular supplier.

Good value for some, average for others - especially if you can swap and get a cheaper fix with cashback or whatever.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 12th Mar 18, 10:00 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    I think it may not turn out like you think
    No doubt they'll make some markup on people like me and others on here who stock up cheap, but I doubt it's much. I think they'll grow their brand and customer base and use that to get better wholesale rates/tariffs etc. Then cut the powerpacks even more. Offer 'specials' here and there (e.g. mothers day, black friday etc etc) as a marketing gimmick, but essentially just become a regular supplier.
    Originally posted by Somerset La La La
    I now understand what you're suggesting but I think your logic may be flawed. In general I think the kind of customer that Powershop attracts is one that is savvy - i.e. they know their annual consumption, they can do the calculations and they can see if they are saving enough money by buying the various types of Powerpacks throughout the year to be achieving the projected annual savings they were promised in the marketing literature. If they sense discounts are falling then I'm sure they will have enough about them to do comparisons and find a cheaper supplier PDQ.

I know for myself that if my prices go up by less than 5% there is a cheaper supplier I can move to (that is not the Iresa clowns) that will then be cheaper for me in the East Midlands. I suspect most Powershop customers will be at the savvy end of the customer spectrum and so will take action (move) if they sense achieved discounts are falling.
    • griffb
    • By griffb 13th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    griffb
    I know for myself that if my prices go up by less than 5% there is a cheaper supplier I can move to (that is not the Iresa clowns) that will then be cheaper for me in the East Midlands. I suspect most Powershop customers will be at the savvy end of the customer spectrum and so will take action (move) if they sense achieved discounts are falling.
    Having done my own sums I know that at my predicted usage at the start of the contract (6700kwh) my break even point against the next best supplier is 14% discount. This drops to 13% if my usage stays low (ie neither of the kids moves back in) at around 6,000kwh. So at the moment I am only taking powerpacks at >12% discount. My only worry there is if that leaves me short over the 12 months before the winter discounts kick in again and I end up having to buy at standard rate. I am fully stocked to end August at the moment.

Anyone else find that once the initial novelty of the model has worn off all this monitoring becomes a bit of a chore?

Image already added
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    Hengus

Anyone else find that once the initial novelty of the model has worn off all this monitoring becomes a bit of a chore?
    Originally posted by griffb
    I would tend to agree with you. I switched away because, with a friends and family link, I was able to beat Powershop’s offer for electricity without having to pay a lot of money upfront. All I have to do now is read the meter once per month!
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 13th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Once you know what you're doing it's easy
    I would tend to agree with you. I switched away because, with a friends and family link, I was able to beat Powershop’s offer for electricity without having to pay a lot of money upfront. All I have to do now is read the meter once per month!
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I find that now I fully understand how to run my account efficiently, it takes minimal effort to keep on top of things.

Who did you find that works out cheaper than Powershop? No-one is cheaper than my Powershop Shopper achieved effective rate (I'm in the East Midlands)
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    Who did you find that works out cheaper than Powershop? No-one is cheaper than my Powershop Shopper achieved effective rate (I'm in the East Midlands)
    If you take into account "Friends & Family" referral cashback from Octopus or Bulb, it can easily work out cheaper than a lot of providers, if you are an average or below average user.
    Last edited by ASavvyBuyer; 14-03-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    Hengus
    I find that now I fully understand how to run my account efficiently, it takes minimal effort to keep on top of things.

I brigaded family members together and we went for a mass switch to Bulb late last year and shared out the ‘family and friends’ goodies. We have all recently switched to Octopus as it was clear a couple of months ago that Bulb was going to raise its prices. If suppliers want to make these types of offers, then it is silly not to participate.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 13th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Octopus Energy nearly £300 more expensive
    Out of interest I just did a quick quote on Octopus and their cheapest tariff was approximately £300 per year more expensive than what I will pay with Powershop That's on 4800 kWh day & 3200 kWh E7.
    • Z0rba-cheeks
    • By Z0rba-cheeks 14th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Z0rba-cheeks
    I have just been looking ahead at the Powershop estimates of my future consumption, which are available in the Phone App but not on "My account".
    I'm a very high user with an annual consumption of around 12,000kWh

I have just emailed them the following question:

"Hi,
    Please can you explain why the figures being shown in the Powershop App on my phone for the months October 2018 to Jan 2019 are showing an increase of between 26% & 50% on the actual usage for October 2017 to Jan 2018?

My actual bills for the period were:

October 2017 - £79.74
    November 2017 - £71.01
    December 2017 - £94.20
    January 2018 - £77.56

Your current estimates for my bills in 12 months (2018/19) are as follows with the % increase on the actual costs for 2017/18

October 2018 - £100.65 (+26%)
    November 2018 - £106.71 (+50%)
    December 2018 - £130.59 (+39%)
    January 2019 - £113.52 (+46%)

Please can you explain the reason for the massive increase in the estimate, compared upon the previous actual.

Is there an assumption in your that there will be an increase to the current tariff?"

I'll let you know what they say in their response.
    Last edited by Z0rba-cheeks; 14-03-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 14th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Well spotted
    Please can you explain the reason for the massive increase in the estimate, compared upon the previous actual.

Is there an assumption in your that there will be an increase to the current tariff?"
    [/I]
    I'll let you know what they say in their response.
    Originally posted by Z0rba-cheeks
    Well spotted mate

Your post caused me to look at the Powershop Android app and although most of the time it's difficult to do a direct comparison, it looks like from about August onwards we may well be faced with an increase of about 30%. Like you I'm going to ask them a straight question.

I suspect it's either a straighforward increase in the standard tariff or an overall less generous discount on the Powerpacks or possibly a bit of both.

I have to say it again - very well done indeed - this is exactly what these forums are all about - sharing knowledge. I check my PS account every day BUT on my laptop. It was only your checking of the app that showed this potential increase up.

Interestingly, it's ironic that the app actually gives more useful information (the actual and projected monthly cost) than the PS website.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 14th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Message sent to Powershop
    I've just sent the following message to Powershop

Hi, the projected costs shown on the Powershop Android app appear to indicate that from approximately August 2018, prices will be in the region of 30% higher. Can you confirm this please? Specifically, can you confirm if you intend to increase the standard tariff and if so by how much? When exactly will this suspected increase apply from?

Also, do you intend to modify the overall annual achievable discount that is possible by buying Powerpacks?

I would request that you be open and honest with me.

Regards

XXXXXXX

I'll let you know what they reply.
    • Z0rba-cheeks
    • By Z0rba-cheeks 14th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Z0rba-cheeks
    Fewkeste,
    I don't see the "30% higher from August" figure that you refer to.
    When did you switch to PS? Was it in July or August?
    If so is this your tariff going up after 12 months with PS?
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 14th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    More detail
    Fewkeste,
    I don't see the "30% higher from August" figure that you refer to.
    When did you switch to PS? Was it in July or August?
    If so is this your tariff going up after 12 months with PS?
    Originally posted by Z0rba-cheeks
    My first day with Powershop was 19th April 2017. When I looked at my Android app and compared "monthly" charges from 2017 with projected "monthly" charges in 2018, then from about August 2018 the figures are about 30% higher.

I'm not on a fixed or guaranteed rate or an Easy Saver Promise - I'm on the Standard Variable Tariff.

Also, Powershop have quickly got back to me with the following message:

"Thanks for your message. I promise to be open and honest. No one in the pricing team knows anything about this price increase you speak of. If prices do increase, we will all be informed. If standard prices do change, so will the easysaver promise and powerpacks.

I hope this answers your question. Can I explain anything further?

Shamim Khaliq

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew"

So, at the customer interface level there appears to be no knowledge of an impending price increase!

