Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    Marriage Allowance
    • 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    Marriage Allowance 2nd Jun 15 at 4:39 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 1
  • Aneleh
    • 4th Jun 15, 5:49 PM
    • 4th Jun 15, 5:49 PM
    Hi
    I hope you can help me please as there seems no help with my problem. My husband is eligible to claim MA and registered straight away. After a few weeks he got an email to apply online. As part of this process you gave to verify your identity with one of the agencies including the Post Office. we tried them all but the stumbling block is none of the bank accounts, credit cards will be accepted for the financial check. I emailed the companies and the Post Office replied saying the problem is the banks etc.. are not set up for this. I emailed the Gov helpline who said they were aware and alternative methods will be in place at some point but in the meanwhile ring up . I rang up and after wait By to endless messages about the nature of the allowance and telling me to go online it the automated system then said it was too busy to take calls and hung up. I can't find another way of sorting this out or any email address for help. There must be lots of people frustrated by this. Wonder if there was any help via MSE please. Thanks
    • le loup
    • By le loup 4th Jun 15, 8:30 PM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 3,788 Thanks
    le loup
    • 4th Jun 15, 8:30 PM
    • 4th Jun 15, 8:30 PM
    Try this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180792
    • joey2307
    • By joey2307 9th Jun 15, 9:46 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    joey2307
    • 9th Jun 15, 9:46 PM
    Phone em!
    • 9th Jun 15, 9:46 PM
    I too had problems with the application. I chose Post Office and had the problem with the financial check despite holding my current account for many years (Don't worry guys I have been round most others to to get the switching bonuses!).
    I also made the daft mistake of applying for me when I wanted my wife to transfer to me. I didn't read the instructions carefully enough.
    To be clear, the person transferring has to register, wait for email with personal link, apply with verify etc.

Anyway due to that mess and the fact I'd used my link three times so it locked me out and I didn't fancy waiting whilst I reregistered etc I phoned HMRC up. Less than ten minutes later the person I spoke to, spoke to my wife and put our application through there and then! Lovely job and within a couple of weeks my new tax code dropped on the doormat!

Lastly if you do ring them, use SayNoTo0870 or similar to ensure you're not ringing an expensive line.

Hope this helps.
    • Lori59
    • By Lori59 10th Jun 15, 2:34 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lori59
    • 10th Jun 15, 2:34 AM
    • 10th Jun 15, 2:34 AM
    Sorry if I am being silly. Can we claim this if I am not working?
    • aayush
    • By aayush 10th Jun 15, 7:12 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    aayush
    • 10th Jun 15, 7:12 AM
    • 10th Jun 15, 7:12 AM
    Can I ask if après on is temping can he claim and the partner is a house wife and how to apply an what happen re if paid in week in arrears
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 10th Jun 15, 8:01 AM
    • 6,693 Posts
    • 19,570 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 10th Jun 15, 8:01 AM
    • 10th Jun 15, 8:01 AM
    Worth repeating this post - the link above is to the existing thread, which has been running for quite some time now and contains all the information you're likely to need.

Little point in setting up this new, duplicated, thread.
  • frappy
    • 10th Jun 15, 10:20 AM
    Marriage Allowance
    • 10th Jun 15, 10:20 AM
    I am eligible for my wife to transfer the marriage allowance to me as a taxpayer. Will that increase my Tax, as with the transfer it will increase my income. We are both retired aged 76.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 10th Jun 15, 1:17 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    • 10th Jun 15, 1:17 PM
    • 10th Jun 15, 1:17 PM
    I am eligible for my wife to transfer the marriage allowance to me as a taxpayer. Will that increase my Tax, as with the transfer it will increase my income. We are both retired aged 76.
    Originally posted by frappy
    The allowance being transferred reduces your income on which you pay tax and hence the tax you pay.
    It is worth doing this if the spouse making the transfer is NOT paying tax and the spouse receiving the transfer is paying tax.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • prn6243
    Is your guide correct?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/marriage-tax-allowance?_ga=1.136634544.100693860.1433941842

Your guide states that "One of you needs to be earning £10,600 or less (not including any of your £5,000 tax-free savings interest)"

Looking at other sites including gov.uk it would appear that the £10600 earnings limit DOES include savings interest.

Please review your guide.
    • jdimsdale
    • By jdimsdale 10th Jun 15, 5:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    jdimsdale
    Am I right in thinking that gov. plan to up the amount to full unused allowance soon ?
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 10th Jun 15, 5:13 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Am I right in thinking that gov. plan to up the amount to full unused allowance soon ?
    Originally posted by jdimsdale
    What amount? Not the transferable amount, that has been fixed at 10% of the PA for the next couple of years, however, nothing is set in stone until the budget.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 10th Jun 15, 5:15 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/marriage-tax-allowance?_ga=1.136634544.100693860.1433941842

Your guide states that "One of you needs to be earning £10,600 or less (not including any of your £5,000 tax-free savings interest)"

Looking at other sites including gov.uk it would appear that the £10600 earnings limit DOES include savings interest.

Please review your guide.
    Originally posted by prn6243
    Even the gov.uk site is incorrect. It should read total allowances rather than £10,600.
  • Rebel61
    Which partner should register?
    It's obvious when you think about it, but it's not made clear in the guide, that it's the partner earning less than £10,600 who needs to register, not the partner wishing to receive the extra allowance.
    • DonnaKebab
    • By DonnaKebab 10th Jun 15, 10:01 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    DonnaKebab
    Back Dated?
    Can the marriage allowance be back dated to the previous tax year if one partner did not earn enough pre 1st April but circumstances have changed this tax year?
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 11th Jun 15, 8:21 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Can the marriage allowance be back dated to the previous tax year if one partner did not earn enough pre 1st April but circumstances have changed this tax year?
    Originally posted by DonnaKebab
    No. It commenced 6 April 2015
    • jdimsdale
    • By jdimsdale 11th Jun 15, 2:33 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    jdimsdale
    I thought I heard in autumn statement something about future plan to increase amount ?
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 11th Jun 15, 4:01 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    I thought I heard in autumn statement something about future plan to increase amount ?
    Originally posted by jdimsdale
    I can't see any mention of the MA in the Autumn Statement but it is a very detailed and boring tome.
    As a result of the personal Allowance being increased in the Autumn Statement the MA automatically increased.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Jun 15, 4:12 PM
    • 11,110 Posts
    • 29,669 Thanks
    suki1964
    How long have people waited for the invite? I registered my interest about 6 weeks back and not heard anything
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • steadyat109
    • By steadyat109 11th Jun 15, 4:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    steadyat109
    My wife registered her interest on 5th March 2015 on line and received an acknowledgement saying she would receive details on how to apply within 14 weeks. She has not received anything since 5th March. There is a telephone number available but the cost I believe is 9p per minute and I suspect you will be kept waiting for a while.
    Any suggestions please? Thank you.
    Last edited by steadyat109; 11-06-2015 at 4:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,665Posts Today

7,936Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin