Monthly income

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    planteria wrote: »
    i am interested in this kidmugsy. can you explain more, and why you say this? and what about at this very moment, being told that the bond bubble is due a burst?

Personally I wouldn't buy bonds for the reason you say. But if someone is keen to, then an ISA is where to do it because the interest payment is tax-free in an ISA. With equities, the dividend gains no advantage from being in an ISA if you are a 20% income tax payer. Even if you are a 40% payer, equity dividends suffer less from being received outside an ISA than bond interest does.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2013 at 12:09AM
    As you wish to focus on UTs another to consider for spread is Newton Global High Income.

Have you considered infrastructure ITs - HICL, JLIF, INPP?

Edit:- Fidelity Money Builder Balanced maybe a catch all - the MB Income has taken a bit of a knock recently.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Taking on board the comments above, for better or probably worse knowing me, I have made the first tranche of investments in this years ISA.

£1000 Invesco Perpetual Distribution Z Inc.
    £1000 Invesco Perpetual Monthly Income Plus Z Inc.
    £2000 JOHCM UK Equity Income A Inc.
    £2000 Jupiter Strategic Bond I Inc.
    £1000 Kames High Yield Bond B Inc.
    £2000 Schroder Income Maximiser Z Inc.
    £2000 Threadneedle Global Equity Income Z Inc.

I'm aiming to maintain a float of two to three thousand held in cash on the account for buying any significant dips. It's not ideal but given savings rates elsewhere... the transfer of the remaining 40K is not yet complete.

A Property IT is something I will look at. I am stuck in the stock/bond mentality though. I have LTBH property growth (in theory) funds elsewhere but I have read IT information showing good income from property.

In truth I'm still leaning towards a larger stable of funds, at least to start and then let things evolve rather than heavy investment in a concentrated few, still don't know quite what to do for the best regards bond allocation. I see the argument for their inclusion and the reliable income they provide which could feed stock income fund purchases when they're on a relative discount.

Well, I'm not aiming for perfection so will be quite content to settle for moderate performance long term, which is probably the best I can ever hope to achieve anyway with this type of investing.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • grizzly1911
    JohnRo wrote: »
    So here's a list of the funds that I've been considering. I confess I'm finding it very difficult to select any sort of "winner", performance figures are from trustnet but I don't hold any great faith in their relevance going forward. The yield figures will probably be wildly inaccurate too looking forward.

43rs.jpg

Is this your own spreadsheet or is it a download from a somewhere like H_L?
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • JohnRo
    Just one I compiled in open office - the numbers are pulled from trustnet and the OCF and yield figures cross referenced with Charles Stanley's website. I don't hold any great faith in the quoted yields though, that's something I'll have to discover as the months and years roll by. Some of the annualised returns may be a bit off too since i might have forgotten to switch to "reinvestment off" for one or two funds when pulling those numbers.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • grizzly1911
    JohnRo wrote: »
    Just one I compiled in open office - the numbers are pulled from trustnet and the OCF and yield figures cross referenced with Charles Stanley's website. I don't hold any great faith in the quoted yields though, that's something I'll have to discover as the months and years roll by. Some of the annualised returns may be a bit off too since i might have forgotten to switch to "reinvestment off" for one or two funds when pulling those numbers.

Thanks I was just hoping I could shortcut the work needed as it was a nice succint summary.

• BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    I would seriously look at a number of investment trusts - City of London, Murray Income, Murray International etc.

OK share prices have risen in recent months but you should easily be able to secure a solid 4% for starters and this will rise in line with inflation each year.

Here's a recent article on diy investor using ITs for income which may help
    http://www.diyinvestoruk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/investing-for-income-part-2.html
  • JohnRo
    Ark_Welder wrote: »
    What is the reasoning for the two IP funds?

Nothing more than wanting to compare the two, real world, side by side and decide whether one is clearly better than the other.

Thanks for taking time to make a thoughtful post, it's great reading.
  • JohnRo
    BLB53 wrote: »
    I would seriously look at a number of investment trusts - City of London, Murray Income, Murray International etc.

OK share prices have risen in recent months but you should easily be able to secure a solid 4% for starters and this will rise in line with inflation each year.

Here's a recent article on diy investor using ITs for income which may help
    http://www.diyinvestoruk.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/investing-for-income-part-2.html

Thanks for this, I do intend to make IT purchases. Been looking at those mentioned and others.

There will be an IT property element too.
  • JohnRo
    Right, Investment trusts.. This is the interim list and I'm quite happy to admit I have limited knowledge about how IT's operate, this is simply a list I've quickly compiled based on various web searches, where they are either high in yield tables and/or rated by various pundits.

I know it's far from comprehensive, just have to start somewhere. I need to try and weed out the less suitable candidates based on past performance, yield and value for money (the bit I don't like about IT's) and also just my general impression gleaned from reading various websites about said trust.

As always I'll be more than happy to hear anyone else's opinion.

At this stage as already mentioned I've switched my thinking towards holding a much larger number of investments with smaller allocations to each than the other way.

So, the longlist

Aberdeen Asian Income Trust
    Aberdeen Smaller Companies High Income
    Aberforth
    Acorn Income
    Artemis Alpha
    Bankers
    Blackrock World Mining Trust
    British Empire Securities & General
    City of London Trust
    Dunedin Income & Growth
    Edinburgh
    Finsbury Growth and Income Trust
    Invesco Perpetual Income & Growth IT
    Jupiter European Opportunities
    Law Debenture
    London & St. Lawrence
    Lowland Investment Company
    Murray Income Trust
    Murray International Trust
    Pacific Assets Trust
    Schroder Real Estate Investment Trust
    Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust
    Shires Income
    Standard Life Equity Income
    Temple Bar
    Troy Personal Assets Trust

Anything blatantly obvious or personal favourites missing from this research list?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback