Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ardeche8
    Lost money on expired gift card!!
    • 29th Mar 12, 2:03 PM
    Lost money on expired gift card!! 29th Mar 12 at 2:03 PM
    Hello,
    I am really quite cross as I have a gift card for House of Fraser. I just rang up to check the balance, I knew there was a problem as it was not acknowleding my card online. Only to be told that my card has expired!! Thankfully it only had about 6 on it - (but 6 is 6!!) I asked if i could still get the money and was told NO!! The cards expire 24months after the last load.
    They must make no end of money this way! I urge you to check your cards, many of my friends have just found themselves in the position.
    Does any one know if there is any legal right to claim back this money and how to go about it?
    I did get an address for House of Fraser to write to and will be dropping them a line.
Page 3
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Feb 17, 8:15 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 2,798 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I think it's a bit of a scandal that many retailers are raking in money selling gift cards that get forgotten about until after the expiry date. Selling a piece of plastic for 100 can't be ethical can it? It should be legislated.
    Originally posted by Pound
    We were given them from work as a bonus, there was some reason for tax purposes it was better than just being given it in your pay but I don't recall why. The ones we had were the ones you can convert to Amazon or spend in loads of stores so wasn't difficult to use, hoarding them is just asking for you to forget about them and they expire. It's also a bit less impersonal than money I guess
    • knodge41
    • By knodge41 12th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    knodge41
    This can happen with a gift card you have not actually purchased or been given by a third party.

For example, if you promptly return an unwanted gift at John Lewis using the dispatch note you receive a refund in the form of a gift card.

You may then easily choose a replacement item costing less than the value of the card and forget about the balance. This happened to me as I was totally unfamiliar with gift cards and unaware they had an expiry date. So this is not quite a credit note, is it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

5,774Users online

Martin's Twitter