Have they got back to you yet?
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 15th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    With even the "future pack" discounts now being based on projected usage (e.g. myself being offered peanuts as usage has been low, everyone getting varying amounts rather than the standard 5 x £10) - maybe it's a good thing to have high projected usage - you can stock up when good discounts are in!

When they update the predictions you'll just be further infront than they intended you to be.
    • Z0rba-cheeks
    • By Z0rba-cheeks 16th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Z0rba-cheeks
    I re-sent the question earlier today as I had had no response...

and here is the reply to my question on their "Estimates":

Hope you are sitting down.....

Thank you for your message.
    That's a very interesting question.
    Why would an electricity company predict you'll use more electricity next year than the last?
    It has nothing to do with tariffs increasing, because the graph is in units not pounds. I can only hypothesise that this is an artefact of their prediction algorithms.
    I don't maintain my electrical equipment. Perhaps it is becoming more inefficient?
    Perhaps each winter is colder than the last?

I wish I could help you more.

I do not believe in this "tariffs will increase dramatically" scare, know nothing about it, but that does not mean you are not right.
    It makes sense that as fossil fuels run out, power prices will increase. But we at Powershop are not banking on this.

Shamim

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew
    So the "interesting question" was not answered.....!
    I have emailed them back as follows:

"Hi Shamim,

Which graph are you referring to?

The figures I provided are from the Powershop Android App and are in £'s not Units or kWh.

I was not attempting to raise any scare regarding Tariff increases, merely asking the question "Why are these estimated figures significantly higher?"

These are Powershop estimates that Powershop are sharing with me, I'm merely asking what is the rationale and logic behind the estimates so that I can understand why they are significantly higher.

I await your response."
    NOTE: The same person, Shamim, appears to have answered both of us

This should be interesting!
    Last edited by Z0rba-cheeks; 16-03-2018 at 5:47 PM. Reason: update
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    An interesting response
    Well Shamin certainly seems to be a bit of a Philosopher it would appear

It is just possible that they are not privvy to plans made by senior management to introduce a price increase later in the year.

Equally of course it could just be a mathematical error in Powershop's usage and bill prediction systems - we shall see.
    • Z0rba-cheeks
    • By Z0rba-cheeks 16th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Z0rba-cheeks
    The response......

Good Evening Zorba,

Thanks for your reply.

I apologise if this previous response was confusing.

Simply, all estimations that you see on your online account are based on annual averages, along with seasonal fluctuations.
    None of the figures you see are not exact. As we get closer to those months, and as we gain more readings from you, building up a better idea of your usage, you'll find that your estimates will adjust to be in line with your usage.

Despite any estimations that you see on your Powershop account, your monthly bills will always be based on usage given that we receive regular readings. Your bills will show your opening and closing readings for that billing cycle and will show your exact usage.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

kind regards Hannah

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew

"None of the figures you see are not exact"
    ??????

Zut Alors!

"Ze Double Negative" Srikes!

So the plain answer is,
    "The figures are "best guestimates" based upon a sh*t load of data, the number of readings that I provided and an algorithm which churns out a result with a margin of error.

Simple!
    The answer is..............42!

I can live with that, providing the figures are on the pessimistic side - then I feel good as the date gets closer and the estimate gets lower....

Happy Powershop(ing)....
    • griffb
    • By griffb 17th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    griffb
    I have also noticed a large jump in the predicted cost from month 13 onwards. Could it simply be that after 12 months the PS estimates do not include potential savings from powerpacks?
    Image already added
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 17th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    fewkeste
    I'm not sure about this theory
    Could it simply be that after 12 months the PS estimates do not include potential savings from powerpacks?
    Image already added
    Originally posted by griffb
    I'm not convinced by this theory.

I joined PS in April 2017 but I only see increases of about 30% in estimated 'monthly' cost on the Android app from August 2018 onwards compared to the August 2017 cost. I only noticed it after checking the app when I read ZOrba-cheeks' post.

I normally only use the website (where of course you don't get to see the estimated and past monthly costs) just green squares for covered days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

5,774Users online

Martin's Twitter